Hard drives attached to new WDTV Live left running even when media player is powered off

Hey guys, any help that could be offered here would be greatly appreciated!

I just upgraded my old WD TV Live to the newer model with WIFI so I could use internet services on my plasma TV. I have noticed that unlike the older model, even when the media player is turned off, the attached portable hard drive that I keep my movies on (WD elements 500gb), is left powered on and running. On the older unit, when the media player was off, so were any attached drives.

This concerns me as it cannot possibly be good for the hard drive to be left running 24/7, even when not in use. Surely this will only lead to the hard drive burning out that much quicker.

Is my new media player faulty or is it meant to do this?

Thanks for your help.

Adman wrote:

I just upgraded my old WD TV Live to the newer model with WIFI…

Then you should post in the newer model forum.  ;)

You’re not turning it off.  You’re putting it in STANDBY.  And that’s the way it’s designed to work.

Your HD should still go to “sleep,” though, if it’s not being accessed…

If you REALLY want it OFF, then hold the power button on the remote down for > 3 seconds.   Make sure you EJECT the USB drives first, though, or you risk corrupting the file system.

Thanks for the reply. What I’m concerned about is not the media player itself, its the attached hard drive that never turns off even when the media player itself is turned off. On the older model, when the media player was switched off, the light on the attached hard drive would also switch off, indicating that it had powered down. With the new one, the hard drive is constantly on, even when the media player is off. This can’t possibly be good for the hard drive- running 24/7-365.

Like I said, the Live SMP goes into STANDBY so that it maintains network access.

If you really want it shut down completely, do what I describe above.