Help recovering files or fixing drive

Hello all

I need some help either recovering files on my WD Hard Drive or fixing the drive so I can access the files. It is a WD 4408A and I was able to plug it in and access files as of last week and I just plugged it in here and it takes a while for it to recognize in the windows drives menu. When it does it shows the correct used/free space but when I click on it to open the drive it spins and spins, loading for a min or two and then it gives an error indicating cannot open the drive due to error with i/o.

Windows gave me a message says there is an error with the drive and click here to fix the drive. I avoided that at first just trying to open it a few more times but kept getting the same “error with i/o.” I ended up clicking that message to fix the drive, went through that process but it said it couldn’t fix the drive. I restarted my computer, tried again, and now when the drive comes up in the menu, I click on it and it opens just saying “the folder is empty.” It still indicates the correct amount of used/free space. So somewhere I guess it recognizes there are a certain amount of files.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Hi nacho220,

It seems like the drive has gone bad because I/O device error occurs when the Windows OS is attempting to use a transfer mode that is not available or not recognized to or from an input, storage or output device – such as external hard disk drives.

The only way to recover the data is to try 3rd party Data recovery software and if that doesn’t work then you have to contact the Data Recover and after that you apply for the RMA of the drive if it is under warranty period.

Given below is the links which would help you.

use a third party recovery tool. Start with freewares. If they don’t work, then use a paid one