Hidden Folders Trick!

Hi everyone,

Most of you probably know that when you added your Shared Video folders from your PC to the WD Media Library it also created a number of additional folders for each movie containing the Backdrop Photos?

For example you might find a folder similar to this inside your share folder   .Gravity.backdrop 

If you haven’t looked inside one of them before now you will find all those posh backdrop photos which you see when browsing through the video section from within My Media Library.

The purpose of naming these folders with a ‘FULL STOP’ at the beginning is to make these folders hidden from view and thus preventing your SMP from populating your video library with lots of backdrop photos. KUDOS to TonyPh12345 for mentioning this. :wink:

Well that got me thinking, if WD can make folders ‘hidden’ perhaps we can too! Sure enough having now experimented…,

WE CAN!

So if like me you have sub folders within your shares that you want to keep hidden from your SMP, either they don’t contain anything interesting or you don’t want them displayed on your TV just add a full stop at the beginning of the folder name…, Simples!

This works for any folder within your shares!

You will need to rescan your media content for any new changes to your media library to show.

1 Like

This trick has been around forever and is usually suggested to exempt folders with non-media files from the scanning process to speed things up.

Perhaps so but some of us don’t have the wealth of knowledge and expertise that you’ve probably gained during your time here in these forums. It can’t hurt to air these tricks once in a while for us newbie’s.

If only someone as knowledgeable had told me about this at the beginning of last week it could have saved me days of heartache trying to sort problems with all folders showing in my media library and not to mention time wasted by other people trying to assist me.

See this post: All Folders are Showing

Cheers anyway. :wink:

I wasn’t implying that you shouldn’t mention it, I was simply surprised you hadn’t stumbled on this sooner and wanted to point out that it can be put to good use.

After you mentioned it I did a search for ‘hidden folders’, I did find a couple which mentioned the same subject. Doh!

Will have to check the search option before my next post which might be some time, I’ve run out of ideas at present!

Cheers.