Help needed! Critical errors on my MyCloud EX2 Ultra (OS5)

Dear all,

Yesterday evening 2024-02-02T16:53:00Z I received some very disturbing critical alert messages from WD/MyCloud by e-mail:

1. (17:53) Station in Bay 1 is defect and needs to be replaced.
  2. (17:54) System temperature too low.
  3. (17:55) Volume 1 deteriorated. Check status and run test.
  4. (17:58) System temperature too low.

Logging into the dashboard I found the same warnings.
However, the system was actively rebuilding the RAID profile on volume 1. At the time of writing (12:10 on Feb 3) the progress is 57%. Is this too slow, or normal tempo?
[edit: 16:11 hrs on Feb 3: progress is 69% (after approx. 22 hours)]
According to the dashboard the drive status for both drives is good, operating temperature is 42 degrees centigrade, room temperature is 18.5 degrees centigrade. I didn’t run a test yet, because I’m not sure whether that would interfere with rebuilding the RAID profile.

At the same time I saw that there was a firmware update available 5.27.161 (currently running on 5.27.157).

Given that according to my dashboard both drives are in good shape, there are no red LEDs (solid or flashing) and the temperatures are OK, I am really confused about what is going on here! And at the same time I am wondering how the system would even be able to rebuild a RAID profile while the drive in question is allegedly defect. Or even how can a drive first be defect and shortly after that be (merely) deteriorated?

Or is it perhaps a software/firmware issue? I saw here on the community forum that there are more users suffering from RAID issues since version 5.27.157. Will version 5.27.161 solve my problem? Or do I need to replace the drive (volume 1)? And if so, where can I find out with what kind of drive (make, type, etc.) I can replace it (compatibility with the second drive)?

I would be grateful for any kind of help in solving this problem!

Kind regards,
Ruud
Ede, The Netherlands

Hi @RuudS ,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:

Hi @Keerti_01 ,
Thanks for your response!
Yes I opened a support case. However, this kind of problems tend to always happen in weekends and I posted it here in the hope that someone might be able to help me out before the start of the new week. The support case will not be handled before Monday and given the difference in time zones, that day will almost be over here in The Netherlands by the time the support team will find my case.
Cheers,
Ruud