HDMI doesn't work. Only works through Composite

I bought a new WD TV Live a month ago. It seemed a bit dodgy: taking awhile to turn on, sometimes not showing up on tv even though the device was on, having to turn on and off several times to work. All these issues seemed to go away without doing anything after a few weeks.

A month later, the device wouldn’t show up on the TV at all. I could turn it on by the remote and the white light would light up but I couldn’t access it through the TV. I thought my HDMI cable was faulty. Tried connecting two other HDMI cables and couldn’t get anything. Plugged the device into another TV and tried all three HDMI cables. Nothing. So I assumed the device was faulty and took it back and had it replaced.

The new replacement I got today is doing the same thing. The TV won’t recognise it through HDMI. I have tried the 3 different cables (of which I know work as I use them with different devices), and I’ve also tried on two other TVs. The white light flicks on when I switch on the device from the remote, but nothing comes up on the TV.

I tried the composite cable that comes with the WD TV Live. That works well. It comes up on the TV. Works as expected. Except it’s not HD obviously. But that proves that the device isn’t faulty, unless the HDMI port is. But how odd that two devices have a faulty HDMI port?

What could be causing this problem? Has anyone else experienced this? How can I resolve it?

Hi i am having the same issue,

this is my 2nd media player my first one had the same problem and was replaced after i had had it for almost 1 year, now my replacement model has developed the exact same fault and guesss what its no longer under warranty.

is there a fix out there to resolve this issue ? i have tried all the usual fixes the resetting with a paper clip to reset the device etc etc

Rob

I would assume that the player cannot discover the correct hdmi setting from your tv. At switch on the player gets the hdmi info from your tv and sets the hdmi output based on that. You could try setting up a manual hdmi output while connected via composite. Try 720p 60hz or 720p 50hz, if that works then try 1080p 50/60hz.

Thanks for the reply RichUK…ive already tried that with no luck this is on my sony bravia tv.

However when i have tried on my smaller hannspree tv i get a little further instead of a blank screen i am greeted temporarilly by a red screen displaying the wd logo for about 5 seconds then a no signal logo appears

Rob

Thank you for responding. I appreciate your help.

I followed your advice and tried all the available configurations for HDMI video output. The device says that my TV doesn’t support any of them. Although, I find this funny as the original device was working through HDMI until it stopped, so the TV must support one of the configurations. I also use a dvd player, xbox and Apple TV on the same TV, all through HDMI. They are all configured to 1080p 60Hz, but the WD TV says that my TV doesn’t support that configuration.

every time i try to set HDMI as the default setting it reverts back to composit, that on both my sony and hanspree tvs

Mine too. But when I try to set to any of the HD options, WD TV says my TV doesn’t support it.

This is usually a problem with the HDMI handshake and older TVs that do not fully support the DRM of the Live Hub.

Thanks for your reply.

My TVs are under 2 years old. I don’t have this problem connecting other devices via HDMI. The WD TV was connecting through HDMI until it stopped ubruptly.

You could try resetting the player to factory defaults, its worth a try.

Hi richuk,

i have tried resetting using the paper clip method and via the remote. still no joy

however my biggest problem is the lack of support from Western Digital - i suppose they have had my cash now and dont want or are not interested in resolving this known issue, its the second time ive had this problem luckily the 1st time it was still under warranty so they had to replace it.

if i asked a question under the pretense of being a new customer they would be the ones contacting me

Western Digatal customer support hang your heads in shame - time to move over to a pop corn player i think

I don’t know.  It sounds to me like your HDMI ports are getting fried.  All I can say is that it is not a “known issue.”  but it has happened to you twice, which to me is suspect…

It is a HDMI issue with either the Hand Shake , the HDCP or both.  A lot of users have had this issue when trying to stream Netflix from the TV Live / TV Live Hub, but I haven’t heard of any users unable to hook the unit up via HDMI, and not be able to use the device… I am one those user who has the HDMI issue when trying to stream Netflix via HDMI, but I can use the HUB for almost everything else minus Netflix and one or two other streaming apps do to an HDCP issue with the HDMI. 

I have to revert to my BD player for Netflix.

desiguy2447 wrote:

It is a HDMI issue with either the Hand Shake , the HDCP or both.  A lot of users have had this issue when trying to stream Netflix from the TV Live / TV Live Hub, but I haven’t heard of any users unable to hook the unit up via HDMI, and not be able to use the device… I am one those user who has the HDMI issue when trying to stream Netflix via HDMI, but I can use the HUB for almost everything else minus Netflix and one or two other streaming apps do to an HDCP issue with the HDMI. 

I have to revert to my BD player for Netflix.

Interesting. I have no problems with Netflix playing through my HDMI-connected display. It is a 4 year old Hitachi Regza and works fine whether connected directly or going through my Onkyo surround system.