HD files are buffering - what can I do?

anything linux will have native NFS support

in windows Hanewin or FreeNFS are the well known options

I have been having issues streaming 1080p blu-ray over wifi (n) to one SMP.  Sometimes it works, but often if rebuffers every couple of minutes.  By contrast, a second wired SMP works flawlessly.  Files are being served by a Linux machine shared out via Samba.

I have been intending to set up NFS sharing to try, but KAD79’s results not withstanding, have to admit to being skeptical that SMB is the issue unless that protocol interacts badly with wifi protocols or SMP’s SMB implementation is broken.  Just used smbclient from a second Linux machine over gigabit Ethernet (via two intervening switches), and got ~90MB/s file transfer rate using SMB from an internal drive and ~30MB/s from an attached USB2 drive.  So the Samba server is not an inherent bottleneck.

edit my post above, important note, my test file was on an external drive

but moving on, everybody I’ve ever seen do some sort of objective speed test between samba and NFS

NFS has always been faster by a long shot

now that does not mean that samba will not be enough in some situations, particularly hard wired, etc …

but when you put samba together with possibly a wireless bottleneck and most people will have issues

I think tonight I may connect over wireless and run my test again

The only reason I’m using the powerline adaptor was I could not get enough through put using the wireless included in the SMP to stream large blu-ray’s and that was over NFS

I think this largely has to do with my individual home, # of walls signal must pass though ect

combined with the lack of 5 ghz band

by contrast my old WD Live I used a Linksys WUSB600N

and was able to wirelessly stream blu-ray over NFS without any issues at all

for good measure repeated the test over wireless tonight

once again the test bed is

test bed

Ubuntu Server 12:10

Switch ASUS GX-D1081

Router Linksys E3000 (running DD-WRT)

file used for test is on an external drive connected to PC

First some basics, from iwconfig and ifconfig

you can see the network is up and running connected with wireless N  :slight_smile:

~ # uname -a
Linux WDTVLive 2.6.22.19-49-4 #11 PREEMPT Wed Oct 24 11:51:56 CST 2012 mips unknown
~ # iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

tunl0     no wireless extensions.

wlan0     IEEE 802.11bgn  ESSID:“DYGERTNET”  Nickname:“WIFI@REALTEK
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.437 GHz  Access Point: 68:7F:74:A9:68:A0   
          Bit Rate: 300 Mb/s   Sensitivity:0/0  
          Retry: off   RTS thr: off   Fragment thr: off
          Encryption key:****-****-****-****-****-****-****-****   Security mode: open
          Power Management: off
          Link Quality=58/100  Signal level=-66 dBm  Noise level=0 dBm
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

~ # ifconfig
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:90:A9:C3:41:21  
          UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:128
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
          Interrupt:65

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          RX packets:42143 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:42143 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:6264151 (5.9 MiB)  TX bytes:6264151 (5.9 MiB)

wlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:90:A9:C3:41:21  
          inet addr:192.168.1.108  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:132633 errors:0 dropped:9502 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:8674 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:197099896 (187.9 MiB)  TX bytes:1550873 (1.4 MiB)

So first using NFS

~ # /usrdata/.wd_tv/theme/Beta/bandwidth_test “/tmp/media/nfs/192.168.1.123/Action2/Fire With Fire.avi”
Pass #1:Timing ‘Fire With Fire.avi’(769844 KB)… Time: 2:34 min, 5 MB/sec (40 Mb/sec)
Pass #2:Timing ‘Fire With Fire.avi’(769844 KB)… Time: 2:19 min, 5 MB/sec (45 Mb/sec)
Pass #3:Timing ‘Fire With Fire.avi’(769844 KB)… Time: 2:22 min, 5 MB/sec (44 Mb/sec)
Pass #4:Timing ‘Fire With Fire.avi’(769844 KB)… Time: 2:23 min, 5 MB/sec (44 Mb/sec)
Pass #5:Timing ‘Fire With Fire.avi’(769844 KB)… Time: 2:30 min, 5 MB/sec (42 Mb/sec)
Pass #6:Timing ‘Fire With Fire.avi’(769844 KB)… Time: 2:26 min, 5 MB/sec (43 Mb/sec)
Pass #7:Timing ‘Fire With Fire.avi’(769844 KB)… Time: 2:22 min, 5 MB/sec (44 Mb/sec)
Pass #8:Timing ‘Fire With Fire.avi’(769844 KB)… Time: 2:33 min, 5 MB/sec (41 Mb/sec)
Pass #9:Timing ‘Fire With Fire.avi’(769844 KB)… Time: 2:31 min, 5 MB/sec (41 Mb/sec)
Pass #10:Timing ‘Fire With Fire.avi’(769844 KB)… Time: 2:31 min, 5 MB/sec (41 Mb/sec)

