Help Please - Bad Input/Output Sectors? Thank You!

Hello there, thank yo u for the help.

TL;DR: Drive is said to be faulty in 2 utilities, yet one of the utilities also says the SMART status was passed fine.

My questions:

• Any advice? What am I to do?
  • What should I make of the fact that the SMART values pass, yet I have bad sectors?
  • Is making an image using the Windows backup tool, enough to secure my data?
  • Should I buy a new internal drive, perhaps 2.5" and do a manual replacement?
  • Can Gparted cause bad sectors or could Linux partitions or unallocated free space partitions be called “bad sectors”?

I have a Lenovo Y50-70 laptop with a seemingly faulty drive sadly.

The program HWInfo places a yellow triangle beside my drive when I use a “summary scan”.

Yet when I run WD own Date Lifeguard tool, it says “SMART Status: PASS”.

YET when I run an extended test on my drive, DLGDIAG Extended, using the same tool, it says my drive has

“bad sectors” and when I try to repair them, it also says “Unable to repair” :(.

What am I to do? I would really appreciate any help I can get. I don’t think I have a warranty.

I can’t believe there’s bad sectors… It’s a pretty new laptop. On a Linux live CD, I used

“gparted” to shrink the C drive. But when it was nearly complete, Gparted gave me an error

which said something like “bad input/output” something. I chose to ignore it. Any advice?

Should I buy a new internal drive and try to replace the apparently faulty one?

My questions:

• Any advice? What am I to do?
  • What should I make of the fact that the SMART values pass, yet I have bad sectors?
  • Is making an image using the Windows backup tool, enough to secure my data?
  • Should I buy a new internal drive, perhaps 2.5" and do a manual replacement?
  • Can Gparted cause bad sectors or could Linux partitions or unallocated free space partitions be called “bad sectors”?

THANK YOU !

Hi there and welcome to the WD Community.

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing bad sectors.

As far as I know you can have bad sectors even if the S.M.A.R.T passes as the bad sectors are phisycal sectors that get damage maybe by moving the laptop to quick. What I would do is backup all the information I have onto an external drive and then buying another internal drive to intall Windows as some of those bad sectos might have Windows files information and cause issues if you create a systen image.