Help! All data in mybook live gone and owner password unknown

@flhthemi phew thanks !!! No problem and thank you so much for the explanation. It saves a bit of money by only buying an enclosure as the prices seem to have rocketed since my original purchase for a populated NAS!!

I’ve now cannibalised the MBL and removed my 3TB drive. Its in a SATA->USB dock and I’m running Disk Digger freebie recovery utility on it for the media I lost. Looks like the filenames are still associated :slight_smile: and its found loads of stuff within the first 0.25% including the first of the 800+ lost movie files at about 1.5GB. This process will take a lifetime but I’ll update with the final results when known. Disk Digger has an optional $14.99 licence I believe - which I’ll happily pay if it does the trick :smiley:

So because WD commented out the password authentication required for a factory reset, thats how this happened?

They going to start footing the bill for all these recovery costs? @cme

Wow. Just simply wow.

Can you please tell us what is the name of the log file that you posted?

Guys, here you are asking how to connect drives from the NAS. I am attaching a photo.

Now I will wait for recommendations from WD.

I was able to recover the data only when I connected both drives and told R-Studio that it was RAID.

1 Like

Pathetically low expectations. Don’t let them get away with underperformance.

1 Like

TICKET UPDATE: My initial question was “will you be patching this?”

Here is an excerpt of what I got:
"At this time, we recommend you disconnect your My Book Live from the Internet to protect your data on the device. Our engineering teams are actively investigating this issue. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Please see the following article to learn more about disabling remote access to your My Book Live:

How to Disable Remote Access to a My Book Live or Duo
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25147/track/AvOlfwpYDv8S~eN8GlIe~yJjbZ0qgS75Mv~z~zj~PP86

For more information, please see the following Security Bulleting:

Recommended Security Measures for WD My Book Live and WD My Book Live Duo

If you have any further questions, please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you . Thank you for your cooperation. "

SO, they are blaming Remote Access (if you ever use it or not, or just activated on the setup process and then shutted off) because that may keep an open port on your router.
And then again, the recomendation of use this an external USB drive but with an ethernet cable

I replied back saying that, that is not a valid answer to suggest use a NAS as an USB drive, and if they are going (or NOT) to patch this thing up for keep using it without issues. Or gonna simply forget about end users. I can guess the answer anyway

For the ones that you were not hit by this, at least we can have some light on this regarding an faulty open port and trying to verify ourselves if are in risk of exposure (to keep using the drive as today)

1 Like

1 Like

My raid was a mirror. I think this is what saved my data and the structure of folders and names.

i still don’t get why some were hacked and other weren’t hacked and factory reset
 like what’s the difference ?

Update:
My MBLD was configured as 2 x 2Tb in raid/mirrored configuration.
I removed Disk 2 (or B) and have connected it to a powered SATA to USB adapter. Without power the drive didn’t spin up - I only have a laptop to connect to having dispensed with a desktop PC a couple of years ago.
The drive doesn’t appear as a connected/mounted drive on my Windows 8.1 OS.
I have downloaded WinZip System Utilities which, after selecting ‘scan partitions’, is currently scanning the drive (50% complete in 3 hours) of the 1.8Tb partition.
It is showing that it has found 600,000 files (which is about correct), so I am just waiting for the final scan report.
If all is good and includes folder structures I will happily pay the ÂŁ40 for the recovery capabilities and all the other features of the software.

I can’t speak for others, but I think mine came down to my router and it’s firewall settings. Short from that, some of us may have just been lucky that we weren’t in a targeted IP range.

1 Like

I had mine running since Saturday evening on Diskinternals partition recovery. But turned up with nothing today. From a previous poster I have install R Studio and that is finding a lot. It’s a 4hr scan but not complaining. See how that goes.

On another note all this extra stress from a non fault of my own while doing 13hr shifts between trying to recovery my families pictures is just too much. Western Digital have a lot to answer for for such a massive breach. I for one will no longer use a network connected storage ever again.

1 Like

We dont know for sure (and WD still investigating
) but due to their suggestion of turn off remote access, could be that Remote Access or even Mobile Access requested to open a port on the router and having Upnp active on the router had that port open forever?

I dont know but having setup the unit years ago and doesnt even try to use or test those functions could be (adding maybe some luck) the reason that some users were not affected

1 Like

I feel for you and all those that have used their dirves to the full and stored alot of personal data such as photos and video.
Due to my own laziness I never got round to uploading all our photos, holiday and wedding videos which I had compiled on to a single external 2Tb drive.
However there is a lot of music and documents that I need to recover if possible.
For me, currently the reason why this has happened is less important than being able to recover my data - especially as I can’t afford thousands in recovery costs.
I certainly applaud all those on here trying to find the reasons why this has happened especially as I suspect that WD will be less than honest as lawsuits could follow.
This is certainly a stressful time for all who have lost important or personal data - there will be a way and it will be found soon.

2 Likes

If WD was able to help me recover my data, I’d be happy to be left with a useless WD paper weight! :upside_down_face:

I’ll be looking forward to reading about the results of your tests.

I saw these for sale at Walmart being advertised as your own personal cloud. I remember shuttering at the thought
thinking 
Oh sweet Jesus, NO!! Pretty much for this very reason. I do want any backup drive having access to the internet in any way shape or form.

As to those who have lost data, all I can offer a recommendation going forward. To make disconnected backups easier, purchase yourself a nice SATA dock. Then buy a nice big 3.5-inch regular old spinning hard drive, personally, I like the WD reds.

Then simply put the Hard drive in the dock, hit the on the button, run the backup, dismount, power off and remove it from the dock. It really makes for cheap and easy disconnected backups.

On the DUO - it was a RAID configuration, which means you have to have both drives connected to access data.