Help - My Cloud Home, local Cloud in Windows 11

Hello!
I hope to help. I’ve had a My Cloud Home for years on my home network and it’s been great and have all my photos on there and I back up Windows.

My Cloud Home is no longer supported with the app and I can’t access it - it must be possible to create it as a drive in Windows 11 - but my skills don’t work - tried a lot but get errors when trying to access.

When I have fixed the security, which I hope to get help with - which user should I use and password - on my Web access that works, I use e-mail as user and an associated password, but surely these are not the ones I should use here for home network access?

I get ping response to used IP

With best regards
Flemming Lauritsen, Denmark

Thank you for making the effort and posting the screenshot. There are the two areas you need to fix in order to enable local access to your My Cloud Home (MCH) and log in from your version of Windows. The MCH software is designed for users running the Home or Pro version of Windows which still allow guest authentication log on by default.

1. Change group policy to enable Guest access.
  2. Enable local access for the My Cloud Home.

It would appear that you are using a version of Windows such as Windows Enterprise or Windows Education which do not allow the default behavior typical of the Windows Home version and that is because:

Starting from Windows 10, version 1709 and Windows Server 2019, SMB2 and SMB3 clients no longer allow the following actions by default:

Guest account access to a remote server.
Fall back to the Guest account after invalid credentials are provided.

SMB2 and SMB3 have the following behavior in these versions of Windows:

Windows 10 Enterprise and Windows 10 Education no longer allow a user to connect to a remote share by using guest credentials by default, even if the remote server requests guest credentials.
Windows Server 2019 Datacenter and Standard editions no longer allow a user to connect to a remote share by using guest credentials by default, even if the remote server requests guest credentials.

Resolution

Configure your third-party SMB server device to require a username and password for SMB connections. If your device allows guest access, any device or person on your network can read or copy all of your shared data without any audit trail or credentials.

If you can't configure your third-party device to be secure, you can enable insecure guest access with the following Group Policy settings:

Open the Local Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) on your Windows device.
    In the console tree, select Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Network > Lanman Workstation.
    For the setting, right-click Enable insecure guest logons and select Edit.
    Select Enabled > OK.

@fllau

The image you have showing means you need to enter the User name and Password for your home network.

With My Cloud Home running again after a factory reset – restarted but still couldn’t access my local network.

With the change of security in Windows 11 Pro, I have now got through, but still not 100% - I think I am close now that everything works as it should. I have changed group policy registry value to insecure guest authentication enabled.

Following the instructions at this link:

Guest access in SMB2 and SMB3 is disabled - Windows Server | Microsoft Learn

Starts with same error but after 2-3 minutes 3 shared folders appeared “fml” - “Public” - “TimeMachineBackup”

On “fml” folder - access is denied when I try to use my new local user create in My Cloud Home - I can open the other 2 folders.

My new user works fine here http://192.168.0.222/

I believe in goal if someone can help me with access to shared folder “fml” - need help.

Password and user are written correctly – the user created in My Cloud Home (screen print)

File History backup is up and running again :wink:

Regards, Flemming

Thank you for reporting back with your partial success.

Please reset your local password once more. That should allow you to log in. I have changed the order of allowing connection in such a case (earlier reply) to ‘change group policy’ then ‘enable local access’.

1. Change group policy to enable Guest access.
  2. Enable local access for the My Cloud Home.

Imgur

I’m going gray - more :blush:
Have now again tried - NoPlex - to follow the suggestions for a solution without getting a local user to work.

1. guest access in SMB2 and SMB3 is enabled
  2. UPnP enabled devices allowed in the router
  3. disable local network access
  4. Restarted everything My Cloud Home, Windows 11 and Router.
  5. Local network access created again on My Cloud Home

Local burger still not working - can feel the gray hairs getting more - calling for more help
Regards, Flemming

You don’t have to do any of that again. Just reset the local password on the My Cloud Home (MCH), it should work. Don’t use the same Windows user name as the MCH local username. For example, your MCH local user name is ‘fml’. Don’t use ‘fml’ if that is your Windows local user name, use something like ‘fmlMCH’ for example.

Reboot the MCH if you don’t see any change.

Hey NoPlex!

Thanks for your efforts and good suggestions - unfortunately no difference - still can’t get access, Reset local password again with new name in MCH no difference - “fml” is not my Windows user.

I can see security in shared folder Public and TimeMachineBackup, but shared folder “fml” I can’t see anything in security - can’t even read the security and that’s probably the reason my local user is rejected - I think there’s something security in my Windows 11 Pro which still rejects the MCH user - but what?

I would like to justify that - because my brother also has a My Cloud Home where the Windows backup had stopped working - understandably (as I know myself) as it was set up through the discontinued apps.

With a little “fear” and just as much curiosity - I look at my brother’s setup and maybe end up with 2 installations that didn’t work - but no - I set up his PC and MCH as described - without correcting anything in Windows and set up backup – in no time everything was working again on his installation.

What is the difference between the 2 installations of Windows 11 – he uses Home and I have a Pro version – therefore I believe there is a lack of security permission in Windows 11 Pro – but which one? I have no idea about that.

Regards, Flemming

I don’t know. Maybe Windows 11 Pro is handling or caching Windows credential differently. This perhaps is something you want to look into, delete the old credentials for the MCH that you have tried and create new ones, Windows 11 Credential Manager:

Hey NoPlex!

Just tried what you wrote, but I couldn’t get permission to do that - change to \ I could save, but still get rejected :frowning:
Have asked the security question here:

Microsoft supported products on Q&A | Microsoft Learn

Regards, Flemming

Ok, this may be useful. It claimed “Any of these solutions should work for you!”
… and if it doesn’t I would stop using Win11 Pro if it was me. :sweat_smile:

If you’re constantly faced with this Enter network credentials error on your Windows 11/10, you can try our recommended solutions below in no particular order and see if that helps to resolve the issue.

Clear all credentials from Credential Manager
Disable Credential Manager Service automatic Startup
Turn off password-protected sharing
Modify Local Security Policy
Add the credentials in Credentials Manager
Set IP address to automatic
Change Network Profile to Private

Great point