[GUIDE] Debrick a MyBookLive DUO

EDIT: I finally figured out the pagesize/blocksize is the issue. 4k expected, 65k on disk. so I got it mounted through fuse-ext2 but if anyone has a better suggestions, I’d love to hear it.

Out of curiosity, has anyone mounted their disks in a linux machine and managed to mount them?
Mdadm examine and everything looks good but i get a message when I try and mount md3

server6:~ # mount -t ext4 /dev/md3 /mnt/mybookliveduob/
mount: /mnt/mybookliveduob: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/md3, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.

1 Like

Please see my post on Jan 4. The script method seems to require older hardware and older methods. The de-brick method I put together works on modern systems and does not require any scripting or specific linux version.

Good Luck!

1 Like

I have a MBLD that I found bricked upon return from an extended vacation. I tried the debrick process described herein. I debricked both my A and B drives. They APPEARED to debrick successfully. They’ve been reinstalled for about an hour now, and so far, I’ve seen the MBLD reboot itself once that I caught (maybe more?). It is currently displaying a solid yellow status, which is the way I found it upon my return from said vacation. Does anyone have any idea on how I should proceed at this point?

I should note that I used the i686 version of the rescue CD. The amd64 version did not seem to want to work correctly, whereas the i686 version lit right up. The instructions in the debrick guide said to select the option to immediately start the gui. There was no such option, but there was instruction after the CD booted to type “startx” (no quotes) to start the gui. That worked. I also saw the same results as previously mentioned regarding the mdadm -S commands. As -S is the option to stop them, I concluded that they were not running, so I let those messages lie.

Thanks to the community.

Hi DriveAngel,

My MBLD 6TB went down last week.
I tried Guide 1 above with no luck and waisted time.
I should have scrolled down to page 246 of 273 of this post.
Your instructions worked perfect!

Only problem I have is that the Firmware update from May 10, 2010 (your drive image 02.43.03-022) to May 7, 2015 (most current I can find 02.43.10-048) failed ==> 31103 Upgrade Fail.
Looks like firmware location at WD has been removed.

I did find the 02.43.03-022 firmware on the community page but it fails the manual upgrade process.
31101 - Invalid firmware package.

Questions:

1. What is the most current firmware date your are running on MBLD?
  2. How did you update it if greater than May 10th, 2010? The MBLD Dashboard process or some other way?
  3. Have you seen any outside IP attacks to your firewall with the firmware you are using? 103.145.XX.XXX, 192.241.XXX.XXX, 74.82.XX.XX, 52.24.XX.XX and others?

Thank you for your contrubution to the community.

Jeff

Thank you, thank you, thank you! This method debricked my MBLD. As you mentioned, software changes over time and revisions. The version I used of CloneZilla (downloaded within the last two weeks) was maybe not exactly the one you used, but the end result was that it worked, none the less. I use mirroring on my NAS, and I suspect a power failure bricked it. I couldn’t even get to the dashboard. Just blue status directly to yellow. Luckily, I had taken a copy of the content prior to departing for a long winter’s “vacation” last fall. So, I didn’t have any concerns about overwriting the disks. One of the inconsistencies I noted while debricking was that sometimes, when I booted from the CloneZilla USB drive, I was able to get to the restoredisk option, whereas other times, it just didn’t come up. In fact, sometimes only the savedisk and savepart options came up. Strange. That said, where the scripted debrick process failed, this option succeeded. You can bet I’ll have these images set aside for reuse again, should the need arise, and I have two spare Green disks handy if the originals fail to withstand the beating I’m about to put upon the NAS again! Thanks again!

1 Like

Following. I have noted the same firmware update failure.

1 Like

Thank you again, DriveAngel. I used your images to debrick my MBLD, as previously noted. After trying to work with it, I saw that it was slower than death. It was almost like the Stephen King story, Pet Cemetery. You can bring it back, but that doesn’t mean it’s going to be the same as it was. Subsequently tried a firmware update. The web update failed. So, I downloaded the files (02.43.10-048). Tried to update using these files from my PC. That failed. After that, I copied the .deb file to the NAS and put it in the Public/Software folder. I then tried the update from file again. Voila! It worked! Response time seems to be improved, as well. Looking good so far.

Hi TDKing,

Did you use the WD MyBook Live Duo dashboard to do the update from the apnea-024310-048-20150507.deb file that is installed on the public/software folder?

