Hooking WDTVlive directly to computer

I just got my new WDTVLIVE and UI would like to hook it up directly to my computer which sits right next to my TV. Can I just hook it up with a male to male USP or do I need to use an ethernet cable? I tried the USB last night but when using the WD disc, it said no devices were found. I assume it’s because I have to use(buy_) an Ethernet cable, but I am not sure. thanks

rbico wrote:
I just got my new WDTVLIVE and UI would like to hook it up directly to my computer which sits right next to my TV. Can I just hook it up with a male to male USP or do I need to use an ethernet cable? I tried the USB last night but when using the WD disc, it said no devices were found. I assume it’s because I have to use(buy_) an Ethernet cable, but I am not sure. thanks

You need a Ethernet cable. The USB ports are only for drives and Wi-Fi adaptors.

Thanks for your reply, but - I just called WD and they said I cannot connect the WDTVLIVE directly to a computer; that I HAVE to run it through a router. Although that sounds really stupid and wrong, is it?

I do have a Linksys WRT54GL router downstairs from my new setup. My main computer that sits next ot the tv (and WD device) is on the next floor up from that router. I use a Linsys WMP54G adapter in my new co to connect to the downstairs computer for internet and printer access. Is there a wireless USB device that will work with these? And if so, would that USB woreless device strem from the computer right next to it (withe the adapter) or would it go to the router first, then to my computer, then to the WDTVLIVE? Regardless, I would prefer over all to just hook up my computer directly to the WD device with an ethernet cord and forgo the wireless all together.

You CAN hook it directly up, but:

1>  You will NOT get any enhanced services (YouTube,Pandora, etc)

2>  You will ONLY be able to access files on that one computer.

3>  If you know what you’re doing, you can set your computer in BRIDGE mode and fix #1 and #2.

4> Any CONNECTION TEST will ALWAYS fail because it won’t be able to reach a DNS server.   This won’t prevent the unit from working, though, reading Network Shares.

thanks for your reply. so I just hook it up via cat5 (not USB) to my new computer and I should be good to go? Would I need to do anyhting else or should the WD device recognize my computer? I called WD the guy there hinted that I could use the CAT5 but he was unsure of what the outcome would be. I am fine forfeiting youtube and access to my other computers - I really only want to access the files on the new computer. I am relatively computer knowledgeable, but not so much networking. In case I get ambitious, can you direct me to somewhere that might be a good place to learn how to configure the bridge mode so I might fix #1 and #2? thank you and I will report back my experience.!

rbico wrote:
I do have a Linksys WRT54GL router downstairs from my new setup. My main computer that sits next ot the tv (and WD device) is on the next floor up from that router. I use a Linsys WMP54G adapter in my new co to connect to the downstairs computer for internet and printer access. Is there a wireless USB device that will work with these? And if so, would that USB woreless device strem from the computer right next to it (withe the adapter) or would it go to the router first, then to my computer, then to the WDTVLIVE? Regardless, I would prefer over all to just hook up my computer directly to the WD device with an ethernet cord and forgo the wireless all together.

If you want to go wireless then you just buy an approved USB Wireless adaptor and plug it into one of WDTV USB ports. You then connect to your router via Wi-Fi. This will give you access to youtube etc and your network. You would then be able to connect to computer folders on your network via network shares.

Approved list of USB Wi-Fi adaptors. Be careful about the version numbers etc. - others not on the list may work if they have a compatible chipset.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3805&p_created=1255474998&p_sid=S_wms7Nj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_srch=1&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9NzEsNzEmcF9wcm9kcz0yMDgsMjk5JnBfY2F0cz0mcF9wdj0yLjI5OSZwX2N2PSZwX3BhZ2U9MQ!!&p_li=&p_topview=1#wireless

You will need to use a CROSS-OVER Cat5 cable, unless your Ethernet adapter in the PC supports Auto-MDIX (most don’t.)

You’ll need to do everything else as described in the link I gave you, and that’s just to start.   You’ll also need to set up your File Shares and all that jazz, too.

thanks for the information. I don’t see a link, but I did just but a crossover cat5, so I am at least half was there. I will research BRIDGE Mode.

my router (a -G model) is listed on the site but the guy at WD said -G wont work and “isn’t meant for streaming”. From what I have read here, streaming 1080 over any wireless is iffy, but on a -G I imagine it is less stable. I’d rather go hard-wired I think. Thanks for your help, though.

A ‘G’ wi-fi network can probably handle lower bitrate 1080p files adequately enough.  Mine certainly handles 720p files without issue (usually under 4Mbps bitrate).  I stream wirelessly from a PC network share every day, no problems.

A cable is definitely safer though.  ;)

okay I setup the wd with my cat5 crossover and I was able to briefly access my PC and the sample clips that the WD LIVE install CD put on my computer. Aparently, the “user” fields in the C drive are defaultde with the proper share permissions, so I was able to watch “wildfire” clip, so it seems as though I am able to access my PC through a simple Cat5 x-cable which is a relief. Unforutnately, I was unable to setup the propoer permisions for the folders with content I actually want to watch, so I still have some work ahead of me. I messed around with it for about an hour and then turned it off out of frustration. I see that network share problems are one of the biggest issues here, so I will spend today reading about it. thanks for your help. I will post back what I find out.

