How can I confirm my WD external drive has failed?

I have a WD My Book World Edition External hard drive.  I think it is a 2T configuration, with no RAID.

It has an ethernet (making it an NAS?) and a USB interface.  The USB interface is presumably used for attaching another external USB drive to this WD drive.  I had used this connection before.  I usually use the ethernet interface to connect my WD MB drive to the router, from there I accesse it from my computer.

I had been using it as recent as a week ago.  Then suddenly I couldn’t access it anymore.  Just simply disappeared.  Can’t see it from my PC.  Can’t see it from my router’s management console (I had assigned a fixed (local) IP for the drive).

Tried the USB cable to connect to a PC directly.  The drive was not able to connect.  I don’t really hear any ticking noise from the drive.  The light is still on.  Just can’t have any connection to do anything.

Is there a way to determine if the drive has definitely failed?  I guess to put it forward first, if it has failed, what’s the best way to recover the data?

Thanks much for you ideas.

Hi, the USB cable wont work to connect the my book to the computer, only to add more space. Try pressing the reset button on the back of the my book for 4 seconds. 

1 Like

Reset that is.  Thank you.

Was I beaten up by technology?  These things scare me.  There was no way to tell how things are.  Then all a sudden they stop.  Thank God.  It still works.

Thanka again.  You are the man.