Home Duo Encryption

Hi all,

Can one of your guys with a Home Duo or WD support staff confirm if you can encrypt the data/drives on the Home Duo?

I know there is a way to do it on the My Cloud Mirror. I wanted to make sure this could be done on the Home Duo as this is one feature that I would need for a NAS drive.

Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

Hello laa.

You cannot encrypt your data on My Cloud home duo device. However, you can set a passcode through the mobile app of the device:

Please refer to the user manual’s page number 28 to know how can you set passcode:

Hi Logan!

Thanks for the reply, although a bit disappointing. Is there anything in the works via and update? How secure is the passcode/password that can be used (128/256 AES)?

Thanks

Hello Laa,

The My Cloud Home mobile app supports a 4 digit passcode and Touch ID and FingerPrint function to unlock and access the My Cloud Home mobile app.

A Passcode must be configured on the mobile phone before it can be configured in the My Cloud Home mobile app.

Also, For Android phones that support a Passcode, please refer to the manufacturers Knowledge Base Articles, User Manual or contact their support department.

The 128/256AES security depends on your phone model.

Thanks for your reply Logan, I fully appreciate the security for the mobile apps.

My questions is more is there encryption/the ability to encrypt on the disks?

I think the answer to that question is a No

drlucky,
My first post…

I am really excited by the NAS technology from WD and have been a purchaser of external drives from them for some time. Thanks, whoever, for pulling this prouduct together.

Now my addition to the conversation:

1)Given that apple allows at least six multi-character type passcodes might that be an enhancement for future Dr upgrades?

and 2) Beyond that, what options are there for those who are tinfoil hat wearing curmudgeons, to use the home duo purely as a local ethernet 16tb mirror nas without lurking out into the web for mobile or remote access at this time?