Having issues with my WDTV. Starting to get really annoyed

UPDATE: I have fixed the issue. I installed OS X Lion on my iMac and setup a network share with SMBUp. It’s essentially the same thing as using Samba on Ubuntu, except my reason for going back to OS X was in hopes to use their built in file sharing service (but it didn’t work).

After configuring SMBUp, it works fine.

I may attempt to install Ubuntu again and mess around with Samba and permissions, but for now I will stick with OS X and SMBUp.

I bought it a year and a half ago and I have been using my iMac with Ubuntu installed to share folders using Samba to stream my movies/videos/shows to my WDTV.

In the beginning I had nothing but luck with it. It loaded fast, streaming large files was quick (thanks to my 450mbps router which I had to purchase to actually use the WDTV), it never had any rebooting or connectivity issues.

Now, for the past couple months, all I have been having is problems.

The device will freeze often.

It reboots often.

It wont find my server even though all the other devices on my network find and connect to it perfectly.

Yesterday it was working fine. I was streaming movies from my server. Then it randomly booted me and now it says “username or password invalid” and wont let me connect to the server.

I don’t even have a password on the server, and just using “anon” and a blank password would work, but not anymore. I have tried restoring to factory settings, rebooting the server, trying to connect with “root/admin” and nothing. will. work.

NOTE: I AM NOT USING THE LATEST 2.X FIRMWARE. I UNDERSTAND THERE IS A NETWORK STREAMING ISSUE WITH THAT VERSION, AND I DOWNGRADED BACK TO THE LATEST 1.X FIRMWARE MONTHS AGO.

So as you can see, I am having major issues. I am no longer happy with my WDTV because it simply isn’t working. It went from working to not working for no reason, because nothing has changed.

Any suggestions? I don’t think I want to spend another $100 on a WDTV.

Hi, just to confirm, the same issues you are experiencing now also happen with the latest firmware?

Yes, all of the issues persist on the latest firmware as well.

See if the link below helps. 

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming/How-to-resolve-quot-Network-shares-quot-access-problems-with/m-p/671513#M27826

My file server is running Ubuntu and that thread is for Windows.