This is a very interesting topic. However I won’t be able to achieve this anytime soon because the only cables linking my computer with my living room are CAT3. Max speed is around 10mbps - 15mbps if I read correctly, probably not enough for streaming my kind of media.

I tried adding a CAT5 cable in the pipe leading to my living room but it just got stuck somewhere in the middle, I might call a professional to do it someday.

Well, don’t give up on Cat3 too soon.

Cat3 will support higher bandwidths for short distances.   

Try it; it might work fine.

Cat5 is required for 100 Megabit for distances UP TO 100 meters.

Distance from my room to living room in Cat3 is about 30 - 40 Meters. I don’t think it will support this much for more than 10 mbps. Also unfortauntely the Cat3 going to my living room is untwisted pair and only has 3 pairs instead of 4 required by ethernet for grounding. I don’t even know how the Live would react to that if I connected with only 3 pairs.

well things ■■■■ so far. I cannot access anything. Netwokr setting indicate no no connection. I had it briefly the other day but couldn’tr access my files only the WD samples, but now it’s all gone

will post more once I fiure it out.

Heheh…  If it’s Untwisted, then it ain’t Cat3.   10 and 100 Meg only require two pair.   pins 1&2  and pins 3&6 are the two pairs.

well, back to MY issue, hijackers (just kidding). I was able to get things running last night. I didn’t realize that with the WD Live that I had to wait about 5 minutes for my device to recognize the network. So if I turn on the WD and try to access the netowrk right away I get nothing, but if I wait 3-5 minutes it’s there… Probably some of my problems were in not waiting long enoigh before abandoning my efforts. Now Movies play fine, no sluggishness on anything so far (up to 1080P). No inernet connection, but I knew I would have to work for that.

This tutorial helped me set up my folders for sharing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQstgQ4eJCM&feature=player_embedded

Now a few thoughts after playing with the device for a few hours:

~seems lame that it takes 5 minutes to recognize a network. Any sugestions?

~I don’t like that I can have stereo or digital audio, but not both like my TV and DVD player can do. Sometimes I find it necessary to supliment the audio with my TV’s speakers.

~I like that I can turn subtitles off by default, but I woud also like to be able to make english the default language.

~ I have a folder filled with MP3s showin up under video. And other folders that don’t have anythig in them showing up as well. I can unshare the uselese ones, but I would prefer the MP3 folders to show up under audio.

these are things I will probably figure out as I research and play with the device more. maybe a custom firmware or something will help. For now I will give this device a 10 out of 10 for it’s concept, a 1 out of 10 for it’s ease-o-use, an 8 for interface and a 2 for the remote which is super-lame.

thanks for all of your help.

rbico wrote:

~seems lame that it takes 5 minutes to recognize a network. Any sugestions?

No, that’s just one of the nutty things about Microsoft Networking.   I use a QNAP NAS which is set to be the Master Browser for my network.   I barely have to wait 10 seconds for the live to see it.

~I don’t like that I can have stereo or digital audio, but not both like my TV and DVD player can do. Sometimes I find it necessary to supliment the audio with my TV’s speakers.

What do you mean?    Both the analog and HDMI audio outputs are operating at the same time on mine…

~I like that I can turn subtitles off by default, but I woud also like to be able to make english the default language.

~ I have a folder filled with MP3s showin up under video. And other folders that don’t have anythig in them showing up as well. I can unshare the uselese ones, but I would prefer the MP3 folders to show up under audio.

Yup, we’re all waiting patiently for that to be fixed.

these are things I will probably figure out as I research and play with the device more. maybe a custom firmware or something will help. For now I will give this device a 10 out of 10 for it’s concept, a 1 out of 10 for it’s ease-o-use, an 8 for interface and a 2 for the remote which is super-lame.

thanks for all of your help.

TonyPh12345 wrote: >>> No, that’s just one of the nutty things about Microsoft Networking. I use a QNAP NAS which is set to be the Master Browser for my network. I barely have to wait 10 seconds for the live to see it. I’ll give that a look. >>> What do you mean? Both the analog and HDMI audio outputs are operating at the same time on mine… I have simple analog audio wires sent to my TV and Toslink digital audio sent to my surround sound. in WD If I leave “audio setting” with stereo, then I get no surround sound; if I set it to digital, then I get no TV sound. maybe my TV can’t decifer a surround signal. It is not HDMI. ~I like that I can turn subtitles off by default, but I woud also like to be able to make english the default language. ~ I have a folder filled with MP3s showin up under video. And other folders that don’t have anythig in them showing up as well. I can unshare the uselese ones, but I would prefer the MP3 folders to show up under audio. >>> Yup, we’re all waiting patiently for that to be fixed. ~~I will, too Thanks for your reply.