Getting the smartware back after formatting

History of my problem:  I tried to format my Western Digital 1TB Passport so I could boot from it, but found out that I can’t. The WD company has put some sort of rootkit on it, which prevents it. I decided that I hate the WD company for doing this, and especially because they didn’t advertise, or let me know this before I bought it. I decided to keep the drive instead of returning it though. Why? Because the price of my 1TB HD, was cheep because it was a gift, and I don’t have the receipt, and the cost of a SeaGate 1TB HD is more expensive.

my problem: I formatted my drive, and now can’t protect it. I looked for a way to reinstall smartware, but they tell me to download the update, and when I do it tells me it can’t locate the drive, which is connected because I can view my files in my computer. So, if they tell me that it has to locate it to install and it can’t find it, how do I get my passport password protected?

!!!Please Help Me Protect My Passport!!!

Hi there

Go to www.wdc.com you will be able to download Smartware free, If you want post your drive’s model number so I can get the direct link for your download

It looks like the version of Smartware you downloaded is not the one for your drive, due to that is not recognizing the drive 

to setup password protection. You can reload the  Smartware Disk Image and then lock the drive. 

Hope this helps.

krazed wrote:

History of my problem:  I tried to format my Western Digital 1TB Passport so I could boot from it, but found out that I can’t. The WD company has put some sort of rootkit on it, which prevents it.  

Do you even know the definition of a rootkit?

krazed wrote:

I decided that I hate the WD company for doing this, and especially because they didn’t advertise, or let me know this before I bought it. I decided to keep the drive instead of returning it though. Why? Because the price of my 1TB HD, was cheep because it was a gift, and I don’t have the receipt, and the cost of a SeaGate 1TB HD is more

Funny, you bought a gift:dizzy_face:

krazed wrote:

my problem: I formatted my drive, and now can’t protect it. I looked for a way to reinstall smartware, but they tell me to download the update, and when I do it tells me it can’t locate the drive, which is connected because I can view my files in my computer. So, if they tell me that it has to locate it to install and it can’t find it, how do I get my passport password protected?

!!!Please Help Me Protect My Passport!!!

So… You want help to get back what you just said you hate because now you know that it is what allows the drive to do what it says? Your “rootkit” that does not allow the drive to boot is the password protection, which is HARDWARE based. If you could boot from a drive that has password protection then it would be easy to bypass the security and encryption because of the holes it would need to have to allow booting, making the encryption pointless… Just so you know.

Sounds like a Troll Story to me… And a bad one; I’ve seen better trolling before.