[GUIDE] Debrick MyBookLive v2.0

nfodiz thanks thanks thanks!

You saved my bricked 3TB mbl !! (transmission with apt-get bricked it…)

I used linux reader to backup the files on my desktop and then just followed exactly what the v2.0 guide says.

Everything worked perfect!

Thanks nfodiz, one more MBL Debricked thanks to your guide…

Just a question… The Transmission 2.82 Guide for WD My Cloud is compatible with our WD MBL?

Thanks again…

finally found a better way to fix mybook live. been trying to get this thing to work again now for a year. Since i was deployed in afghanistan. thank you so much

Thanks for the great post and Guide!

I followed the Guide 1 using a new WD Caviar Green 2TB:

1. Using Win 7 Disk Management, I initialized the new HD

2. I used sysrescd on USB instead of sysrescd on CD

3. I was successful up to step 15

4. In step 16, GParted reports a corrupted backup partition and prevents successful resizing of the /dev/sdb4 (the new HD is sdb).

5. Using Win 7 Disk Management, I deleted the volumes to get one unallocated space.

6. I repeated Guide 1 up to step 12 (logged out and shut down the sysrescd)

7. Using Win 7 Disk Management, I expanded the last volume to maximum (woot! not error!)

8. Shut down Win 7, unhook the new HD, reinstalled the new HD in my book live, connected network, powered up; SUCCESS!

9. Followed step 14 and I have the 2TB space after the (auto) reboot!

10 Successfully updated the firmware to 02.43.03-022, enabled SSH

All is well and going great.

Again many thanks for the great guide.

PS.

I was able to get the updateFile.deb (for 02.43.03-022 FW). Let me know if you have use for this file.

@nfodiz

can you please update the first post with the info that the MBL will work with a 4TB hdd, i used the 3TB recovery image, and then initalised the device, factory data restore and then put it back into gparted, expanded the partition and preplaced the drive back into the MBL. and hey presto, 4TB MBL.

cheers

Jason

Hi guys, I’m trying to sort it out what to do, but without much luck.

I’ve plugged the hard-disk with an USB-Sata into a linux laptop to restore the partition with the rootfs image, but I can’t see any partition when running gparted or disk uitility. On Gparted it only show a big chunk of unallocated 750mb (smaller than my 3TB HD), I tried checking the partitions on rlinux and there I could see all partitions in the way they were supposed to be, but I haven’t found a way to write an image over a partition via rlinux.

The things is, I can’t run the dd comand to write the image if I don’t know which partition to write (sdb1, sdb2, etc), but I can’t see a way of listing the partitions since the system is not identifying them (aside rlinux).

Do you have any idea of what to do? I would prefer to just restore the 2gb partition instead of deleting all partitions and re creating them since I’m not sure the way they need to be setup (it’s a WD My Cloud device).

Many thanks!

UPDATE: I’ve followed other guide and managed to recreate some partitions. I’m still checking if it will work, but fingers crossed.

Hi guys. I have a WD 3TB. Did restore the instructions, but the device still does not work … Gparted shows the results (see photo).What to do next?

IMG_04952.jpg

I have the same thing in Gparted , and after 

root@sysresccd /root % dd if=/mnt/usb/mybook3tb.img of=/dev/sda bs=1M

nothing is happening

Sorry, it worked. Just leave it for 5/10 mins and alls well.

Hi, i have USB-SATA cable connected to laptop. I could see my 8gb stick and mybooklive at geparted.i followed this guide and everything went smoothly, no errors. But afterall when I plug in MBL to Ethernet and DC i still see yellow LED and can’t access dashboard or ssh. So it failed. I’ve read USB-SATA could be the cause, but shouldn’t I see any errors during debrick in that case?anyone succeeded with USB-SATA?

I’ll update on this one. Apparently mybook.img was initialy corrupted on my 8GB stick. When i copieed again it took much longer to proceed but after all it worked!

I made debrick using samsung laptop and USB-SATA cable. MBL is back to life and working fine. Green LED:)

Thanks for this guide.

cheers!

After i try to unbrick my device with Guide 1.0 6 hours…

I see that Guide 2, and it’s works and fully unbricked, but i have one problem i get red light, after boot, and stay red, but i can use the device without problems…

"

Drive SMART failure

The drive self-check failed. Please contact customer service."

Thank you very much !! 

Used the Guide yesterday and it was ez as pie, thanks for the great guide!

Just got my backup back on the MybookLive after 8 hours kopying it back from backup disk to MBL.

Was a fun experience tho, so perhaps ill tinker more with it (Linux) later on.

Hi,

I have a MBL 3TB enclosure, but I can´t see it in my network. With a drive installed, the LED is glowing yellow (I´m not sure, but I guess green and red are glowing simultaneously). Without a drive it glows red.

