Hd-dvd

I have a few hd-dvd movies was wondering if anyone knows of a way to get them to an iso file. I have the Xbox external player that is a USB thinking I could hook it up through computer get a program turn it into an iso and hopefully the Live plus will play the file. whhich I am to understand is an mpeg file any ideas or solutions?

AnyDVDHD will rip a HDDVD to an iso file

But I don’t know if the WDTV LIve will play it bac. Let us know how you get on

i used anydvd to decrypt and copy the disc to the hard drive. this is using the 360 hd-dvd drive with windows 7 which has built-in support for the drive.

i used hd-dvd/blu-ray stream extractor to grab the audio and video tracks i wanted to keep.

If you don’t mind taking up 30 GB for a single movie, you can simply rip it to the hard drive and put it in an MKV container for easy playback. That takes mere minutes. But if you want to make it a manageable size (like 10 GB for a movie), you have to re-encode it and compress it.

i then used handbrake to encode it to a smaller mkv. i used the high quality settings with mkv.
i converted the subtitles to srt format for packaging into the mkv file. i think i used suprip for that. that part of my memory is foggy.

if you’re going to use a media player like WD TV, then you’ll have to tweak the high settings a little to ensure no stuttering.

You can preserve all the audio tracks with MKV. I kept all the DTS-HD and DD+ tracks in my HD-DVD conversions but also converted them to standard AC3 and DTS so yeah, it was a little extreme to have a MKV with so many audio tracks. You can also have multichannel FLAC within the MKV. On a Battlestar Galactica episode, I think I had 6 audio tracks (DTS-HD, DD+, AC3, DTS, director’s commentary AC3, and multichannel FLAC).

But MKV is very easy to work with. I can rearrange the audio, video, and subtitle tracks in whatever order I want in mere seconds.

I’m not sure if backing up these newer audio tracks will make a difference but hopefully in the future it does. Currently, very few programs can actually recognize these tracks and play them as-is. Most programs will see them and on-the-fly play them in DTS or AC3. I know my WD TV will play the DTS-HD or DD+ audio track but someone in another forum told me it wasn’t really playing the track as-is but was converting it. On the PC, there are more options to play these newer codecs.

use eac3to as the program with anothereac3togui as the GUI front-end to convert between audio formats.