HELP! extremely slow data transfers with my cloud

i have connected my cloud to my bt infinity router, via the gigabyte connection, (lights are green on back of my cloud)

yet when i try to transfer data to/from my laptop, the transfer speed is a paltry 1.73 mbps … how is it this slow???

everywhere i read, people are getting significantly higher speeds than me … my internet speed is in excess of 50meg

my laptop is a dell xps with 12gb ram n a 2.5ghz core i5 processor

somebody please help, before i return this sloth of a NAS

You’ve plugged in your Cloud to a gigaBIT router (not gigaBYTE).

… but what about your PC?   Is it also attached via Gig ethernet?  Or is it WiFi?

You say your transfer speed is 1.73 mbps, is that megaBITS or MegaBYTES per second?

im connected via wifi … my transfer rate is 1.73 MBPS not sure which, all i know is that it is taking 45 minutes to transfer a 4.1GB movie across

(i have 259GB worth of data to transfer, at this rate it will take days)

rebeldx wrote:

im connected via wifi …

Have you tried it by disabling your WiFi and connecting your PC via wired instead?   

Need to rule out any issues with your WiFi network.

jumps to 11MBPS … so its obviously my wifi, what could b causing it to be soooooo slow?

i may b a spanner … i went into my killer n network manager n set WDcloud to the highest setting, n im gettin the same speeds as i was when connected

scrap that, after a restart its gone back to being slow as **bleep** again grrrrrr

ok, this is really weird … if i connect  my laptop to the router via ethernet i get a speed of 11mbps, disconnect from the ethernet n connect via wifi, and my connection remains at 11mbps

BUT

if i connect via wifi at the start,(without connecting via ethernet)  my speed is a mere 1.73 mbps

First, plug your computer and nas into the gigabit router.  Turn OFF your wireless on the computer.  Transfer a large file to the NAS using windows explorer.  What is your speed?

Also, you need to be more clear, is it Megabits per seconds (Mb/s) or Megabytes per second (MB/s) that you are transferring at?  If you are wireless and transfering at 11MB/s then that is probably normal for wireless N speeds (that is actually pretty good for wireless n speeds)  Plugging it in, you should hit ~50MB/s

plugged in i get 11 mbps, dunno if its bits or bytes but its slow … lights on the back of the my cloud are green

Sounds like your computer is fairly old – has only 100 megabit / second ethernet.

If it’s only 100 meg ethernet wired, I would suspect it’s only 802.11g wireless.   Maybe even only 802.11b. 

802.11g has a MAX speed of 54 megabits per second (~ 7 megabytes per second) – 802.11b wireless has a MAX speed of 11 megabits per second (1.37 megabytes per second).

What brand and model is your PC?

lol my laptop is a dell xps 15 l521x, 12gb ram, 2.5 ghz core i5 processor, gb ethernet, killer n wireless n network card

deffo not old

also my network speeds are 40mbps+ download with 14mbps+ upload

Your internet speeds have nothing to do with anything; you’re not using the internet — or are you??

You could try this:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/HOW-TO-Troubleshoot-NAS-Performance-concerns/td-p/618695

no, i was just givin as much info as i could

thanx i’ll try that link in the morning … will post an update