My router shows all the hardware (MAC-adresses) he finds, but not the one of the MBL.

Is it possible, that the cause why I can´t find it, is because there is no drive with a proper image? Or should I see at least the enclosure and an error message?

Would it be possible that it runs again, when I install a 2TB drive and did I have to use the image for the 2TB or for the 3TB version?

Thanks in advance

€: I tryed to get the 3TB-Version working with a 1TB Samsung HD103UJ (and the 1TB-Image) and after a couple of attempts (typed “sda1” instead of “sda” etc…) it is running!!!

SMART comes up with some things like that the file-server is corrupt, but i can write files and the WBL is visible in the network

thank you for your effort to teach people (who don´t know anything about linux, networks and this whole stuff) some stuff like that

€2: today i installed a 4TB WD Red and expanded the Partition from 3TB to the full capacity and it works too.

right now i´m having a problem to wake up the MBL from sleep-mode, but besides this, it runs fine.

Thanks for taking your time to write this nice guide!

I tried to debrick my MLB 3 TB, but used the 1 TB image (did not see the newer version).

During disk check I got a lot of bad blocks and the whole process lasted over 2 hours with very low disk performance. I believe the HDD is simply bad. Any idea to do anything but to trash it?

Thanks!

//CD

Thank you very much for this tutorial. It saved my 2T MyBookLive.

I used USB to SATA cable and Virtual Box on win7. No need to do any changes to my computer and 100% safe.

My HDD was really messed up with because I tried other tutorials and I ended up formatting the HDD with NTFS but none worked. This tutorial worked great even with my messed up HDD.

One more thing, I had some problems because I types sda1 instead of sda. So watch out, it is sda.

ths,it works for me ,my mbl3t is back

Hello! My hard drive in book is dead =( I buy for change new disk - WDC WD20EURX-63T0FY0, but it’s don’t work. When i connect unbricked drive to matherboad and turn on power - i see just blue led and lan connect/disconnect every 10 seconds. How i can fix if? May be problem in this “Sector Sizes:     512 bytes logical, 4096 bytes physical”

My boot log:

U-Boot 2009.08 (Sep 02 2010 - 21:48:57), Build: 0.2.3

CPU: Rev. D at 800 MHz (PLB=200, OPB=100, EBC=100 MHz)
Security support
Bootstrap Option E - Boot ROM Location NOR/SRAM (8 bits)
32 kB I-Cache 32 kB D-Cache
Board: Apollo-3G - APM82181 Board, 2*SATA, 1*USB
I2C: ready
DRAM: Auto calibration 256 MB
FLASH: 512 kB
DTT: 1 FAILED INIT
Net: PHY EC1 Register: 0x2c8c
ppc_4xx_eth0

Type run flash_nfs to mount root filesystem over NFS

Hit any key to stop autoboot: 1 1
Do initialization on SATA1 …
Waiting for device…
sata_dwc: Device found
sata_dwc: Waiting for device…
Loading file “/testcfg/mfg_test_cfg” from sata device 1:1 (gpt1)
set po.
failed to READ SECTORS (I/O error, err_mask=0x4)
sata_dwc : Hard disk read error.
Machine Check Exception.
Caused by (from msr): regs 0fe76480 Data Write PLB Error
NIP: 0FFA7B50 XER: 00000000 LR: 0FFA7B2C REGS: 0fe76480 TRAP: 0200 DEAR: 00000000
MSR: 00029000 EE: 1 PR: 0 FP: 0 ME: 1 IR/E76F44 00000058 FFFFFF70 00000001 00000001 5C8A1330
GPR08: 0FF7BF58 E20D1820 05F5E101 E20D1818 24FF4F28 20002303 0FFC0400 0FFB4730
GPR16: 0FF83120 0FFB470C 0FE76DA4 0FE76CA4 0FFC00A8 0FE76590 00000001 0FE76820
GPR24: 00000FC0 0000000F 00000000 00000000 00000001 00000000 0FFC2040 0FFBF288
Call backtrace:
0FFA7B2C 0FFA8E6C 0FFA9050 0FFA5C4C 0FFA5248 0FF8498C 0FF9AF00
0FF9B034 0FF94864 0FF95608 0FF7BAB4 0FF79710
machine check

Please, not working link… Help.

Guide 1 (1TB and 2TB MBL)

1. Download the virgin disk image (02.11.09-053) (291MB) from

https://mega.co.nz/#!AAFFnQxA!PfId_3R6RRhS_EJ01X4lbAhr8QQi0R4oainKc8gYpRE

I’m using a 8TB MyBookLive Duo. It’s bricked.

How to debrick my 8TB MyBookLive Duo?

Is it the same as this 3TB MyBookLive Duo?

Cheers

Pei