Help! All data in mybook live gone and owner password unknown

hi @Churkin
can your share links to the R-Studio program?
I am debating whether to get EASEUS or …
Thanks.
Would you mind sharing the process of your recovery?

go4875

Answered in a personal

Lots of dodgy language in there about UPnP and “the affected devices were directly accessible from the Internet”. How shockingly irresponsible of the owners to make their devices directly accessible from the internet (even though that’s a feature of the device). Basically a lot of butt-covering, probably written by lawyers. Nothing apologetic or even sympathetic.

I will never buy another WD product as long as I live.

2 Likes

All you needed was remote access I believe.

We all should have known to run nmap against our routers from the outside and certainly we would have been fully aware that our MyBookLive devices automatically placed these devices “directly on the internet”, relieving us of the burden of having to do so ourselves. After all, NMAP is as common to the consumer household as milk and butter, that it would take us all little effort to disable the personal cloud selling point of this device we had purchased. If only we just exercised a little responsibility and disabled the core feature of this product, we would still have our data today.

The Russian and Latvian hackers have done us a favor by letting us know that we should have known, on the day these devices spoiled and became “non modern” that we should have replaced them immediately. And that is what responsible people do. They just glance at a well working device and declare it spoiled because they just know, that today, is the day it spoiled.

But it was pure wisdom to include tools like wget in a system intended to be a file server that requires no tinkering out of the box. I mentioned this to the family at Thanksgiving and they wholeheartedly agreed.

2 Likes

Sarcasm has crept into the thread.

1 Like

The product had this security issue the day it was sold.

Longer than a day.

I do have another my book live that I expect could last another 10 years. Plastic and metal aren’t biodegradeable.

And just because someone writes “end of life” on a web page doesn’t mean that all the devices suddenly start smoking with cracking cases and popping springs.

And what is the migration path for 3 TB of data that is suddenly “past its life?” If you aren’t supposed to use the wretched and bedeviled contraption once its death is declared, it means that inherently, the MyBook Live was, in reality, a very expensive garbage bin for data with no intention of preservation beyond two years.

4 Likes

It sounds like you expect us to buy a product that has reached its end of life the day we bought it and therefore we should not use it ever.

And you expected it to be perfect?

Not if we can pay for one of these with monopoly money. However, I paid for it with perfect money, so I expect perfect performance.

4 Likes

By the way I have software I bought in 1996 for $75 that I still use today. With a couple layers of emulation hardware and binary compatability, this program runs perfectly on a Raspberry Pi.

Once the software has cost me $2.50 a year, rather than $3, I will feel that I got a fair deal.

And those are the kind of good deals I want to see from Western Digital.

2 Likes

Can I pay for it with monopoly money?

No, but seriously, back in the last century when I bought this thing, it wasn’t necessary to secretly pinhole a router to allow for access to a device from outside the LAN. And it still isn’t.

The product is close to perfect except for the fact that with remote access enabled, it creates an unnecessary router pinhole.

2 Likes

:smile::smile:

1 Like

If I’m not unrealistic, then who will take on that burden?

1 Like

Yes that was my point exactly.

1 Like

Sorry for being late to this unfortunate party, but found yesterday that my MBLD drive has been wiped.
I will be removing the drives and testing a number of free recovery software’s and will post if any are successful.
I would like to think that WD would issue free software and a new firmware so that we are not left with paper weights.

1 Like

I think at best WD will do an emergency firmware and close the hole.
But we will restore the data ourselves.
I did it, see above.

1 Like

Hi Churkin
What was your method of connecting drive to pc?

I decompiled the nttpd binary to C. I’m sure it’s missing functions, but it’s the best result I’ve got yet.
Take a look:
https://bitbucket.org/aniolpages/workspace/snippets/axARjn/nttpd
If you are used to programm in that language, comment here if you find it’s behaviour.

1 Like

Thank you Churkin.
I will try R-Studio first it was one of the softwares that I had downloaded ready to try.
I have 2 separate powered SATA to USB adapters - will this be OK or do I need a dual dock?

in a stationary PC, both disks were connected to free SATA.

I think two adapters will work.