HDD cannot be migrated: event Log 441

I just installed a WD10EZEX  1 TB drive as a second drive in a desktop.  Looking at BIOS setup the drive appears and all parameters are correct.  When I look at the Device Manager the drive appears and it indicates that the drive is working correctly.  When looking at the drive in Task Manager the drive appears.  All configuration data appears to indicate the drive was successfully installed.  However, when I look at the event log for the install it tells me that the drive has started OK and is recognized but that it cannot be “migrated” whatever that means.  The drive does not show up in File Manager.  I downloaded the Western Digital troublshooting software and ran the test on the drive; the drive passed, no problems indicated. 

I am running Windows 10 Prof with all current updates.  I have tried to find anything related to event 441 and migrating.  Cannot find any reference to this problem even on the Microsoft site.  Any assistance in understanding what is preventing the drive from functioning correctly would be appreciated.  Anyone know what Microsoft Means by “migrating?” 

Welcome to the Community.

If the hard drive is new then you won’t see it in Windows Explorer until it has been partitioned and assigned a file system within Windows Disk Management. Instructions are available in the following link:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1284/

1 Like

Thanks for the reply.  This got me on the right track.  A couple of issues occurred:

1.  The page referenced was up to Windows 8.1 where as I am running Windows 10.  At the bottome of the page there was a link to " How to partition and format a WD drive on Windows and Mac OSX".  This link took me to " http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1284/session/L3RpbWUvMTQ0MTczOTQ1Ny9zaWQvNFRrTlBadm0%3D#win8" which did have the instruction for windows 10.X; however, the link for Windows 10.8, 10.9 and 10.10 brought up the instructions for a MAC.  Whomever programed the table put in the incorrect link.

This however got me to the point where I understood the problem and did a search in Windows 10 for “disc partition” which got me to the disc management function.  From there it was a simple matter to follow the instructions for Windows 8.1, they are the same for Windows 8.1 and Windows 10, to partition and format the new hard drive. 

POSSIBLE SOLUTION

Hi There…
Just thought I’d throw this out as a possible solution.
I had the same prob. with a WD 1.5gb after upgrading to Win. 10.
The seems to be no answer on the Internet, so tried myself… & it worked for me.

The drive seemed healthy but the files could not be seen under Win. 10 but OK under Win. 7.

My Solution: Convert MBR to GPT partitioning (Very quick & no data lost):

1. Downloaded Free utility = EaseUS Partition Master 11.8
    URL: Free Download EaseUS® Partition Master - EaseUS
  2. On Win. 7 pc, connect the drive directly or via USB (I used USB).
  3. Run EaseUS Partition Master
    Scroll to the bottom of the page until you find a horizontal graphic of your drive’s partition.
    Where is says “MBR”, just to the left of the graphic, right click and you will see “MBR to GPT”, click it.
    At the top of the page, on the right, you’ll see an “Apply” check mark. Click it to start the GPT partition conversion… Wait a few seconds… EaseUS will update the system and BANG!! MY files were back!

I hope you can understand my explanation. It really needs some screen shots but I can’t post here.

Well… This is just my 10 cents worth.
Hope it works for you. I was SO relieved to get my file back perfectly.
Good luck

PS: Just tried same drive on a different USB docking station(very old) and it’s still 100% visible. Happy!

I almost have the same issue in WIN10 Prof. I have the migration error but everything seems to work. The drive is seen by the BIOS and device manager as well as file explorer. I was able to create folders and copy files to the folders. Do I need to do anything to correct this error or just ignore it. The drive was briefly used in a WIN7 PC before being moved to this PC. I formatted the drive in WIN7 before installing in this PC.