G-Drive 4TB Thunderbolt not connecting on Mac waking

My G-Drive has worked perfectly since purchased two years ago (though the constant random clucking is very annoying)

4 weeks ago my MacBook pro (2013) stopped seeing it on waking from sleep. I have to turn it off and on, and then its recognised. Connection is through thunderbolt cable to back of apple cinema screen. No connections have changed and High Sierra is on latest update. Update didn’t change any behaviour.

How do I get it working properly.

Thanks

Disable sleep mode on your computer, It is a recommendation from the get go once you start using external drives. A computer going to sleep can and will causes issues with recognition, disconnection etc. If your computer doesn’t go to sleep then you won’t lose the connection.

You can allow the display to sleep but not the system. However if you are attaching the drive through your display then it is a good idea to not allow that to sleep as well.

Thank you, but thats hardly a real solution. Very non eco friendly as well.

I think a better option would be to design external drives that went to sleep and woke with the computer. Others manage, and I’m wishing I hadn’t bought this drive now.

Andrew

Andrew Rixom

andrew.rixom@gmail.com