HELP: UFRAW-BATCH running for 9 days straight. Device completely unusable

Hi,

I’m really interested in trying your script, this is the least one would expect from a decent code - if a process times out processing a file, just skip it… Not so hard but apparently WD doesn’t really care. Your script seems to be the only real solution for us so far!

Anyway, our friend @PEMAMETAL suggests here that it takes about 5 minutes per CR2 picture. Would you consider trying to make the timeout 10 minutes instead of 2 minutes? I personally don’t mind waiting a few days to get all the scannable pictures scanned (as opposed to waiting forever!) My device has been stuck with those ufraw processes for more than a month now (literally!) I’m a photographer and I bought this device specifically for back up but now it’s extremely slow and almost useless… And their “engineers” suggest we zip our CR2 files … Total joke!

I have zero knowledge in writing code, but could you please explain this (from your script description) :
“The effective allowable run time for each process is dictated by the check period and allowed number of cycles, as follows:
allowableDuration = waitSecBetweenChecks * persistence
i.g. if persistence==4 and waitSecBetweenChecks==30 then allowableDuration=120 sec”

What is the persistence in this case? What I understood is that you allow 4 cycles of checks, each cycle takes 30 seconds. Is that correct? So what happens if an image is processed in under 2 minutes? Is the process stuck there until the 2 minutes are complete? I.e. does this method disable automatic progression to the next file? This is what I inferred when you said here “That 2 minutes is a guess; I have no idea it’s too much or too little” Because if auto progression to the next file is allowed, 2 minutes cannot be “too much” since the process will just go to the next file if the first is processed in <2 minutes, correct? So in short, my question is: does this script disable automatic progression of the ufraw process and restricts it to the time you specify (e.g. 4x30 sec.) ?
An ideal case would be for the script to let the ufraw process work with automatic progression and only terminate the process when it is stuck trying to process the same file for an x amount of time. I’d suggest to make that time 7~10 minutes instead of 2.
A final question, would this also affect generation of thumbnails from JPEG files too? Or is the ufraw (as the name suggests) only deals with RAW files?

In summary, it would be super to let the WD handle thumbnail generation normally (as it does that well for JPEG) and ONLY kill the ufraw-batch process(es) if stuck at the same file(s) for 10 minutes. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks a lot everyone, hopefully we’ll reach a viable solution soon!!