I get the same error as before.

Could you detail the steps for the update?

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff…

Yes, I used the MBLD dashboard as you illustrated. I downloaded the latest firmware (2015) from the support download site. I then used 7-zip to unzip it. From that was created a folder called ap2nc-024310-048-20150507, which contains a file called ap2nc-024310-048-20150507.deb. (I note that you indicate a different file/folder name.) I have my MBLD Public folder mapped as my N: drive. I copied the aforementioned folder into the Software folder on my N: drive. Then, using the Update from file option as per your illustration, I navigated to my N: drive and selected the .deb file and selected Open. My thinking was if the file is local on the MBLD (even though it’s seen through Windows Explorer), it may save some processing cycles. I did NOT check the Enable Auto Update box, as your illustration indicates. (I don’t know if that matters.) That’s it. Hope that helps.

TD

So I had a drive failure in my MBLD 6TB (2x3TB) device. It was drive A. I found that out by removing one drive and letting the device reboot, and then swapping out the drives and rebooting again. Whenever drive A was in the system, it became extremely unreliable - it reboots over and over. Sometimes it would go a day or two without a reboot, sometimes it would reboot a dozen times in a day.

So I decided to replace BOTH drives, since I’ve had this thing for several years now. I bought two 6TB WD Green drives, identical to the 3TB drives that were in it except they were 6TB. Even the part numbers were the same, except for the 6TB designation. I followed Guide 2 with the new drives. I used the following downloads:

The debrick script from above
The SystemRescueCd from Download systemrescuecd-x86-5.3.2.iso (SystemRescue)
The latest MyBookLive DUO firmware from https://download.wdc.com/nas/ap2nc-024310-048-20150507.zip

There’s a section in the debrick script that appears to write to the partition tables on the drive prior to creating the new partitions so it generates a bunch of errors. If you reboot your Linux box and run the script again, it runs without the errors, and appears to succeed. I did this with both of the new drives. Someone without any IT experience might think something is wrong there. They just need to run the script twice. And you can’t just run it twice, you have to reboot the Linux box between runs. If you just run it a second time without rebooting, it complains about /dev/md0 still being present and mdadm –S /dev/md0 gives you an error. Just reboot the stupid thing and run it again.

Now here’s where it gets interesting. Everywhere I’ve read I hear that you cannot upgrade the drives. I refuse to believe that. Since this thing is capable of creating a 6TB volume, I thought it would recognize and use the 6TB drives. Well, it kind of did. While waiting for the debrick script to build my second drive, I put the first drive into the device and booted it. It booted just fine and I was able to go through the initial agreement acceptance and get to the Dashboard. The LED was red, but it still let me log on. When I went to the Storage page, it said that the drive was a good 6TB drive, but that it FAILED. There was also a message on the dashboard saying that it couldn’t mount the data volume.

Then I logged into the shell. Parted had some really interesting things to say:
MyBookLiveDuo:~# parted
GNU Parted 2.2
Using /dev/sda
Welcome to GNU Parted! Type ‘help’ to view a list of commands.
(parted) p
Error: The backup GPT table is not at the end of the disk, as it should be.
This might mean that another operating system believes the disk is smaller.
Fix, by moving the backup to the end (and removing the old backup)?
Fix/Ignore/Cancel? i
Warning: Not all of the space available to /dev/sda appears to be used, you can
fix the GPT to use all of the space (an extra 1 blocks) or continue with the
current setting?
Fix/Ignore? i
Model: ATA WDC WD60EZRX-00M (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 6001GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt

Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
3 15.7MB 528MB 513MB primary raid
1 528MB 2576MB 2048MB ext3 primary raid
2 2576MB 4624MB 2048MB ext3 primary raid
4 4624MB 6001GB 5997GB ext4 primary raid

Sure doesn’t look like it can’t read the drive to me. I reran parted and told it to Fix all the errors that it found, and it fixed them. But the MBLD was still not happy. The drive was still a failure.

When debrick got done with drive B, I put it in the MBLD (by itself). Initially, I put it into slot B and got an eternal yellow LED and the Dashboard was stuck forever at “Initializing device. Please wait…” When I put it into the A slot, it had a yellow LED for a long time, but eventually turned red. On the web interface I got the same error about not being able to mount the data volume.

