High Pitched Grinding Noise WD Red 4TB

Bought a WD Red 4TB CMR drive on Black Friday. After about an hour of copying files it started making a grinding noise, sounded like whistling a little. Checked the health of the drive and found 1 bad sector. All the files on the drive were backed up already so didn’t lose data. I formatted the drive a few times and tried again, but still the same sound. After a couple of days the drive just stopped working. It was seen in the bios but Disk Management in Windows nor GParted in Linux could see the drive at all.

Had Amzaon send a replacement. Before using the drive I used HDTune for check the drive. Found no errors and did not hear any unusual noises, so thought it was fine. When I started copying files to the drive, it was loud. No loud grinding, but normal hard drives sounds but louder than other drives. This morning, though the loud grinding has started. Even when not copying or accessing files, it will make the noise,
Both of these drives were manufactured in Aug '21. Maybe there’s a bad batch out there.

Hi @jjis2010,

Please refer to the below link to check the article Why is my hard disk drive making noise:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16588