[GUIDE] Install serviio DLNA Server v1.2.1

No problem… glad you know what you are doing :slight_smile:

Installed a clean OS and it is working like a champ so far. To remove a folder from the GUI you have to untick the media boxes and then click the remove button.

I will continue adding media to the drive to see how it goes

How many files do I have to add before I start running into issues?

It’s adding 2 files a second to the library on average at the moment with almost 1,000 titles added

busterdan wrote:

The log continues to show only those “Could not initialize class org.serviio.config.Configuration” warnings

My log only shows those errors when I first started the server. The log now continues to expand with all the titles being added to the library.

The only errors popping up are these about every 30 seconds

2013-05-30 11:40:00,849 WARN [prefs] Could not lock User prefs. Unix error code 2.
2013-05-30 11:40:00,850 WARN [prefs] Couldn't flush user prefs: java.util.prefs.BackingStoreException: Couldn't get file lock.

I’m up to 2,200 titles and it’s still working good

The server finally crashed at

Files Added:  2369

I forgot to create my Swap partition after I debricked the drive to a clean OS… Not sure if that has anything to do with it but I setup swap and am now in the process of rebooting and seeing if it picks up the scan

After restarting the server, I was getting those weird errors but then the scan seemed to pick up again and the errors were gone. I think we may just have to scan in small chunks at a time.

Once the scan was done, I fired up my WDTV SMP and went to the serviio media server and all the files were there and playable

(Almost 2,000)

When you say Clean OS do you mean a factory reset of the MBL? eeek!!! I had major issues with that… it seems really inconsistent and each time I have ended up having to copy 800+ GB of data back :frowning:

Also how did you create a swap file… I reckon my Media Library crashed at about 2500 files as well.

OK this is a bit strange… my router just died and so had to reboot it… (yank the power cable out)… having rebooted I was unable to access the MBL… so I did the same to that… once rebooted, Serviio was once again available (this is the reinstalled version and no Folders shown).

I noticed in the MBL Web Gui that for one of my folders that media sharing was not enabled, unlike the Public shares that seem to be enabled by default.  I don’t know if this is an important point to note but I have now enabled media sharing on that share.

Having started the Serviio Web Console, I was able to add the folder (Videos), unlike before this has saved fine… unfortunately it hasn’t recognised that there are files in the folder and added them to the library… will continue playing with it.

By the way thanks for the tip on deleting folders… works fine after all the media options are unticked…

OK one of the issues seems to be that for scanning to work you have to place the media in the Public folders only… which may seem obvious but I don’t recall that being mentioned anywhere…

It’s now scanning… and added about 12 video’s (with Metadata) in about 10 minutes, thr folder has about 150 items so it’s a good one to test with.

I am able to add and scan shares I create in the dashboard with no problems. Strange things going on lol

Its crashed again… doesn’t seem to want to scan for media… grrrrrr

And despite the scanning it has already done, no media items are it seems available

Slight correction… it seems if a media scan fails… or is interrupted (as I did) then the only way to revert back is by removing the folder and the re-adding it.

I’m now using the Windows Serviio Console as it seems more robust.

Let me know how you make out. Maybe the web console is the problem

Well in my not very technical, don’t understand this unix based stuff opinion… I think there are a combination of issues but they can be overcome…

The Web console works but is hit and miss.

The MBL is underpowered and prone to crashing.

Serviio uses Java, which as far as I am aware is always processor intensive.

If the media scan fails for whatever reason then you may as well pull the plug on the MBL and let it start again ideally of it’s own accord.

Don’t retrieve Metadate, it kills the scans and makes the media scans more prone to crashing.

Even if Servvio seems to be completely broken… it may not be… sometimes it just seems to get really confused (or maybe that’s the MBL?), give it an hour or so and if nothing then pull the plug.

I am now scanning my next batch of videos… it’s been going for about 10 minutes and is up to 82 videos… (no metadata)… In the meantime the MBL is happily streaming a 720P movie to my Samsung C Series TV (No transcoding on though).

I’ve now managed to add about 13000 items to my media library… another 9000 pictures are being added now… this is a bit more like it! :slight_smile:

Now this is using the Windows serviio console? Can the Windows serviio console be installed without installing the whole Windows serviio package?

I just installed both as it was easier… You could stop the server service though, the console is separate and not dependent on the server.

It may be a php issue with the console. I was reading the home page for the web-ui and it lists the following requirements

Server Requirements
Apache Web Server
PHP 5+ (modules: curl, xml)

I’m gonna try installing php5, curl, php5-curl and php-xml-parser Monday and will test stability and the error log again and report back.

All of my media is scanned in but I can’t see any of it… Tried with ps3, android, and serviigo will not connect. But the server is running and seems to be fine… Very strange… I may have to go back to Twanky at this rate.

Updated the guide with the PHP5 requirements for the webui and also added some commands to get rid of the webui and serviio downloads to keep the OS partition clean.

This seems to have

• Got rid of most of the errors in the log
  • The start and stop UPnP/DLNA server buttons now work
  • The server seems more stable now when using the webui
  • Scans still slow down quite a bit at around the 1500 title mark

I added an apache restart at the end before starting the server as I was running into issues starting the serviio server without restarting apache2 first

Users that have already installed using the old guide

Stop the serviio server

/etc/init.d/serviio stop

Now we want to rename our sources.list and create a new one

mv /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list.bak
nano /etc/apt/sources.list

Now copy and paste the following sources into the blank PuTTY/Terminal window (Right click mouse button)

deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main

Hit control and o

Hit enter

Hit control and x

This will save the file

Now we need to change permissions on the file

chmod 755 /etc/apt/sources.list

Now let’s install PHP5 and some other dependencies for the webui

Type y when asked to continue and again when asked to install without verification

When asked what to do with /etc/cron.d/php5 type N and hit enter (Keep your-currently installed version)

When asked what would you like to do about php.ini, select keep_current and hit enter

Again when asked what would you like to do about php.ini, select keep_current and hit enter

apt-get install php5 php5-gd php-xml-parser php5-intl zlib1g dcraw

Restore your sources.list

rm -f /etc/apt/sources.listmv /etc/apt/sources.list.bak /etc/apt/sources.list

Ok let’s start the server!

/etc/init.d/apache2 restart/etc/init.d/serviio start