G-Drive Slowing Down

I have a 1TB G-Drive w/Thunderbolt 2 and USB 3.0, it’s exactly 3 years old. I bought it to transfer work between my Mac mini (2012) and MacBook Pro (2013). When new I tested the speeds at about 130MBps with either USB 3 or TBolt 2 on either machine (using BlackMagic Disk Speed Test).

A few weeks ago I bought a Mac Mini 2018 and hooked up the G-Drive with a USB-C to Micro-B cable, it worked fine, but when I ran BlackMagic it’s best speed was in the low 80’s, it was the same using a USB 3.0 cable. I then went back and tested the MacBook and older mini with both T-Bolt and USB 3.0 and got the same results. So I can safely say the drive has slowed down about 40%. My internal SSD and spinning drives are running at roughly the same speed as before.

Of course the drive has slowly filled up, and is currently at around 600GB, or 60% full. Its never been full and then emptied, just more files added over time. I’ve also never run any kind of maintenance utility as I’ve generally understood that with MacOS it isn’t needed or recommended (the drive is formatted MacOS Extended (Journaled).

So, is this considered ‘normal’? It doesn’t seem to me that the drive is too full for good performance, and it’s not like it starts spinning slower, what’s up? Is there something I can do to get the G-Drive back up to snuff? Is there something I should be doing to keep it in top shape?

Thanks for your help!

It is considered normal for any and all hard drives, the fuller they are the more performance will suffer on them.

Thanks for your response. I don’t have any other hard drives that have slowed down 40% when only 60% full, and there is such a large amount of free space compared to the typical files I save. I will try to do some further testing.

The issue is that this hard drive in general just blows. But I called support one day and they told me it was a sleep or awake setting. I can’t remember where to go for it, but you change that and it’ll be fine.

Thanks for sharing this info this is useful keep it up.
skylightpaycard official

This is often the most basic preventive method used to solve many an issue. In this case, stopping Google Drive operations in your PC will bring to an end all that is causing your PC to slow down, including de-clogging the RAM. Smite Source

Ya ingresó en su respuesta que su dispositivo tiene casi 3 años. ¿Cuándo fue la última vez que configuró su dispositivo para obtener un mejor servicio?

As your browser stores more cache and cookies, it could slow down** . Clearing the cache and cookies can fix issues with items taking longer to load. See Clear cache & cookies. PaybyPlateMa Browser extensions and plugins can sometimes cause issues with Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, or Forms. MyCenturaHealth

oogle Drive is syncing changes made by multiple users , your computer is constantly being asked to update those changes. Files are being updated, deleted, and moved, and you’re at the mercy of your machine. myjdfaccount.com pay bill

Experiencing slowdown on 3-year-old 1TB G-Drive with Mac Mini 2018. Speed dropped around 40%, tested on various machines. Drive at 60% capacity, formatted macOS Extended. Seeking advice to restore performance. Thank you for your assistance! Regards, MostlyBoating

The decrease in your G-Drive’s performance is not entirely unusual as drives can experience some slowdowns over time. Factors like file fragmentation and wear on the drive’s components can contribute to this. Raiderlinkttu

My 1TB G-Drive, initially speedy, slowed down by 40% on multiple Macs. It’s 60% full, no maintenance run. Is this normal, and what can I do to restore performance?

Your drive’s performance drop is unusual. Consider checking for firmware updates and testing with other cables and ports.