[GUIDE] Debrick a MyBookLive DUO

I am having the same issue with the same configuration. Any update on a solution?

Unfortunately i haven’t found one yet.

Thanks for the quick reply. I’ve tried it 3 or 4 times and still the same. I’ve been using a USB drive for the SysrescCD and realized I needed a second USB for the debrick files. But still the same results. I’m going to try an actual CD burn but that doesn’t seem like it should make a difference. Maybe try an older PC though that doesn’t seem logical either. Frustrating as if this won’t work I have no desire to buy replacement drives if these drives, which are good, can’t be debricked. My issues started when the NAS got overfilled. That’s when it bricked I think.

My old PC did the Debrick perfectly.
Just in case, - my old PC is equipped with an ‘ASRock H81M-HDS’ motherboard, ‘Pentium G3220’ (Haswell) processor, 8GB RAM, and a DVD-RW to run the SysrescCD.
I set BIOS Default with some changes related to boot.
When it was needed, I used only a USB 2.0 port, NOT the USB 3.0.

Hi Gurus, I am in the midst of debricking my MBLD. I followed the guide 1 as I need to save my data. So here I am.

I downloaded the necessary files and and programs.

1. debrick_mbld.zip
  2. ap2nc-024006-048-20121206.zip
  3. systemrescuecd-amd64-6.1.6.iso

I have unzipped the .zip files (debrick.sh and rootfs.img) using 7-zip and copied the files to a FAT32 thumbdrive.

I have burn the iso to dvd and able to boot from it.

under gparted, I have
/dev/md126 (488.99 MiB)
/dev/sda (2.74 GiB) ------Thumbdrive
/dev/sdb (2.73 TiB) ------MBLD HDD A

in /dev/sda, I have /dev/sda1
in /dev.sdb, I have /dev/sdb3, /dev/sdb1, /dev/sdb2, /dev/sdb4

I open terminal and type
mkdir /mnt/usb
mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb
cd /mnt/usb
mdadm -S /dev/md0
mdadm -S /dev/md2
mdadm -S /dev/md3
./debrick.sh rootfs.img /dev/sdb

i have 2 questions.

1. Do I redo as gcc not found?
  2. how long is the copying?

follow is the image I capture

Any chance you have a 8TB 2x4TB images? Heh

Hey Step,

Did you use the root img from the original or the latest 2015 version. I tried the 2015 and wondering if that was a mistake.

I’m a 8TB MBLD with a span so you seem to be closest to my setup in the recent part of the thread.

Suggestions appreciated!

Hi Mgaulton,

I used ap2nc-024310-048-20150507.deb (so the latest 2015 firmware).

Hi please help… I’ve been trying to debrick my MBLD Raid1 for 3 days now. after running the script, I plug back the HDD to my case but still yellow light

Do i need to wait till it turn green?

Thanks. I used the same I believe, fresh download from WD but I’m still having issues.
I still get the warnings, no matter where I put the missing directives in the script.
I’ve run the process multiple times on both drives but I still have a yellow light.
Using the 5.2.0 rescue disk on USB, with the debrick and image files on another USB.
Its alternated between md126/127 and md0/2/3, I stop them all and run. Nothing seems to go amiss.

Any suggestions? I might have to madam -scan -assemble in another linux machine to get at the data, but I’d love to get the NAS going again.

EDIT: I finally figured out the pagesize/blocksize is the issue. 4k expected, 65k on disk. so I got it mounted through fuse-ext2 but if anyone has a better suggestions, I’d love to hear it.

Out of curiosity, has anyone mounted their disks in a linux machine and managed to mount them?
Mdadm examine and everything looks good but i get a message when I try and mount md3

server6:~ # mount -t ext4 /dev/md3 /mnt/mybookliveduob/
mount: /mnt/mybookliveduob: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/md3, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.

1 Like

Please see my post on Jan 4. The script method seems to require older hardware and older methods. The de-brick method I put together works on modern systems and does not require any scripting or specific linux version.

Good Luck!

1 Like

I have a MBLD that I found bricked upon return from an extended vacation. I tried the debrick process described herein. I debricked both my A and B drives. They APPEARED to debrick successfully. They’ve been reinstalled for about an hour now, and so far, I’ve seen the MBLD reboot itself once that I caught (maybe more?). It is currently displaying a solid yellow status, which is the way I found it upon my return from said vacation. Does anyone have any idea on how I should proceed at this point?

