Help! Extremely slow read/write speed

Hi all,

I just bought my cloud 3TB  last month and I really suffered from extremely slow read/write speed.

I transfered my iTunes music library (about 85 GB) and it took me more than 24 hours!!!

I am now transferring my photo database (about 300GB+) and it already 48 hours without any sign to finish.

I checked and found I could get speed only 2MB/S.

Any advise? I don’t think the device is that bad but maybe something wrong with my set up.

I just hooked it up with my router by LAN cable provided in the box.

Thanks for all reply.

See if this gets you anywhere:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/HOW-TO-Troubleshoot-NAS-Performance-concerns/m-p/618695#M1256

1 Like

Hi Tony,

Thanks for reply.

I read through your link but don’t know how to create a file named “errors.bat” on the desktop.

Could you please help advise?

I just found that my router is a/b/g not n yet and I get negotiate rate only 100Mbps (yellow LED).

Is this might be the root cause?

Yes, both of those are likely the cause.

Wireless is completely unpredictable.   And if you ever want more than 10-12 MB per second, you’ll need to upgrade to Gigabit Ethernet.

1 Like

Wi-Fi:

Typical 2MB/sec to 7MB/sec

There’s no “workaround”; you’re limited by the wireless speed between your ROUTER and PC.

Ethernet (PC connected via Ethernet to Router):

up to about 60MB/second writes.

Router must be a Gigabit router for maximum speed.

1 Like

Hi all,

Thanks for your reply. I’ve borrowed another router from my friend and get better speed about 10 mb/s while transferring about 500 MB movie file.

I can now manage to get 1000 Mbps via WAN port.

Looking to upgrade to better model of Modem + Router in order to get faster speed.

I’m looking for 4 models at the moment, please help share your idea/experiences which one should I choose from these 4 models or even some other model.

1. Netgear D6300

2. Netgear N600 DGND3700

3. NetgearN750 DGND4000

4. Billion 7800 nxl

Thanks for your recommendation in advanced.