Hangs after the recent update

After the recent update player hangs every 30 min or so!

It is not possible to switch it off, the reset to factory settings doesn’t help.

This IS ridiculous , guys.

Terrible, terrible work! The player is not fully functional, destroys data on my HD, lost a lot of data already.

I want my money back.

:angry:

I have the same problem. The unit just erase my data and cannot play any media or even Youtube. Anyone has a solution)-:

You must at least try to read the other posts on this board before asking for help.

Have you tried:

resetting the unit via the side button

resetting the unit to factory defaults

unplugging from the power adaptor and leaving for some minutes. (not seconds)

Doing all 3 one after the other before playing anything.

Sometimes this helps and sometimes it does not .

I have multiple of these units (3 units one for every TV in my house)  I can confirm that all 3 of these units started locking up someones within a couple minutes) of access a large folder over a network share.

One of my network folder has approx 1000 sub folders, each sub folder has 1 folder.jpg image and a single media file

When I access this folder over a network share the unit locks up usually within 3-60 seconds.  The unit must be unplugged to reset it. It works fine on my other smaller folders < 100 sub folders.  I tried to contact support and they suggested i replace the hadware (ya like 3 units all fails immediately after a firmware update with the exact same symptom is a hardware issue)

Its clear that the new firmware has a bug or memory leak when access large folders over the network. I hope WD has someone who reads this forum who will try the exact symptoms i described in their lab which will prove this is a firmware issue. 

All 3 of my units worked flawlessly until the latest firmware update.

It may not be the WD.

Someone else here reported an issue with many many sub folders and it turned out to be a Windows problem.  They had to edit their registry (you might try doing a search, but if you can’t find it I’ll see if I can find the appropriate post).  It has to do with lengthening the placeholder to hold that much information (because Windows wasn’t really designed for that many sub folders in any one directory).

Just because the WD worked before doesn’t really mean anything – some things can be “fixed” (like accessing things inappropriately) that then make things not work anymore.  One thing is for sure – you really do have WAY too many sub folders, man .

richUK wrote:

You must at least try to read the other posts on this board before asking for help.

Have you tried:

You must al least try and read posts from multiple uses about the new firmware causeing lock ups and stop being so condescending about known bugs.

Why are you recommending users go through steps above when they need to roll back the firmware?

We know there is  a known WD tracked major bug causing lockup and requiring disconenction if users have more than a few dozen “folder.jpg” since the avaible memory for cache has been drastically reduced.

just call WD tech support and tell them you are getting lockups in folders over network share wiht more than 50 subfolders with “folder.jpg” they will tell you this is a brand new MAJOR bug.

lg4lg4 wrote:

richUK wrote:

Have you tried:

You must al least try and read posts from multiple uses about the new firmware causeing lock ups and stop being so condescending about known bugs.

Why are you recommending users go through steps above when they need to roll back the firmware?

We know there is  a known WD tracked major bug causing lockup and requiring disconenction if users have more than a few dozen “folder.jpg” since the avaible memory for cache has been drastically reduced.

just call WD tech support and tell them you are getting lockups in folders over network share wiht more than 50 subfolders with “folder.jpg” they will tell you this is a brand new MAJOR bug.

The new firmware 1.02.21 came out on 30th March 2010. The first post in this thread was made on 5th April 2010 and the second 9th April 2010. My post which I did say may or may not work was posted on 9th April 2010. Thats 9 days after the firmware was released and 3 weeks ago!!

The orginal posters did not make any reference to the problem that you are referring to, only that the unit hangs after 30mins (not 30secs), data being erased and not being able to access youtube,  therefore my post stands. Your ‘major bug’ possibly refers to the problem posted after mine on 16 April 2010.

I suggest again and this time definitely condescending that you read all the posts from the beginning before jumping in with both feet. Also if you have read any of the other posts you will see that the method I suggested is indeed a valid way of getting your unit working particularly after a firmware upgrade and a number of users have had success. Its not hard to do and if it does not work then you have lost nothing, Does WD recommend rolling back the firmware? I doubt it.  If the original posters had returned and said that my suggestion had not worked then I would have pointed them to a post which explains the roll-back procedure, as I have done many times in the past.

Thanks for telling us other users about this ‘major bug’ and we will keep it in mind when we attempt to help users with their problems.

lg4lg4 wrote:

richUK wrote:

Have you tried:

I also notice that you have made a total of 4 posts including this one and joined exactly 1 week ago. Except for this post where exactly is the ‘major bug’ mentioned. You tell us in detail your problem, your troubleshooting but nothing more. Where is it mentioned that this a ‘WD tracked major bug’ and that its due to the available memory being reduced. How would anybody know that unless it was posted by somebody and verified by WD?

lg4lg4 wrote:

OK, I have just connected to a network share drive on my computer and am able to see (& count) 110 folder thumbs which are displayed by using the folder.jpg. I have many more folder.jpg on this drive but they in are in sub-folders. My WDTV does not hang or exhibit any problems. In total I have 687 folders with the majority having the folder.jpg.

Using my NAS via network Shares I can see 123 folder thumbs but also has sub folders with more folder.jpg.

You also say in one breath more than few dozen and then more than 50?  Perhaps you could explain why I can see 123 using the latest firmware when according to you this ‘well known major bug’ should be hanging up my unit.

You don’t think that it is because I always practise what I preach when changing my firmware.

I am not saying there is not a bug but if there is one it takes more than a couple of dozen or even over 100 to exhibit it.