I had to do the same things to this drive with parted that I did to the first drive but when I did, it did not show partition 4 as being an ext4 partition. It was blank. I didn’t like that so I re-debricked it (three times). The first time, it didn’t fix partition 4. So I used GPARTED to delete all of the partitions and debricked again. Got the usual slew of errors and debricked again. Now partition 4 was an ext4 partition. Then I put it into the MBLD and re-fixed it with parted.
After doing that, I wanted to make sure that the device would boot up with either drive in either slot. It did. Then I put both drives in and booted one more time. It came up, but was still showing the two failed drives and messages about not being able to mount the data volume. When I did the quick factory reset – JACKPOT! I now have a 12TB MBLD. The default RAID configuration with a new MBLD build is RAID-0, which is why I have a 12TB device. And if I remember correctly, my device was 6TB out of the box. I had to change it to RAID-1 (my preference).

I wanted to check the swap partition. It bitched about there not being a /dev/md2 and swapon –s was not showing anything, but the silly thing was working so I left it alone – for now. The command to create /dev/md2 looks like it’s specific to RAID-1 and I didn’t want to muck with it since my device was sitting at RAID-0. I went ahead and used the web interface to switch it back to RAID-1 like it was before. After it gets done building the RAID-1, I’ll check it again and MAYBE I’ll run the commands to set up /DEV/MD2 and the swap. But I suspect that the reason the GUIDE tells you to do these steps manually is because all new debricks default to RAID-0. Just a hunch. To be honest, I really don’t know jack about Linux RAIDs. After about two hours, it’s about 19% complete with rebuilding the RAID-1. When it’s done, I’ll check to see if /DEV/MD2 and swapon –s show up differently.

So it looks like I need to create /dev/md2 and the swap after all. When my device got done changing itself to RAID-1, even though everything appears to be working from a functional perspective, the GUIDE tells me it needs to be there.

MyBookLiveDuo:~# parted -l

Disk /dev/sdb: 6001GB

Model: Unknown (unknown)
Disk /dev/md0: 2048MB
Partition Table: loop

Number Start End Size File system Flags
1 0.00B 2048MB 2048MB ext3

Error: partition length of 11712012016 sectors exceeds the
loop-partition-table-imposed maximum of 0

MyBookLiveDuo:~# mkswap /dev/md2
/dev/md2: No such file or directory
MyBookLiveDuo:~# mdadm --create -e 0 --verbose /dev/md2 --level=raid1 --raid-devices=2 /dev/sda3 /dev/sdb3
mdadm: size set to 500672K
mdadm: array /dev/md2 started.
MyBookLiveDuo:~# mkswap /dev/md2
mkswap: /dev/md2: warning: don’t erase bootbits sectors
on whole disk. Use -f to force.
Setting up swapspace version 1, size = 500608 KiB
no label, UUID=be3bd968-a193-4cd5-8716-c82ce1332897

3 15.7MB 528MB 513MB linux-swap(v1) primary raid

Disk /dev/sdb: 6001GB

Error: partition length of 11712012016 sectors exceeds the

Disk /dev/md2: 513MB

1 0.00B 513MB 513MB linux-swap(v1)

I got a little curious about the highlighted errors, so I stuck one of the original drives in the device and the error was still there.

MyBook:~# parted -l
Model: ATA WDC WD30EZRX-00M (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 3001GB

4 4624MB 3001GB 2996GB ext4 primary raid

Disk /dev/md1: 2048MB

Error: partition length of 5851500272 sectors exceeds the

It looks like I have a new MBLD with 2x6TB drives.

Congrats!
Several days ago I made a successful upgrade to 2x6TB from my initially MBLD 2x3TB (2012, Model # AP2NC).
The process is simple and straightforward. The same as I mentioned on Apr 10 .
I just follow the instructions (Thanks to DriveAngel again.)
Previously, following the same instructions, I also did successful upgrades for MBLD to 2x1TB (just as an experiment), and to 2x4TB.
I have got all the standard shares, arranged RAID1, and enabled Backup. The MBLD works stable.

Hi, I already have struggle for this My book live duo for a couple of days. I have a 4T version enclosure. I bought 2 Seagate Ironwolf disks for this box. But after guide 2, the led light is solid yellow, and I cannot connect the enclosure via web browser, because it did not get a ip from the router.
I have tried many solutions from this forum, 1) used guide 2, 2) cloned images, 3) debrick another 1T WD blue disk (successed) with one of this 4T disk, the dashboard shown that it does not support drive B and the status is bad.
Can someone tell me how to use these two 4T Seagate disks in this enclosure? Thanks in advanced.

