[HELP] WD TV Live - Dolby TrueHD audio does not work

Hi there,

I already searched the forums for a solution for my problem but all I found is that Dolby TrueHD is supported.

Here is my problem…

I have a movie ripped from a BlueRay Disc with the following details:

Container:

Matroska

Video:

Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 3 frames
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC

Audio:

Format : TrueHD
Codec ID : A_TRUEHD
Codec ID/Info : Dolby TrueHD

And I have the Audio settings in my WD TV Live set to “stereo”.

But when I try to play the movie I don’t get any sound. I only get this message:

“Audio Channel UNKNOWN (Unsupported)”

What could be the problem?

Thanks…

I don’t think WD TV Live supports Dolby TrueHD, it only support full DTS for the highest.

Thanks for the response! I found a post with a workaround for this problem… He suggests that I rip the core DD 5.1 track and then remix it with the movie… I’m not sure how, but I’ll give it a shot… Thanks again :slight_smile:

Actually, the Live does support True-HD but only in an m2ts container.

You can remux your audio by using somehing like tsmuxer (assuming you have the original m2ts or ts file).

tsMuxeR GUI accepts MKV files as inputs, so you can easily (and quickly) convert to M2TS.

Download tsMuxeR here:   http://www.smlabs.net/tsmuxer_en.html 

(Download links are on the right hand side)

One thing that confuses me is trying to play a file with Dolby TrueHD audio in “Stereo” mode.  I’m assuming you’re plugged directly into the TV via HDMI and have no surround sound amplifier in your setup?

I believe if set in Digital mode, the WD TV Live will downmix the TrueHD audio for you (outputs as 2ch PCM IIRC).  Might be worth a try before remuxing anything.

Having said that, switching between Stereo and Digital output is a bit of a faff if you have to do it frequently…

Ooo, good catch, Grant.

He definitely does not want to play in “Stereo” mode (not any point – might as well not use True-HD).  Digital is the only way surround sound is output.

(That said it shouldn’t give an audio error message just because it’s set to stereo).

I am unable to get “DDTrueHD (Digital)” sound tracks out in any form at HDMI or Analog out, whether set to Stereo or Digital. I don’t know if it is available optically.

Cocovanna

My WDTV Live v1.02.21 (with “Digital” setting):

- Plays TrueHD flawlessly on my Denon 1910.

- HD Audio (Trued HD and DTS HD MA/HR) only works with HDMI and with @ least a V1.3a HDMI Cable (you also need a receiver that decodes HD Audio).

- With DTS HD MA/HR the WDTV Live just extracts and plays the DTS Core 5.1 from the HD track (works great).

Currently, TrueHD only works with M2TS container on the Live (there are other Media Players that already plays HD Audio within MKV container).

Hi, I have WDTV Live with Samsung HT-C5500. I have tried to play blu-ray movie in M2TS container having TrueHD audio. But I cannot see any audio coming out. After reading your post, may be the issue with HDMI cable, so I bought v1.4 cable. Still no audio. Please help.

shri_s123 wrote:

But I cannot see any audio coming out.

But could you smell it?     :slight_smile:

(Sorry, you brought up an old Ghostbusters gag.)

How are you hooking up to the C5500?   From what I’m seeing HERE, it doesn’t have any inputs.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

shri_s123 wrote:

But I cannot see any audio coming out.

But could you smell it?     :slight_smile:

(Sorry, you brought up an old Ghostbusters gag.)

How are you hooking up to the C5500?   From what I’m seeing HERE, it doesn’t have any inputs.

According to the link, it has “1 Audio Input”, although it neglects to say what kind of input (digital, analogue, who knows!).

The manual claims it has a digital optical input, and 2-channel analogue input.  Hopefully he’s using the optical.  :)

Look into correct  spec. It accepts 2 HDMI inputs and 1 optical. So, I connect the HDMI out from WDTV Live into HDMI In into HTS.

(Sorry, I caught cold, couldn’t smell it. I will try it today :neutral_face:)

Some folks are saying that TrueHD only works on the optical connection, but I’m not sure (I don’t have any TruHD material to test.)

Yeah and some say it won’t work at all (even in the M2TS container, the only container it is reported to work in).

I have not done any definitive tests (don’t see much point, since nearly all blu-ray material is DTS nowadays).  One day, when I have the time (ha!) I will at least see if I can get it to work so I can say one way or the other.

ok…since my last post, I did a few tests with a demo 1080i Dolby TrueHD file.

Test 1)  I tookout video (h264) and TrueHD (ac3) audio streams and created a MKV file with them.

Result: video fine. I could hear the audiom, but very bad bad stuttering, i mean for a couple secs that audio comes out fine then all of a sudden it becomes very silent, then again some sound followed by brief silence, the loop goes on.

Test 2) created another MKV file, with video (h264), audio 1 (trueHD) (ac3), audio 2 (dolby digital) (ac3).

Result: Video fine. Audio fine as well…but the WD TV live automatically started playing the audio from 2nd audio stream i.e., dolby digital and not trueHD. Using the option menu I tried to switch to audio 1 (trueHD), but it is saying something like ‘unsupported audio codec’.

I am surprised to see different behaviour here. If it was unsupported, then why it was trying to play in the first test. It seems to me that WD is definitely playing some mischief with its customers by not enabling all of the functions that are available in basic hardware. At least, they should come in open and say, how much more money they require to enable it. I have no qualms in paying extra for it. I do really like this product.

Alternatively, they should back down from marketing the product as better and faster as it is based on sigma chip unlike other competitors product which are built on realtek chips. As a fact, though the competitors can simply passthrough the audio which is all what we needed to some degree.

TrueHd or DTS-HD only works with HDMI and in a M2ts file, i have tested some , and works; with optical cable (spdif), no way, not enough bandwidth to get it work.

Good luck

Actually, to be clear, DTS-HD does NOT work – what happens is that the Live will pass through the DTS core (NOT the HD track).  This will work in an MKV file as well as an M2TS file.  This works whether it’s optical or HDMI (bandwidth has nothing to do with this, as it’s a strictly digital passthrough and passed through exactly the same way no matter what cable is used).

True-HD  will also play the core AC3 track in an MKV container.  What isn’t clear is whether it will actually play the True-HD track in an M2TS container – some folks report that it does, others that it doesn’t (one problem is that many people don’t understand how this stuff actually works – just because you hear sound doesn’t mean you’re hearing the HD track, as both True and DTS-HD have a non-HD core that can be played as part of the blu-ray specifications).

Hi, though I mentioned only MKV, but I had done the tests with originally on M2TS container and achieved the same results (failures).

Yeah, that just kind of confirms to me what I suspect – that it does not work in an M2TS container and that those folks who report success don’t really understand what they are talking about.

Dolby True HD DOES work on *.m2ts files (the files used for Bluray Discs) using a HDMI cable, a HD sound capable Receiver and a film that transports Dolby True HD. Thats a lot to get right.

There is a distinct difference in sound when playing Nolans Batman films or Star Trek with HD sound.

However, the WD Live cannot play all Dolby True HD soundtracks, it does not work on Transformers 1 and How to train your dragon, it comes across garbled and jittery. Seems to be a WD problem because the sound comes across fine on a BD player or different media player and I cannot find a solution.

9 out of 10 films use DTS HD not Dolby True, which is why so many people are crying out for a passthrough solution for the WD Live. Now that would be a cool Xmas present …