[GUIDE] Repackage My Cloud OS5 NAS Apps

This guide will demonstrate how to easily extract and repackage NAS apps for My Cloud OS5.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Before proceeding, an SSH connection and basic Linux skills are required.

My Cloud OS5 app packages are nothing more than a tar.gz file concatenated with a 204 byte header. To repackage any app, simply remove the header from the bin file, extract the resulting tar.gz file, then repackage the app using the WD app packager tool included in the My Cloud OS5 SDK.

Remove App Header:

• dd if="MyCloudEX2Ultra_Transmission_1.16.bin" of="MyCloudEX2Ultra_Transmission_1.16.tar.gz" bs=204 skip=1;

Extract App Package:

• tar xvf MyCloudEX2Ultra_Transmission_1.16.tar.gz;

Repackage App:

• cd Transmission;
  • ../mksapkg-OS5 -E -s -m WDMyCloud;
  • cd ../;

All My Cloud NAS devices use one of two basic hardware architectures, and repackaging an app must be done using a source app with the correct architecture, or it won’t work.

AMD64 Architecture (x86_64):

• My Cloud PR4100
  • My Cloud PR2100
  • My Cloud DL4100
  • My Cloud DL2100

ARM Architecture (armhf):

• My Cloud EX4100
  • My Cloud EX2100
  • My Cloud EX2 Ultra
  • My Cloud Mirror Gen 2
  • My Cloud Gen 2

For example, the My Cloud EX2 Ultra (armhf) is a good app source package for the My Cloud Gen 2 (armhf), but the My Cloud PR4100 (amd64) is not.

Hi @Cerberus,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:

WD, perhaps you should teach your bot how to read, because having it respond to threads like this is NOT a good look.

• guide
  • demonstrate
  • how to

How much more obvious could it have been?

1 Like