1 - I would only like to clarify whether the error message was exactly “does not support…”?
Asking because previously in April this year I did experiments with my the only one I had
6TB ST6000DM003… I did tests on pair with a WD 3TB Green, the one of the original HDDs of my ‘MBLD 6TB’.
During my tests I didn’t get error messages showing “does not support”.

2 - Another question: - At the time when your MBLD was accessible via the dashboard (including with one WD 1TB installed), - was it possible to run the ‘Full Factory Restore’?

Just asking a stupid question, so please be kind. My MBLD got bricked when the power to my house went off twice in quick succession. Following the advice above I managed to recover all of the data. Now for the stupid question. For Step 3 I don’t have an eSata port on my laptop, so can I use a USB to Sata to connect the MBLD hard drive?

Thank you for your kind reply, Nick.

I have four disks. Two of them are WD, 1T and 250G, another two are Seagate, both of them are 4T.
I already tried many times.

1. WD 1T in drive A and WD 250G in drive B, the dashboard showed that it is good.

2. WD 1T in drive A and unformated Seagate 4T in drive B, the dashboard showed that it is in bad status. The error message is “unsupported drive” and “data volume failed to mount”.

3. After full factory restore, WD 1T in drive A and Seagate 4T in drive B, the dashboard error message is “drive failed”

4. only one Seagate 4T in drive A after this guide 2, it cannot accessable, LED light is solid yellow, and I cannot connect the enclosure via web browser, because it did not get a ip from the router.

5. For the first question, the error message is “unsupported drive” when I inserted an unformated disk in drive B.

6. For the second question, a full factory restore already done, but still cannot in good status.

Please help to make it runable. Thank you very much!

Hi sir,

After follow the guide, My Book Live duo Stuck on yellow light, and after check the drive it show this error symbol.

can u explain what is the problem i face it?

Thanks

The Year Is 2021.

Today, I managed to unbrick my own MBLD - SKU WDBVHT0040JCH

I share my fix, hope that it helps someone.

Mental Preparation:-
In my fix, Please Read Guide 2 at the start of this thread, carefully, as my fix is based on this…

Hardware Preparation:

1. Harddrive - KINGSTON SKC6005 (500GB) x 2 (Please choose your own… I am using this SSD for testing purposes…)
  2. SATA to USB x 1
  3. VMware Workstation or Virtual Box

Software Preparation:
systemrescuecd-x86-5.3.2.iso (SystemRescue - Browse /sysresccd-x86/5.3.2 at SourceForge.net)
Download 7zip from Download
Download the debrick script from debrick_mbld 2.5k
Download the latest MyBookLive DUO firmware (WDBVHT0040JCH) filename:- ap2nc-024310-048-20150507.zip
(https://download.wdc.com/nas/ap2nc-024310-048-20150507.zip OR Index of /wd/Book/frimware/frimware_duo/)
Download “My Net View” from https://downloads.wdc.com/wdapp/MyNetViewFull_1_0_12_0.zip

STEP 1 - Use VMWARE to create a VIRTUAL MACHINE called UBUNTU… (I put 4GB RAM, NO HDD),
Mount systemrescuecd-x86-5.3.2.iso as CDROM to that UBUNTU,
Start/PowerON UBUNTU VM, Connect HDD A via USB + Connect USB 16GB Pendrive that contain debrick_mbld.zip + rootfs.img (via following Guide 2)
It will boot up systemrescuecd-x86-5.3.2.iso and you just follow Guide 2, however…

STEP 2 - As In Guide 2, do the following for HDD A:-

mkdir /mnt/usb
mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /mnt/usb
cd /mnt/usb
mdadm -S /dev/md0
mdadm -S /dev/md2
mdadm -S /dev/md3
./debrick.sh rootfs.img /dev/sda destroy

yes yes yes… (ignore all errors), until you see
“all done! device should be debricked!”

