Guide to direct backup, unbrick , disassemble process (video) like MBL ones?

chetan_shah wrote:

Well i managed to get an MYbook cloud - PCB only - and had and WD 3TB red drive lying around. I thought i could build a NAS like i did with my 3TB my book live.

Wow, would you mind telling me how you got that PCB?

In exchange I can offer the information how to make a working NAS :wink:

some one was selling it on ebay. will post the pics for you in a few moments

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v272hvg10fqam6a/Photo%2020-03-14%202%2051%2036%20pm.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7l5j7ul8va8zhvj/Photo%2020-03-14%202%2051%2044%20pm.jpg?m=

chetan_shah wrote:

some one was selling it on ebay. will post the pics for you in a few moments

Thx for the pics!

You can use one of the images given here, but you must know that after following those instructions you do not get a correct installation. Once you have come so far, please post here again.

I am currently investigating how to make it fully working and will PM you as soon as I have it.

any one guys  ?

@ linadmin10 , the link you gave is for MY BOOK LIVE. :mansad:

chetan_shah wrote:

any one guys  ?

@ linadmin10 , the link you gave is for MY BOOK LIVE. :mansad:

Sorry, but after finding out that those files were defective I have deleted them together with the links …

It would be really useful if WD offered a genuine disk images for those who need it.-

Maybe Bill_S has a better ear if you PM him?

Sorry to reply to such an old topic.

I have a MyCloud 4TB.  Had SSH’d into the box and loaded JRE/Java binaries so that I could run CrashPlan as a headless backup.  Was working great until the latest F/W release.

After I upgraded, went in and loaded default-jre-headless and libjna-java again.  Got errors and couldn’t remove with apt-get (threw ELF page errors).  I tried manually reloading the new F/W again to take it back to stock, but the UI would no longer open, so I did a 40-second reset to see if the device would respond. Long story short - the UI is still not responding, and now I’ve lost SSH :(.

So… I’ve opened it up.  I have my laptop running Ubuntu courtesy of Pendrive and have tried several times to re-image both raid partitions using the rootfs.img from the a previous version of the F/W found on Softpedia.  I’ve had no luck so far.  dd doesn’t report any errors, but when I power on the device, all I get is a solid white light that flashes every 40 seconds (1 flash, then back to solid).  It’s been like that for 4 hours now.

I have tried blowing away the partition tables and repartitioning with parted, then reimaging, but still having the same issues.

I’ve read that the flashing white means that fsck is running, but is there a certain frequency that indicates different processes running?  Any idea how long I should give fsck?  I know the data partition is pretty large…

Also - has anyone tried mounting the raid partitions and changing fstab to prevent fsck from running?

Just looking for some input here.  Trying to save this thing, but last resort is buying a synology, scrapping the PCB from the MyCloud, and re-using the HDD…

Issue resolved.  More searching landed a 3TB virgin image.  Restored and FINALLY got a blue light.  Just have to SSH and run parted to expand the data volume. 

Anyone know of a 4TB virgin image?

WShelt0n wrote:

Issue resolved.  More searching landed a 3TB virgin image.  Restored and FINALLY got a blue light.  Just have to SSH and run parted to expand the data volume. 

Anyone know of a 4TB virgin image?

Where can I find the 3TB virgin image? Link would be great :slight_smile:

And a link for the 2TB one would also be great :wink:

EDIT: here are some links to 2TB and 3TB images !

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/Here-is-WD-My-Cloud-2TB-virgin-disk-image/td-p/637769/page/2