How can I be sure My Book Duo is encrypted?

Hi

I have recently bought two My Book Duos for use for backup purposes. I understand that these use hardware encryption. I used the WD Security Software to set passwords. It is a simple and easy process, but there is no reassuring indication that the drives are encrypted. When I’ve encrypted external hard drives using Apple’s Disk Utility it says “encrypted” which I like :slight_smile:

In the manual it says that encryption takes place depending on what country you are in. If you are in Russia, for example, there is no encryption. Well I’m not in Russia I’m in the UK and I don’t think there are any laws against encrypting here. However this could be/could not be encrypted element further makes me wonder if the drives are indeed encrypted.

So, is there any way that I can confirm that the drives are encrypted?

Thank you.

Hello,

Please be informed that The WD Security password protection is a 256-bit AES encryption which is one of the most secure encryption methods. If a password is set on the drive then the information stored on the hard drive cannot be retrieved from any computer without entering the password.

You could check out the following link for more information: WD Security Online User Guide and Solutions

1 Like