[GUIDE] Install serviio DLNA Server v1.2.1

Thanks… do you think this would have any bearing on visible media… as I say I’m very confident the media has been scanned in… it is shown in the log, but I don’t understand why it’s not visible… either by web mediabrowser, ServiiGo, or DLNA client.

Done… now going to test…

On the part of the Guide (below)…

It may be worth mentioning that you will first be asked to select Y to use additional space and also update packages… and only after that point will PHP5 install start

Now let’s install PHP5 and some other dependencies

When asked, KEEP THE CURRENT FILES OR CONFIG

The first time type N and enter to keep the current files/config

The second and third time keep existing files should already be highlighted so just hit enter

busterdan wrote:

Done… now going to test…

On the part of the Guide (below)…

It may be worth mentioning that you will first be asked to select Y to use additional space and also update packages… and only after that point will PHP5 install start

Now let’s install PHP5 and some other dependencies

When asked, KEEP THE CURRENT FILES OR CONFIG

The first time type N and enter to keep the current files/config

The second and third time keep existing files should already be highlighted so just hit enter

I will add this in when I get to my desktop, thanks for pointing out I left that out. I left the server scanning all night and didn’t have a single crash. All of my media is showing up on a WDTV Streaming Media Player, so I’m not sure why it isn’t showing up for you unless the UPNP server isn’t running? When you go to add a DLNA server, does serviio (MyBookLive) or similar show up? That’s what shows up on mine and then I get Audio, Image, Video. Then it again breaks it down into other categories.

If the server isn’t visible, use the webui or serviidroid to start the UPNP server.

Yep uPNP is running…

In the Web media Browser I can see the files… I managed to get one to play but it was buffering constantly… (no obvious issues with my network by the way).  That said I can only see the files by browsing “Folders”… if for example I select “Movies” nothing is shown.  I have tried rescanning, enabling transcoding etc… but doesn’t seem to help.

On my TV… the server is found but it reports “No content found”

In ServiiGo I connect but when browsing again to the folders where my media is I get the message “Unable to Connect”

Using Skifta on my Phone I just seem to get a continuous “Retrieving Media Items”.

I’m thinking this might be a permissions issue…

At the moment I have all my Videos in a sub-folder within Shared Videos…

Firstly does it make any difference whether the folder is added directly… or should it be added via the Shared Video path…

for example

/shares/Public/Shared Videos/Others

or just /shares/Public/Shared Videos/… (and the media scan will run recursively)

Does it matter if you set the path as…

/shares/Public/Shared Videos/Others

or

/DataVolume/shares/Public/Shared Videos/Others

My Shared Video folder and all subfolders appear to have 775 permissions and the owner is “Nobody [99]”

On My Shared Video there is an additional Owner it seems “Serviio”… this does not exist on the subfolders…  I tried setting this against all the subfolders, setting the permissions accordingly but it didn’t seem to help.

Is the Media library stored in a database?.. the Serviio configuration itself seems OK I just don’t understand why the media files are not showing or are not playable

When I try to enter categories which will show tons of files, I have the same problem where it seems to timeout trying to display all the media. I then go to a category that will break the media down a bit and the media displays but it is slow going. The MyBookLive seems underpowered for sure.

As for as paths go, I just point mine to /shares/Movies and /shares/Pictures and /shares/Music and it picks up everything in that folder and all subfolders.

I’m gonna reinstall serviio one more time to make sure I have the guide down pat

Guide updated again to add dcraw suppoort which clears another error out of the log

The other errors are due to user serviio not having a home directory

@busterdan, I just tried the serviio media browser and my media shows up ok but it is slow to browse. Also I THINK the media library is stored at /usr/local/serviio/serviio-1.2.1/library/db/seg0 in all those .dat files

Hi,

Could you confirm Serviio is functioning as normally for you ? How is the playing perfromance for pictures and different media types ?

Have you enabled transcoding on other volume ?? Are the instructions updated for the same ??

Thanks in advance.

Reinstalled again… done nothing different but it seems that the media library is scanning and the media items are showing up now on my Playstation and also ServiiGo…

I’m still scanning (without metadata at the moment) and seems to be going quite quickly… will report back later.

a_abhijit wrote:

Hi,

Could you confirm Serviio is functioning as normally for you ? How is the playing perfromance for pictures and different media types ?

Have you enabled transcoding on other volume ?? Are the instructions updated for the same ??

Thanks in advance.

It’s functioning good but times out on folders with alot of media

Basic DLNA is working great

Transcoding is hit and miss, mostly miss… The Sony SMP profiles were the only ones that would transcode 720p mkv files quick enough for a smooth stream but if your player doesn’t support the transcoded container and codecs then you are out of luck. My WDTV Live (Gen3) would play the transcoded file no problem but my WDTV Play would not play the file at all

Instructions on the main page are updated with everything new I have added to get the GUI working properly

Uploading the license file from the included GUI is not working and is listed as a bug on their page

Another bug I noticed is that you have to manually add the transcoding path as using the GUI to select it doesn’t add it. Not sure if this is a known bug on their end or not

busterdan wrote:

Reinstalled again… done nothing different but it seems that the media library is scanning and the media items are showing up now on my Playstation and also ServiiGo…

I’m still scanning (without metadata at the moment) and seems to be going quite quickly… will report back later.

Thanks for you persistence with this and a appologize I didn’t test it more thoroughly when I put the guide up initially. Thanks to you though I seem to have gotten it to a pretty darn stable state. It still struggles with folders with tons of media. It may be that you have to break down the data into seperate folders so browsing the media doesn’t time out.

Begrudgingly I think I will have to revert to Twanky again…

Shame, but Serviio is just not able to run properly on the MBL and whilst I can break down my library into smaller folders this creates other convenience issues for me.

NFODIZ… I really appreciate your help trying to get this running reliably.  If I just delete the serviio folder will that as good as uninstall it?

Not really, because all the other dependencies would still be installed. I believe your best course of action would be to install whatever firmware you have now again from the dashboard. If it’s one of the last few firmwares, I can PM you the link to the deb. Just let me know what firmware you need

Thanks nfodiz, I have Twonky 7.0.9 installed now and it seems to be working, I’ll see how I get on in the meantime and any problems will reset the firmware.