I should note that I used the i686 version of the rescue CD. The amd64 version did not seem to want to work correctly, whereas the i686 version lit right up. The instructions in the debrick guide said to select the option to immediately start the gui. There was no such option, but there was instruction after the CD booted to type “startx” (no quotes) to start the gui. That worked. I also saw the same results as previously mentioned regarding the mdadm -S commands. As -S is the option to stop them, I concluded that they were not running, so I let those messages lie.

Thanks to the community.

Hi DriveAngel,

My MBLD 6TB went down last week.
I tried Guide 1 above with no luck and waisted time.
I should have scrolled down to page 246 of 273 of this post.
Your instructions worked perfect!

Only problem I have is that the Firmware update from May 10, 2010 (your drive image 02.43.03-022) to May 7, 2015 (most current I can find 02.43.10-048) failed ==> 31103 Upgrade Fail.
Looks like firmware location at WD has been removed.

I did find the 02.43.03-022 firmware on the community page but it fails the manual upgrade process.
31101 - Invalid firmware package.

Questions:

1. What is the most current firmware date your are running on MBLD?
  2. How did you update it if greater than May 10th, 2010? The MBLD Dashboard process or some other way?
  3. Have you seen any outside IP attacks to your firewall with the firmware you are using? 103.145.XX.XXX, 192.241.XXX.XXX, 74.82.XX.XX, 52.24.XX.XX and others?

Thank you for your contrubution to the community.

Jeff

Thank you, thank you, thank you! This method debricked my MBLD. As you mentioned, software changes over time and revisions. The version I used of CloneZilla (downloaded within the last two weeks) was maybe not exactly the one you used, but the end result was that it worked, none the less. I use mirroring on my NAS, and I suspect a power failure bricked it. I couldn’t even get to the dashboard. Just blue status directly to yellow. Luckily, I had taken a copy of the content prior to departing for a long winter’s “vacation” last fall. So, I didn’t have any concerns about overwriting the disks. One of the inconsistencies I noted while debricking was that sometimes, when I booted from the CloneZilla USB drive, I was able to get to the restoredisk option, whereas other times, it just didn’t come up. In fact, sometimes only the savedisk and savepart options came up. Strange. That said, where the scripted debrick process failed, this option succeeded. You can bet I’ll have these images set aside for reuse again, should the need arise, and I have two spare Green disks handy if the originals fail to withstand the beating I’m about to put upon the NAS again! Thanks again!

1 Like

Following. I have noted the same firmware update failure.

1 Like

Thank you again, DriveAngel. I used your images to debrick my MBLD, as previously noted. After trying to work with it, I saw that it was slower than death. It was almost like the Stephen King story, Pet Cemetery. You can bring it back, but that doesn’t mean it’s going to be the same as it was. Subsequently tried a firmware update. The web update failed. So, I downloaded the files (02.43.10-048). Tried to update using these files from my PC. That failed. After that, I copied the .deb file to the NAS and put it in the Public/Software folder. I then tried the update from file again. Voila! It worked! Response time seems to be improved, as well. Looking good so far.

Hi TDKing,

Did you use the WD MyBook Live Duo dashboard to do the update from the apnea-024310-048-20150507.deb file that is installed on the public/software folder?

I get the same error as before.

Could you detail the steps for the update?

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff…

Yes, I used the MBLD dashboard as you illustrated. I downloaded the latest firmware (2015) from the support download site. I then used 7-zip to unzip it. From that was created a folder called ap2nc-024310-048-20150507, which contains a file called ap2nc-024310-048-20150507.deb. (I note that you indicate a different file/folder name.) I have my MBLD Public folder mapped as my N: drive. I copied the aforementioned folder into the Software folder on my N: drive. Then, using the Update from file option as per your illustration, I navigated to my N: drive and selected the .deb file and selected Open. My thinking was if the file is local on the MBLD (even though it’s seen through Windows Explorer), it may save some processing cycles. I did NOT check the Enable Auto Update box, as your illustration indicates. (I don’t know if that matters.) That’s it. Hope that helps.

TD

So I had a drive failure in my MBLD 6TB (2x3TB) device. It was drive A. I found that out by removing one drive and letting the device reboot, and then swapping out the drives and rebooting again. Whenever drive A was in the system, it became extremely unreliable - it reboots over and over. Sometimes it would go a day or two without a reboot, sometimes it would reboot a dozen times in a day.