Average Transfer speed after 10 passes is: 42 Mb/sec

next up is Samba

~ # /usrdata/.wd_tv/theme/Beta/bandwidth_test “/tmp/media/samba/DYGERTSERVER/Extra/Action2/Fire With Fire.avi”
Pass #1:Timing ‘Fire With Fire.avi’(769844 KB)… Time: 10:43 min, 1 MB/sec (9 Mb/sec)
Pass #2:Timing ‘Fire With Fire.avi’(769844 KB)… Time: 10:20 min, 1 MB/sec (10 Mb/sec)
Pass #3:Timing ‘Fire With Fire.avi’(769844 KB)… Time: 13:23 min, 0 MB/sec (7 Mb/sec)
Pass #4:Timing ‘Fire With Fire.avi’(769844 KB)… Time: 10:49 min, 1 MB/sec (9 Mb/sec)
Pass #5:Timing ‘Fire With Fire.avi’(769844 KB)… Time: 10:19 min, 1 MB/sec (10 Mb/sec)
Pass #6:Timing ‘Fire With Fire.avi’(769844 KB)… Time: 10:28 min, 1 MB/sec (10 Mb/sec)
Pass #7:Timing ‘Fire With Fire.avi’(769844 KB)… Time: 12:49 min, 1 MB/sec (8 Mb/sec)
Pass #8:Timing ‘Fire With Fire.avi’(769844 KB)… Time: 12:36 min, 1 MB/sec (8 Mb/sec)
Pass #9:Timing ‘Fire With Fire.avi’(769844 KB)… Time: 11:58 min, 1 MB/sec (8 Mb/sec)
Pass #10:Timing ‘Fire With Fire.avi’(769844 KB)… Time: 11:6 min, 1 MB/sec (9 Mb/sec)

Average Transfer speed after 10 passes is: 8 Mb/sec

I’m surprised that samba did not see the sharp decrease like NFS did, but even though it faired just slightly better, it’s still no where near blu-ray capable, when you consider the average blu-ray is 25 Mb/Sec

I think my largest rip is 45 Mb/Sec for a single movie

Not a good start to resolving this issue.

NFS - I downloaded FreeNFS and have tried to follow THESEinstructions.  They are not written with real noobs in mind though, and it took me an age to figure out that I need to install B-Rad’s Webend configurator, before I can Xmount the NFS Drives (is this correct?)  Given that the last update for this was August 2011, is the tool still current?  I don’t want to overwrite the current firmware with something outdated.

Handbrake - seems simple enough to use, and the queue system might let me set up and run without too much interaction.  However, it really is pummelling my 4 cores, and they are registering in the 60s as I type (fans full on), and I have had 2 BSODs and not completed encoded file yet.  Still trying…

OK so finally encoded Moulin Rouge as an MKV and it runs well - no buffering - hooray.  But I don’t like this 2 step process, and also Fast Forward/Back is painfully slow.  Also, while it is not bad at all, I can see the degradation of quality from the orginal BD.  So I am still investigating NFS.  Do I really need WEC?

WEC is specific to WDLXTV firmware which currently does not exist on this device

step 1 & 2 required

steps 3 - 5 only for multiple drives

steps 6 -7 WDLXTV specific

maybe you want to tell us what you’ve done and what parts are not working

edit: the SMP has native NFS support, but WD disabled it by default

once your NFS server is running

on SMP go to Settings - Network - enable Linux file sharing

then go to view your media

select, source, network shares, linux shares, IP address

Thanks for the response KAD79.  I’ve completed steps 1 thru 4, with no difference to performance - implying the NFS share isn’t set up properly.

I’ve tried to find “Settings - Network - enable Linux file sharing”, and I don’t see anything there.

The menu options in “Settings” are:

Network Setup

Check Connection

Device Name

Network Share Mgt

Workgroup.

My firmware version is 1.12.14

My version of the firmware is: 

settings - network

then you need to scroll down

there’s actually about 8 different items there

enable linux file sharing is the last one on the list

thanks for your patience KAD79…

OK so I didn’t know you could scroll off the bottom of the screen :flushed:

I enabled the Linux Shares and followed your directions.  When I clicked on the IP Address, I got the message:

“Unable to connect to the selected source…”

One thing I have noticed is that the Linux IP Address that comes up is 192.168.1.65 which is not my WDTV Live address - is that an issue?  I could not see how I could change it though.

For more info, my setup is pretty simple:

I have a 1TB disk dedicated to Movies - F:\Movies, so my free NFS path is "F:".  As there is only one drive at the moment, is this all I have to do?

Help me Obiwan - you are my only hope :wink:

Help me Obiwan - you are my only hope :wink:

LOL,

well the IP address should be the IP address of the machine running FreeNFS

a couple of thoughts, if it can’t connect

1. possible FreeNFS is not set up correctly,

2. check that FreeNFS (program) is running and that portmapper (service) is running - portmapper is required

3. some have reported various network set up problems preventing NFS from working

– a. make sure jumbo frames are disabled on your NIC

– b. check flow control settings on your NIC, some people need it off, some need it on

– c. if possible you could try a different NIC, I had to use a different NIC in my Dad’s set up for NFS to work (hardware problem)

checked 1 and 3 are OK.  Would not know how to check for the Portmapper Service.  Life is short and Xmas is coming, so, I think I will live with SMB and MKV files and the slow fast forwards / rewinds till after Xmas.

Thanks for your support anyway.