Reboot that UBUNTU VM…

Now, repeat this STEP 2 again, for 3 times… (yes, 3 x Reboots and type those commands again…)

Then, Lastly, Turn off the VM, Connect HDD B via USB…

STEP 3 - Repeat STEP 2 for HDD B (yes, another 3 x Reboots and type those commands again…)

STEP 4 - Put HDD A and HDD B, back to their respective slot…

Turn on… you will see blue light…

If you see 5-10 mins orange light, Sad… it didn’t boot…
you can try adding this to the begining of the “debrick.sh” ./debrick.sh, see if that helps:-
#define_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE
#include <sys/types.h>

Put those 2 lines, and repeat STEP 2…

If you see another Color… (for me, was RED), means you’re in luck…

STEP 5 - Install “My Net View” and find the IP for your NAS…
Go to http://IP Address, thus, if My Book LIVE DUO Page appears,

> The HARD part is DONE.

STEP 6 - Let’s get the essentials working…
http://IP Address/UI/ssh & Enable SSH…
Putty/SSH to your device… and… login as…
root / welc0me

then…

SETUP SWAP:-
swapon -s
mkswap /dev/md2
mdadm --create -e 0 --verbose /dev/md2 --level=raid1 --raid-devices=2 /dev/sda3 /dev/sdb3
mdadm --detail /dev/md2
swapon -s

ENABLE SMART:-

smartctl -s on /dev/sda
smartctl -s on /dev/sdb

reboot

Putty/SSH to your device… Again…
swapon -s
smartctl -A /dev/sda (Optional)
smartctl -A /dev/sdb (Optional)

If it works, then yes! You can STOP here, as you can configure the NAS, via the http interface itself.

but if You want to configure using command, read on…

STEP 7 - Configure RAID using SSH Commands instead…
Choose… RAID 1:-
mdadm --create -e 0 --verbose /dev/md3 --level=raid1 --raid-devices=2 /dev/sda4 /dev/sdb4
OR Spanning:-
mdadm --create -e 0 --verbose /dev/md3 --level=linear --raid-devices=2 /dev/sda4 /dev/sdb4

After that, you can view the progress:-
mdadm --detail /dev/md3
or
watch mdadm --detail /dev/md3

After Rebuild Progress done, Perform Last Check-
cat /proc/mdstat
swapon -s
reboot

STEP 8 - Even After Reboot, it is still Red…
In the http interface, it shows RED, I point the mouse on it, it says…
“Data Volume failed to mount”

This fix works for me:-
Settings → Utilities → Factory Restore → Quick Factory Restore.

Doing so, Now it shows Green! :slight_smile: I am a Happy about my WDLD Fix! :slight_smile:

P/S: Yes, it works on Kingston SSD, on 500GB, no issues.

God Bless! Good Luck! (Hi From Malaysia)

More Info:-

Final Working MBLD:-
MyBookLiveDuo:~# mount
/dev/md0 on / type ext3 (rw,noatime,nodiratime,barrier=1)
tmpfs on /lib/init/rw type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755,size=5M)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,size=5M)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=620)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,size=100M)
/var/log on /var/log.hdd type none (rw,bind)
ramlog-tmpfs on /var/log type tmpfs (rw,size=20M)
/dev/md3 on /DataVolume type ext4 (rw,noatime,nodiratime,auto_da_alloc)
/DataVolume/cache on /CacheVolume type none (rw,bind)
/DataVolume/shares on /shares type none (rw,bind)
/DataVolume/shares on /nfs type none (rw,bind)
none on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
rpc_pipefs on /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw)
nfsd on /proc/fs/nfsd type nfsd (rw)
Model: ATA KINGSTON SKC6005 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 512GB

4 4624MB 512GB 507GB ext4 primary raid

Model: ATA KINGSTON SKC6005 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdb: 512GB

4 4624MB 512GB 507GB ext4 primary raid

Disk /dev/md3: 507GB

1 0.00B 507GB 507GB ext4

MyBookLiveDuo:~# cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [linear] [raid0] [raid1] [raid10] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4]
md2 : active raid1 sdb3[1] sda3[0]
500672 blocks [2/2] [UU]

md3 : active raid1 sdb4[1] sda4[0]
495590336 blocks [2/2] [UU]

md0 : active raid1 sda22 sda13 sdb2[1] sdb1[0]
1999808 blocks [2/2] [UU]

unused devices:
MyBookLiveDuo:~# smartctl -A /dev/sda
smartctl version 5.38 [powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu] Copyright (C) 2002-8 Bruce Allen
Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 16
Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME FLAG VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE UPDATED WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate 0x0000 100 100 000 Old_age Offline - 0
5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct 0x0000 100 100 000 Old_age Offline - 0
9 Power_On_Hours 0x0000 100 100 000 Old_age Offline - 38
12 Power_Cycle_Count 0x0000 100 100 000 Old_age Offline - 25
148 Unknown_Attribute 0x0000 100 100 000 Old_age Offline - 4
149 Unknown_Attribute 0x0000 100 100 000 Old_age Offline - 2
150 Unknown_Attribute 0x0000 100 100 000 Old_age Offline - 0
151 Unknown_Attribute 0x0000 100 100 000 Old_age Offline - 0
159 Unknown_Attribute 0x0000 100 100 000 Old_age Offline - 0
160 Unknown_Attribute 0x0000 100 100 000 Old_age Offline - 0
161 Unknown_Attribute 0x0000 100 100 000 Old_age Offline - 33
164 Unknown_Attribute 0x0000 100 100 000 Old_age Offline - 583
165 Unknown_Attribute 0x0000 100 100 000 Old_age Offline - 2
166 Unknown_Attribute 0x0000 100 100 000 Old_age Offline - 1
167 Unknown_Attribute 0x0000 100 100 000 Old_age Offline - 1
169 Unknown_Attribute 0x0000 100 100 000 Old_age Offline - 100
177 Unknown_Attribute 0x0000 100 100 050 Old_age Offline - 0
181 Unknown_Attribute 0x0000 100 100 000 Old_age Offline - 0
182 Unknown_Attribute 0x0000 100 100 000 Old_age Offline - 0
192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0000 100 100 000 Old_age Offline - 9
194 Temperature_Celsius 0x0000 042 049 000 Old_age Offline - 42
195 Hardware_ECC_Recovered 0x0000 100 100 000 Old_age Offline - 0
196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0000 100 100 016 Old_age Offline - 0
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count 0x0000 100 100 050 Old_age Offline - 0
231 Temperature_Celsius 0x0000 100 100 000 Old_age Offline - 100
232 Unknown_Attribute 0x0000 100 100 000 Old_age Offline - 100
241 Unknown_Attribute 0x0000 100 100 000 Old_age Offline - 1134
242 Unknown_Attribute 0x0000 100 100 000 Old_age Offline - 15912
245 Unknown_Attribute 0x0000 100 100 000 Old_age Offline - 19239

MyBookLiveDuo:~# smartctl -A /dev/sdb
smartctl version 5.38 [powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu] Copyright (C) 2002-8 Bruce Allen
Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 16
Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME FLAG VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE UPDATED WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate 0x0000 100 100 000 Old_age Offline - 0
5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct 0x0000 100 100 000 Old_age Offline - 0
9 Power_On_Hours 0x0000 100 100 000 Old_age Offline - 20
12 Power_Cycle_Count 0x0000 100 100 000 Old_age Offline - 17
148 Unknown_Attribute 0x0000 100 100 000 Old_age Offline - 19
149 Unknown_Attribute 0x0000 100 100 000 Old_age Offline - 2
150 Unknown_Attribute 0x0000 100 100 000 Old_age Offline - 0
151 Unknown_Attribute 0x0000 100 100 000 Old_age Offline - 1
159 Unknown_Attribute 0x0000 100 100 000 Old_age Offline - 0
160 Unknown_Attribute 0x0000 100 100 000 Old_age Offline - 0
161 Unknown_Attribute 0x0000 100 100 000 Old_age Offline - 43
164 Unknown_Attribute 0x0000 100 100 000 Old_age Offline - 997
165 Unknown_Attribute 0x0000 100 100 000 Old_age Offline - 4
166 Unknown_Attribute 0x0000 100 100 000 Old_age Offline - 1
167 Unknown_Attribute 0x0000 100 100 000 Old_age Offline - 1
169 Unknown_Attribute 0x0000 100 100 000 Old_age Offline - 100
177 Unknown_Attribute 0x0000 100 100 050 Old_age Offline - 0
181 Unknown_Attribute 0x0000 100 100 000 Old_age Offline - 0
182 Unknown_Attribute 0x0000 100 100 000 Old_age Offline - 0
192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0000 100 100 000 Old_age Offline - 5
194 Temperature_Celsius 0x0000 043 059 000 Old_age Offline - 43
195 Hardware_ECC_Recovered 0x0000 100 100 000 Old_age Offline - 0
196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0000 100 100 016 Old_age Offline - 0
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count 0x0000 100 100 050 Old_age Offline - 0
231 Temperature_Celsius 0x0000 100 100 000 Old_age Offline - 100
232 Unknown_Attribute 0x0000 100 100 000 Old_age Offline - 100
241 Unknown_Attribute 0x0000 100 100 000 Old_age Offline - 15900
242 Unknown_Attribute 0x0000 100 100 000 Old_age Offline - 419
245 Unknown_Attribute 0x0000 100 100 000 Old_age Offline - 32901

MyBookLiveDuo:~# swapon -s
Filename Type Size Used Priority
/dev/md2 partition 500544 24256 -1
MyBookLiveDuo:~#

Hi Team

I had the same loop-partition-table errors as BobCat124 on my MBLD disk upgrade (2x2TB->2x4TB configured as RAID1) while using alapha9’s suggested rm and mkpart.

Model: ATA WDC WD40EFZX-68A (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 4001GB

4 4624MB 4001GB 3996GB ext4 primary raid

Model: ATA WDC WD40EFZX-68A (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdb: 4001GB

4 4624MB 4001GB 3996GB ext4 primary raid

Error: partition length of 7805003504 sectors exceeds the

So, parted is unable to report on /dev/md3 as it thinks there’s a size problem with it, although /dev/md0 and /dev/md2 are ok.

When I run the df command available disk space looks good (3.7T):

MyBookLiveDuo:~# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/md0 1.9G 622M 1.2G 35% /
tmpfs 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /lib/init/rw
udev 10M 1.2M 8.9M 12% /dev
tmpfs 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /dev/shm
tmpfs 100M 4.7M 96M 5% /tmp
ramlog-tmpfs 20M 4.9M 16M 25% /var/log
/dev/md3 3.7T 2.1G 3.7T 1% /DataVolume

If I use mdadm to report on /dev/md3 then that also looks good:

MyBookLiveDuo:~# mdadm --detail /dev/md3
/dev/md3:
Version : 1.0
Creation Time : Mon Feb 14 10:16:10 2022
Raid Level : raid1
Array Size : 3902501752 (3721.72 GiB 3996.16 GB)
Used Dev Size : 3902501752 (3721.72 GiB 3996.16 GB)
Raid Devices : 2
Total Devices : 2
Persistence : Superblock is persistent

Update Time : Mon Feb 14 20:33:59 2022
      State : clean

Active Devices : 2
Working Devices : 2
Failed Devices : 0
Spare Devices : 0

Name : MyBookLiveDuo:3  (local to host MyBookLiveDuo)
       UUID : 2acd1d6a:3ad8fcbf:3d03197c:3487cccd
     Events : 9290

Number   Major   Minor   RaidDevice State
   0       8        4        0      active sync   /dev/sda4
   2       8       20        1      active sync   /dev/sdb4

The kernal thinks the RAID status is as it should be…

MyBookLiveDuo:~# cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [linear] [raid0] [raid1] [raid10] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4]
md3 : active raid1 sdb4[2] sda4[0]
3902501752 blocks super 1.0 [2/2] [UU]

md2 : active raid1 sda3[2] sdb3[3]
500724 blocks super 1.0 [2/2] [UU]

md0 : active raid1 sdb2[2] sdb1[0] sda2[3] sda1[1]
1999808 blocks [4/4] [UUUU]

unused devices:

…and also thinks the partition block sizes are correct:

MyBookLiveDuo:~# cat /proc/partitions
major minor #blocks name

8 0 3907018584 sda
8 1 1999872 sda1
8 2 1999872 sda2
8 3 500736 sda3
8 4 3902501888 sda4
8 16 3907018584 sdb
8 17 1999872 sdb1
8 18 1999872 sdb2
8 19 500736 sdb3
8 20 3902501888 sdb4
9 0 1999808 md0
9 2 500724 md2
9 3 3902501752 md3

The MBLD web interface also reports that everything is ok. (Sorry no screen image.)

Conclusion: everything is as it should be but this version of parted (GNU v2.2 from 2010), while ok at partitioning, is not good at reporting on RAID devices.

Very happy to be corrected if the above analysis is wrong and my data is at risk!

Hi DriveAngel Thank you for your effort. I need for 16TB image. I will use on Duo 2 16TB hardisk. Is it possible ?