So I decided to replace BOTH drives, since I’ve had this thing for several years now. I bought two 6TB WD Green drives, identical to the 3TB drives that were in it except they were 6TB. Even the part numbers were the same, except for the 6TB designation. I followed Guide 2 with the new drives. I used the following downloads:

The debrick script from above
The SystemRescueCd from Download systemrescuecd-x86-5.3.2.iso (SystemRescue)
The latest MyBookLive DUO firmware from https://download.wdc.com/nas/ap2nc-024310-048-20150507.zip

There’s a section in the debrick script that appears to write to the partition tables on the drive prior to creating the new partitions so it generates a bunch of errors. If you reboot your Linux box and run the script again, it runs without the errors, and appears to succeed. I did this with both of the new drives. Someone without any IT experience might think something is wrong there. They just need to run the script twice. And you can’t just run it twice, you have to reboot the Linux box between runs. If you just run it a second time without rebooting, it complains about /dev/md0 still being present and mdadm –S /dev/md0 gives you an error. Just reboot the stupid thing and run it again.

Now here’s where it gets interesting. Everywhere I’ve read I hear that you cannot upgrade the drives. I refuse to believe that. Since this thing is capable of creating a 6TB volume, I thought it would recognize and use the 6TB drives. Well, it kind of did. While waiting for the debrick script to build my second drive, I put the first drive into the device and booted it. It booted just fine and I was able to go through the initial agreement acceptance and get to the Dashboard. The LED was red, but it still let me log on. When I went to the Storage page, it said that the drive was a good 6TB drive, but that it FAILED. There was also a message on the dashboard saying that it couldn’t mount the data volume.

Then I logged into the shell. Parted had some really interesting things to say:
MyBookLiveDuo:~# parted
GNU Parted 2.2
Using /dev/sda
Welcome to GNU Parted! Type ‘help’ to view a list of commands.
(parted) p
Error: The backup GPT table is not at the end of the disk, as it should be.
This might mean that another operating system believes the disk is smaller.
Fix, by moving the backup to the end (and removing the old backup)?
Fix/Ignore/Cancel? i
Warning: Not all of the space available to /dev/sda appears to be used, you can
fix the GPT to use all of the space (an extra 1 blocks) or continue with the
current setting?
Fix/Ignore? i
Model: ATA WDC WD60EZRX-00M (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 6001GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt

Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
3 15.7MB 528MB 513MB primary raid
1 528MB 2576MB 2048MB ext3 primary raid
2 2576MB 4624MB 2048MB ext3 primary raid
4 4624MB 6001GB 5997GB ext4 primary raid

Sure doesn’t look like it can’t read the drive to me. I reran parted and told it to Fix all the errors that it found, and it fixed them. But the MBLD was still not happy. The drive was still a failure.

When debrick got done with drive B, I put it in the MBLD (by itself). Initially, I put it into slot B and got an eternal yellow LED and the Dashboard was stuck forever at “Initializing device. Please wait…” When I put it into the A slot, it had a yellow LED for a long time, but eventually turned red. On the web interface I got the same error about not being able to mount the data volume.

I had to do the same things to this drive with parted that I did to the first drive but when I did, it did not show partition 4 as being an ext4 partition. It was blank. I didn’t like that so I re-debricked it (three times). The first time, it didn’t fix partition 4. So I used GPARTED to delete all of the partitions and debricked again. Got the usual slew of errors and debricked again. Now partition 4 was an ext4 partition. Then I put it into the MBLD and re-fixed it with parted.
After doing that, I wanted to make sure that the device would boot up with either drive in either slot. It did. Then I put both drives in and booted one more time. It came up, but was still showing the two failed drives and messages about not being able to mount the data volume. When I did the quick factory reset – JACKPOT! I now have a 12TB MBLD. The default RAID configuration with a new MBLD build is RAID-0, which is why I have a 12TB device. And if I remember correctly, my device was 6TB out of the box. I had to change it to RAID-1 (my preference).

I wanted to check the swap partition. It bitched about there not being a /dev/md2 and swapon –s was not showing anything, but the silly thing was working so I left it alone – for now. The command to create /dev/md2 looks like it’s specific to RAID-1 and I didn’t want to muck with it since my device was sitting at RAID-0. I went ahead and used the web interface to switch it back to RAID-1 like it was before. After it gets done building the RAID-1, I’ll check it again and MAYBE I’ll run the commands to set up /DEV/MD2 and the swap. But I suspect that the reason the GUIDE tells you to do these steps manually is because all new debricks default to RAID-0. Just a hunch. To be honest, I really don’t know jack about Linux RAIDs. After about two hours, it’s about 19% complete with rebuilding the RAID-1. When it’s done, I’ll check to see if /DEV/MD2 and swapon –s show up differently.