Hidden Partition & data transfer

Hello!

We use this gadget since two days. What we found out looking at the network switch is, that the player is transfering data permanently over the net, when we watch local movies. It restarts from itself even if we shut it down via 3sec button down and continuous to connect the net. So, that tells me: It’s always calling home!

This behaviour combined with the hidden partition/system (read message 8 from this thread  ( 1) and the fact, that we have to confirm always an american government covered TOS, when logging into the webpanel, I decided to let some people reverse engineer this little box.

I promise, if we can find things which are against german privacy laws, WD won’t have a good time!

Otherwise I would excuse my suspicious thoughts. We will see!

Oh, waaah…

It’s not calling home even if you shut down via the 3-Second power press.   If it is, you don’t know what you’re doing because the network interface is SHUT OFF when you do that.   No lights, no nothing.

The message you refer to above is MY message explaining where the SQL DB is.   What does that have to do with your German Privacy Laws?

Also, I suggest you read the terms of service again, because WD will probably delete your post at a minimum or ban you for your threat of legal action…

Oh, of course, and reverse engineering means you’ve already violated the terms of service, so now you can be sued… 

Have fun!

:slight_smile:

Come down from your arrogant hill! We will be sued for hacking a piece of **bleep** that we own?

You will learn that your TOS are NOTHING in Germany!

We will have fun!

Oh, I just love a good conspiracy theory. Especially one so outlandish as this one. Keep up the good work, it will ensure entertainment for at least a few days.

Germany means nothing.  You agreed (and are legally bound) to abide by the laws of the State of California, and that’s where any actions would happen.  It doesn’t matter what you think.

The best part is, if you don’t show up to defend yourself in court, WD will just automatically get a default judgement against you.  :smileyvery-happy:

And then the judgement is enforceable within Germany. :wink:

http://commissions.uianet.org/uploads/tx_hhuiacommission/Enforcement_Foreign_Judgment_Orders_in_Ohter_Jurisdictions.pdf

“In Germany, a court’s decision is required to recognize a foreign judgment and declare it enforceable.”

"Germany means nothing.  You agreed (and are legally bound) to abide by the laws of the State of California, and that’s where any actions would happen.  It doesn’t matter what you think.

The best part is, if you don’t show up to defend yourself in court, WD will just automatically get a default judgement against you. "

What are you dreaming about, little kid! Learn some international rights!

California and the US rights means nothing in the whole world!

I am bound to the country, I own a passport!

I am looking forward, about that ridicilous lawyers! Hehe,…

Are you looking for customers research & revenge?

Funny! Do you learn anything in school?

So your posts feed some theories!

Let’s watch, what the results will be! Hehe,…

WatcherOfOrders wrote:

What are you dreaming about, little kid! Learn some international rights!

California and the US rights means nothing in the whole world!

I am bound to the country, I own a passport!

Well, as I just showed you, Germany’s court system thinks they are legally required to enforce the California judgement, whether you think otherwise.  Perhaps it’s you that should be learning a thing or two. :wink:

You are a dreamer! Let us come to the point where I as a German couldn’t hack my own bought system again.

Do you change the tires of your car? Do you believe in Sony? Wasn’t the last step!

Anyway! It doesn’t matter! Because people rule the world, not courts!

Courts which are corrupted by the big companies and their supporting politicians are history!

Watch out!

Oh we not only have a conspiracy theorist, but also a very niave legal theorist. It can only get better. And an anarchist as well, this gets even more entertaining.

OP-

1. Suggest you re-read the TOS. They apply whereever the operator of the forum says they apply. International rights don’t come in to play.

2. Suggest you read EU Directive 2001/29/EC and subsequent ammendments. They DO apply in Germany.

You are right!

We are ready to rumble! :smiley:

Let’s see who wins!

Well, good luck… because, as I say, as long as the _ Hague Convention on International Service of Process _ is adhered to in California, Germany _ will _ recognize the judgement against you – whether you believe it or not, and whether you like it or not.

There is reciprocity here… if a German court wants to sue me for something, with me here in Canada, my courts say that the German judgement is enforceable, just like they say U.S. judgements are enforceable in Canada.

So, I’m just as bound by the U.S. laws I agreed to as you are, even though I’m not in California either.

Are you guys all students payed from WD? Hehe,… We hack this fockin’ box, we look into it! And if we find things which do not please a ‘normal’ use, we have the power to fight all rubbish court decisions & and god thanks we have more! All your posts show where the way goes and in a world where open source is leading, you will be the ones who have to excuse! Good Night!? James Bond!

:smileyvery-happy:

If WD was paying me, I’d merrily let you shoot your mouth off, instead of urging you to not openly and blatantly admit that you choose to disregard your legal obligations.

Part of the reason that some of the code is protected is because WD is required to, by their own legal agreements.  For example, since DTS wants manufacturers to actually _ pay _ for DTS licencing, do you really think  that DTS would allow WD to publish (or allow to be published) the proprietary code for DTS decoding for non-licencees to use?

It doesn’t matter if other hacked decoding code exists.  The issue is that WD is legally obligated to protect the code they paid to use… and they are legally obligated to take reasonable steps to prevent you from hacking the code that WD licences from others.  If the choices are get sued by DTS and all their other licencors, or go after you, it’s a no-brainer that WD will go after you.  Not because of some great industrial-informational conspiracy to keep you in your place, but because WD needs to cover their own butt.

Gentlemen, as entertaining as this is, it is not relevant to the purpose of this forum.  Therefore, I’m blocking any new replies.  Please keep any further discussions on track and relevant, or I will have the moderators pull your posts.

[edit]

Oh, and did I forget respectful.  Please keep things respectful. 

2 Likes