How do I change password to access workgroup?

Hi. There’s 1 password to connect to the network. Then if you want to watch any videos on your pc you have to connect to the workgroup and enter a username and password unless you clicked the checkbox to make the media player remember them. Where do I change this username and password? I’ve been looking through Windows Control Panel and can’t find where you set it up. It can’t be the Windows login info because I don’t use a password to login to Windows. I go straight to the desktop.

In Network Setup on the media player, if you scroll down a bit, there’s “Clear login info for network share”. If you select this, does it just clear the username and password from the network share login window so you have to type it in again and then click the checkbox so it remembers them or will you have to set up a new username and password for connecting to your network share? I didn’t want to select it since I don’t know how to set up a new username and password.

Anybody ever have playback issues with long files. Eg. a 2.5 hour movie? It works fine for the first 2 hours and then it starts to act funny. It might play for only 10 minutes and then kick me out. Then I have to start it again, go to where it kicked me out, it’ll play another 10 minutes and then kick me out again. This only happens beyond the 2 hour mark. This only happened once but I’ve tried it with very few 2.5 hour movies. On 1 or 2 occasions, it wouldn’t play at all beyond the 2 hour mark. These were also 2.5+ hour movies. The movies always play fine from my PC. I haven’t updated the firmware because I don’t know if that will fix it or make it worse. “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” It works most of the time so I don’t know if I want to update the firmware. There’s nothing worse than an update that creates new problems.

Thanks.

locutus85 wrote: Where do I change this username and password? I’ve been looking through Windows Control Panel and can’t find where you set it up. It can’t be the Windows login info because I don’t use a password to login to Windows. I go straight to the desktop.

It IS the windows login.   If you don’t use a password, then you need to disable “password protected sharing” in the Advanced Sharing Settings.

1. I’m on XP which I forgot to mention so where are sharing settings in XP? 

2. I’m not sure you understood. Aside from the occasional problem with long movies, it works fine. I enter my password to connect to the workgroup and it works so why would I disable something? My question was “How do I change the password?”

To turn off password protected sharing in XP, you enable “Use simple file sharing (recommended)” in My Computer…Folder Options…View tab. It was already enabled. So password protected sharing was already disabled. I still get the prompt for a password to connect to the workgroup unless I check the box to make the media player remember it. Once again, the question was how to change the password. I don’t want to disable it.

locutus85 wrote:

To turn off password protected sharing in XP, you enable “Use simple file sharing (recommended)” in My Computer…Folder Options…View tab. It was already enabled. So password protected sharing was already disabled. I still get the prompt for a password to connect to the workgroup unless I check the box to make the media player remember it. Once again, the question was how to change the password. I don’t want to disable it.

Well, for one thing, you’re not logging into any Workgroup.  Workgroups don’t require or use passwords.

You’re logging into an account on the computer.

It’d be under Control Panel / User Accounts / – select the user – and change the password.

https://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/windows_password_change.mspx?mfr=true

That’s the login password. As I said before, I don’t use a password to login to Windows. If I don’t use a password to login, how can I change it? If I go to User Accounts and click my username, there is no “Change password” link. There are 5 links:

Change my name

Create a password

Change my picture

Change my account type

Set up my account to use .NET Passport

I cannot change my login password because I don’t have one as I said in my first post. You’re right, it’s not the workgroup you log into but I don’t think it’s the account. My account name is locutus. If I was logging into my Windows account when using the media player, it would show my account name on the screen after selecting “Windows Shares” (From “Select Content Source”, I pick “Network Share” and then “Windows Shares”). It doesn’t show my Windows account name; it shows my computer name which is E8400. Right-click My Computer…Properties…Computer Name tab. So you log into the computer - not a specific account. This definitely has nothing to do with the Windows login password since there isn’t even a “Change password” link in User Accounts.

locutus85 wrote:

Once again, the question was how to change the password. I don’t want to disable it.

• *> * * *
      locutus85 wrote:

I cannot change my login password because I don’t have one as I said in my first post. 

Dude, you’re talking in circles.  *WHY* do you want to CHANGE your password if *NONE IS SET?!*

As has already been explained (yet you keep asking circular questions) … if you’re not using a password, you disable password-protected sharing.   Then the WD connects without need of a password.

The “Tell it to Remember” thing is irrelevent.   That just means it’ll take whatever you answer and store it for future use.  If you don’t check that, it’ll do it over and over and over.

By the way, I don’t remember the Live / Live+ even having that option… which version of firmware are you running?

What is it you’re actually trying to ask?

LOL

Dude, I’m not talking in circles. You’re taking me in circles. 

“WHY* do you want to CHANGE your password if *NONE IS SET?!*”

If I click the reset button, it asks for a username and password before I can access the files on my pc. Are you saying I’m imagining that? There IS a password and that’s what I want to change which is what I said in my first post. I want to change it to make sure my hardware is secure. If I scan for networks, I can detect 7 in addition to my own so hacking is a possibility. I know the checkbox is to make it remember. I watch videos from my PC all the time and it doesn’t ask me for the password so obviously I’m using the checkbox. YOU said the password it’s asking for is the Windows login password and that I should disable password protected sharing. It’s already disabled. I have XP and “Use simple file sharing (recommended)” is checked which means password protected sharing won’t be used. Then YOU said I should change the password even though I said in my first post I don’t use a password. In User Accounts there isn’t even a “Change password” link. Those are the facts but they don’t make sense to you so you say I’m talking in circles. I’m just giving you the facts and YOU’RE taking me in circles.

You said “WHY* do you want to CHANGE your password if *NONE IS SET?!*”

I explained in the above paragraph why I want to change it. As for it not being set, I would say that this proves that password protected sharing has nothing to do with the password prompt from media player.

“if you’re not using a password, you disable password-protected sharing.   Then the WD connects without need of a password.”

If I push the reset button, I will be prompted for a password even though password protected sharing IS disabled. I’ve gone through this several times - whenever the unit crashes. I also don’t use a login password. This proves the username and password prompt have nothing to do with password protected sharing or the Windows login. You probably knew that but rather than admit that you don’t know the answer, you take me in circles. What a waste of time. I’m done with this.

Dude, after the player has been reset simply click OK when you’re asked to enter the password.

Yup… Which is exactly what the manual says, so I assumed he already knew that! :slight_smile: