Ftp

I’ve searched for an answer to this but haven’t found anything that addresses what I’m trying to do, so my apologies if this addresses elsewhere.

I’m a web designer. I use my MyBook Live to store all of my client files so that they’re accessible to my laptop and other desktop on my home network.

I use Filezilla client to FTP files up to my hosting service and I need to be able to do that with this MyBook Live, otherwise it’s useless to me, I can just get a regular USB connected external hd (which I had previously, but it was starting to fail and needed to be replaced). I don’t need to connect to the MyBook Live via FTP in the sense that I need to move files back and forth from local machines to the drive, I can do that through my local network. What I need to be able to do is to FTP files FROM the MyBook live that is connected via my netgear router, TO my hosting service. Right now I cannot do that and I haven’t found a way to be able to do it. If anyone could help point me in the right direction on this I would be most grateful.

WIthout some serious hacking, it’s not going to happen.

There’s no FTP Client software on the MBL.

not what I was hoping to hear. So I guess I just need to return this drive then because it’s of no use to me. Is there no way to make it available as a regular storage device?

If Filezilla is installed on your workstation, and you can see the files on the MBL over the network, why is there an issue?  Can’t you just use it as before, with files stored on the MBL and using the Filezilla client on the workstation?

If I could see it in my directory listing on the left then it wouldn’t be a problem but it’s not showing there. Maybe there is a way to show a network drive there?

It’s amazing what a restart will do sometimes. It’s showing  up now. that’s very - very - strange.

Sometimes it helps to talk these things out.  Glad we could help.

ncftp  from the optware distribution can be very easily installed on the MBL.

It offers all ftp client functionality

see my post in

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Live/How-to-use-ftp-client-on-Mybook-live/td-p/250834

Best Wishes