Hard drive locked using Wd Live Plus.Asking for Password which I dont have one to put it.help

had a movie on pause on Wd Live Plus and when I went back to it it says I have to unlock it.Thing is I never set  a password and when I got the hard drive I reformated it.So I didnt have any of the ■■■■ that came with the drive on there.I want to know how do I figure out the password so that I can unlock it.I downloaded smartware and I am putting in password after password and nothing is happening.I do not want to reformat cause I dont want to lose all of my files that I have since I dont have any back up.it is over 800 gigs of stuff on my hard drive.I would like any help if possible.I do not know what else to do.I dont have a password for it so I cannot unlock it.Please help.

wdbacwoo20hbk-00

What kind of hard drive is this?

Model number is on the bottom.It is the My Book Essential 2 TB.

You’re probably going to need to call WD Tech Support.

I don’t see how it’s possible that the Plus set a password, but that’s beside the point.

I don’t think you’ll be able to unlock it.   If it were easy to unlock, then the whole password thing would be worthless.

To me the whole password thing is worthless.I dont need password protection on the drive since I am the only one going to use it.The drive made its own password and then locked itself.I dont know how it happened.I have called the so called tech support and it was useless.All they could do Is send me a replacement.So all my files is lost forever cause of a malfunction of the hard drive.I cannot afford 149.00 a hour to get my files back in the third part company.When I got it I fomated the drive which wiped out all of the ■■■■ on there so I dont know how the password got on there.All I know I was watching a movie paused it came back about 2 hours to find out it was asking me for a password.I dont have a clue what happened.I just wish I could figure out a way to fix it but it doesnt look like I will.I may sell this drive they are sending me and get another one that has not passwording in it.Those that do have password stuff is useless.

krisjack wrote:

To me the whole password thing is worthless.I dont need password protection on the drive since I am the only one going to use it…

I may sell this drive they are sending me and get another one that has not passwording in it.Those that do have password stuff is useless.

Well, that’s why the My Book Essentials drives (password-capable) cost more than the Elements drives (not password capable – just a bare drive).  You could have saved money in the first place if you hadn’t paid extra for features you didn’t want.

krisjack wrote:

When I got it I fomated the drive which wiped out all of the ■■■■ on there so I dont know how the password got on there.

The password features/encryption are on the controller, not on the drive… you can’t get rid of them by formatting the drive.  The unlocker application is on a non-removable VCD partition (which may or may not be hidden, but can’t be removed).  All you removed was the SmartWare application.

krisjack wrote:

I have called the so called tech support and it was useless.All they could do Is send me a replacement

Well, not that it helps you now, but they do tell you that in the manual.  Even they can’t access the encrypted data off the drive:

• CAUTION!  If you forget your password, you will not be able to access the data that is on your drive or write new data to it. You will have to erase the drive before you can use it again.

• Warning: WD Cannot retrieve your password. If you forget your password you will permanently lose access to your data.

Yeah well I cant even reformat it now.I couldnt find anything else at my walmart that had no password encription that had 2 TB.If I had I would bought it instead of this paper weight.I never set up a passord so that it what I am so puzzled about.I dont know how a drive can lock itself and then ask for a password if you havent set on up for it.I wish there was a way to remove the password .It says that I can under setting but I cannot get to the setting since its locked.This is just too crazy for me and I am very mad at this whole situation.this should not have happened ever.I never heard of it happening before to anyone else.

What do you mean you can’t even reformat it??  

If that’s the case, maybe your drive is DEAD, not just LOCKED.

How does a drive go dead in only 2 months tho.I dont get it.Just out of the blue with no user error just croak.Maybe it is possible that I got a bad drive I guess.

The drive isnt even showing up on my pc.It does show up on the smartware software tho but it says it locked and when I click on it ask me to put in a password which of course what is the passord is the big question.

If you read the manual you will find that you can use the Unlock utility and after 5 unsuccessful password attempts it allows you to erase your drive (which of course will mean the loss of your files).

That dont work.That is a lie from, the manual.

Well, if you deleted the SmartWare application off the drive, and hid the unlocker VCD, then obviously you have no access to the Unlocker utility.  If you can’t run the Unlocker utility, then you can’t make use of its ability to format a password-protected drive.  The fact that you can’t run the utitlity, doesn’t make what the manual says the utility can do if you ran it, a lie.

Well maybe it was removed when I formated it two months ago when I got it.I was hoping that when I formated to ntfs format that I removed all the useless stuff on there but I guess not.So basically there really isnt anything anyone can do to recover my files.

Software here

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?wdc_lang=en&fid=wdsfMyBook_Essential

Instructions here

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3741

You could try reinstalling the software and then using the unlock.

What unlock?

If no password has been entered by user - is their not a default one they are sent out with???

just hope my drive does not do the same, I have formated and got rid of the software on it as well.

reading this thread shows how easy to lock drive if it got turned on.

That link dont work

krisjack wrote:

What unlock?

Did you read the link I gave you? If you need help its a two way thing you know.

Yeah I read the link but did me not good.I dont need to set up a password I need to figure it out to unlock it which is impossible to do.I just wish there was a reset button to change the password to a default one.