[GUIDE] use PR4100 as central Kodi database

Kodi is an excellent media player to play your DVD backups and other multimedia stored on your WD NAS.

This guide explains how to setup a central Kodi database to keep your watched content in sync on all your Kodi devices.
In other words: a common library and watched status on your TV, laptop, tablet and phone… you can pause a movie on your TV and continue watching in another room.

Step 1: Install phpMyAdmin
It is an app in the official WD app store.
When you click configure, use admin - admin to login.

The top row has items such as “Databases”, “SQL”, “Status”, “Users”, …
Select Users.

Step 2: Add kodi user
Create a new user by clicking “Add user”

Fill in username = kodi
Leave host open
Fill in password = kodi (or use the generate button)

Don’t create a database.

Click check all in the privileges tab.
(fine tuning can be handled later)

Finish off by click “Add user” at the bottom.

Step 3: setup Kodi clients
Create a file “advancedsettings.xml” with the following contents
Replace the ***.***.***.*** with the IP address of your PR2100 / PR4100
If you used a random password, make the necessary changes.

<advancedsettings>
  <videodatabase>
    <type>mysql</type>
    <host>***.***.***.***</host>
    <port>3306</port>
    <user>kodi</user>
    <pass>kodi</pass>
  </videodatabase> 
  <musicdatabase>
    <type>mysql</type>
    <host>***.***.***.***</host>
    <port>3306</port>
    <user>kodi</user>
    <pass>kodi</pass>
  </musicdatabase>
  <videolibrary>
    <importwatchedstate>true</importwatchedstate>
    <importresumepoint>true</importresumepoint>
  </videolibrary>
</advancedsettings>

Now copy this “advancedsettings.xml” file to the userdata directory of your Kodi client.

Android:     /sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata/ (see note)
iOS          /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/Kodi/userdata/
Linux        ~/.kodi/userdata/
Mac          /Users/<your_user_name>/Library/Application Support/Kodi/userdata/ 
LibreELEC/OpenELEC     /storage/.kodi/userdata/
Windows      Start - type %APPDATA%\kodi\userdata - press <Enter>

For more info: check this url

Start Kodi again. Your library will be empty, but when you scan your directories again, the mysql database will fill up.
For information about library backups, look here.

Now enjoy your synced Kodi clients!

Hate to pop your bubble, but all this seems quite useless and unnecessary. Why do I say this? Because my Kodi database is already populated in Kodi app, and because I added ALL the media libraries I need within Kodi with Kodi’s “Add files” selection.

Example: in Videos main category on front screen, select Files, then choose “add videos”; Select the WD NAS, decide if the videos will be played via UPnP (aka DLNA) or SMB (Samba network shares). I use both formats depending of what I deem appropriate. Most all my Videos in Kodi app are served up in SMB format, but when I add Music, I often prefer UPnP. because I like the thumbnail menu format.,

All my media files are not just on my NAS; I have 2 large HDs full of media and connected to my WDTV and they are also a media source in Kodi. Even my PCs and attached drives are also in the Kodi media library.

Kodi is installed on my FireTV sticks, and although I have the “pure” Kodi app installed, I have moved away from using it anymore and use an Amazon-approved version of Kodi that’s easily installed from the Amazon app store. App is stripped of all the features that allow adding piracy video sites, and therefore meets Amazon’s standards for an acceptable app from their store. This version of Kodi is called MrMC. Folks with FireTV really ought to use this version as it is a no-brainer install unlike the “real” Kodi app. Using MrMC is just like using Kodi; just without all the piracy stuff. MrMC is made by Kodi developers and programmers.

My bubble has multiple Kodi devices… this guide explains how to keep them in sync.
When I watch a movie, I can pause it and continue from the same point on a tablet.
When I scan for movies with my PC, my TV doesn’t need to scan the same movies anymore.

To get this behavior, you need a central database such as MySQL.

FYI, vanilla Kodi doesn’t ship with any piracy apps, nor does Kodi promote piracy, nor support it.

1 Like

@Tfl: Good info! I’ve been doing this with my four Kodi boxes for years (since Gotham, I think…)

Some people even do similar stuff by sharing certain XML Config files over the network so that configuration of the players themselves remain in sync (GUI settings, and whatnot.) I’ve not gone that far.

Correct, Kodi does not ship with any apps at all, but it does ship with the ability to ADD any site in the world, including piracy sites. Also correct, Kodi does not promote piracy. Nevertheless, having the ability to “do evil” with Kodi has kept it out of the Amazon app store until MrMC came along which does not have the ability to add any sites. MrMC is perfect if one needs Kodi for local network access only and does not engage in video piracy via the internet; e.g. watching first run movies illegally broadcast from foreign countries. People are having their internet access cut off for doing this.

Mike, feel free to create your own thread about mrmc and amazon boxes but let’s keep this thread about synced Kodi clients by using mysql server on the wd nas.

I realise this is a very “old” thread, but so am I and I still work. Anyway, two questions.
First, will this also work on an EX-4100?
Second, As I have absolutely NO intention of watching movies or other media on a micro-screened computer, especially since we had a 55" Samsung, to where would one install Kodi?