Help! All data in mybook live gone and owner password unknown

After reading into it I think this will be the route to try for me. Mines been running since Saturday evening on Diskinternals partition recovery. I think by later today it would have completed. Ill see what results come back but if I’m not happy then I will give R Studio a try after reading in there site.

A thanks to Churkin for mentioning it. I don’t mind paying about 50 if it gets a lot of my family’s data back

I wouldn’t know unless I send it off for assessment which would cost me £150 to find out.

That was last updated 4 days ago. You’ve got no updates for 4 days on this?

I received a quote from a data recovery firm USD 200 to recover my data. Any questions I should ask? I remember the last time my WD Passport failed I had the data recovered but there was some corruption. Any tips on what I should be asking the vendor?

my HD was restarting/rebooting randomly at night before this. What triggered my suspicions was that the ip address for the device kept changing. I should have just shutdown the device there and then and migrated everything across I assumed the reboot was some system generated task rather than an outside party triggering a restart

why would I want to re-use the HDD if there is this vulnerability? Or do you means just as an HDD without the NAS?

yeah the recovery wizard is enough - but it’s paid commercial software

Looking at the apache logs, the last IP address to attempt to access my drive on a day that I was not using it was 94.102.49.104. The access occurred 15 seconds before factoryRestore.sh; at which time Apache received SIGTERM and shutdown. It’s worth pointing out that this drive has been a target for some time as there are many access attempts from IP’s all over the world. However, the one above is the last one.

[Wed Jun 23 16:18:11 2021] [error] [client 94.102.49.104] client denied by server configuration: /var/www/UI
[Wed Jun 23 16:18:11 2021] [error] [client 94.102.49.104] File does not exist: /var/www/Admin/webapp/errordocs
[Wed Jun 23 16:18:12 2021] [error] [client 94.102.49.104] script ‘/var/www/Admin/webapp/index.php’ not found or unable to stat
[Wed Jun 23 16:18:12 2021] [error] [client 94.102.49.104] File does not exist: /var/www/Admin/webapp/errordocs
[Wed Jun 23 16:18:13 2021] [error] [client 94.102.49.104] script ‘/var/www/Admin/webapp/index.php’ not found or unable to stat
[Wed Jun 23 16:18:13 2021] [error] [client 94.102.49.104] File does not exist: /var/www/Admin/webapp/errordocs
factoryRestore.sh: begin script:
[Wed Jun 23 16:18:28 2021] [notice] caught SIGTERM, shutting down

1 Like

Hey folks, not sure if anyone has seen the latest article from Ars Technica, but it seems worse than we first thought:

4 Likes

Just buy one of these, open your MBL take out the drive and put it in. Call it done.

I can ust the Disk the way it was. Just a new NAS disk. It works fine. The problem is only recovery of missed files. I am wondering what is going to happen if I format it is then use a recovery software to extract files. Now I cant use any revocery software because my Windows computer doesn]t see the disk correctly. It shows uninitialized disk and software can’t see it.

I tried Diskinternals, R-Studio, Easeus, Wondershare recoverit, UFS Explorer recovery. None of those could see the disk connected to the computer by SATA-USB cable. I think I need a Linux computer. Is there any software to see WEB connected NAS drives? I believe not but let me ask that.

Word, Excel, JPG, BMP and other images, MKV, AVI, ZIPs and many more. But not every file is valid, some are corrupted. Filenames (and directory structures) are gone.

EaseUS directly responded to the connected drive under Windows here. Windows assigned a drive letter (dont format!) and this letter was used by EaseUS

ahh thanks! I’ve erased them.

Is this Windows that you are using? How did you connect the MBL disk to the computer? What interface did you use?

Anyone able to retrieve filenames and folders on reset drives as yet?

@flhthemi sorry to ask the silly question, but isn’t the damaging code still on the drive?? I am no techie, but have removed my drive from the casing, stuck it in a SATA docking station and am running DiskInternals Data Recovery programme at the moment… 79hrs in and only 16% done. What you are saying seems a lot easier !!! Is it really that simple ?

No. Don’t do this if you want to KEEP your data. Maybe I wasn’t clear enough, sorry. This is to be done AFTER you recover your data and if you still want to use the drive in a new NAS device. When you put that drive in a new NAS device it will setup the drive to use it with that particular device. Your data will be GONE and so will the trash that WD put on it that caused all this trouble.

Same IP on mine as well. If all the errors in the this log are hacking attempts or what have you then this started on the 12th for me, that’s the first log I have. I don’t love that this was apparently going on for 2 weeks (or longer) and we never would have known if not for the factory reset.