FTP with write access

Hello

I enabled FTP access to the MPW. I can connect as anonymous (the only user available) . I can see the Public folder…and that’s it… I cannot upload file ‘553 Could not create file.’ I ve tried from a windows box or a linux box and I have the same results… Is there something I am missing here ?

Thanks for your help

lionel

Hi there and welcome to the WD community.

I have not tried this, although if you are trying to access the unit through the public folder you should be able to copy files with no problems. lets see if another user can share some information or tips on this matter.

I think the ftp installation on the MWP is buggy, because now without doing anything else I can’t even connect to it… I can ping the ip of the MWP but I have a ECONNREFUSED response when trying to do a basic FTP… Does anyone is actually using the FTP feature on it ?

I think you could be right, and the FTP implementation is buggy. Or it could be just like many FTP Server implementations, and support a limited range of commands, requiring the FTP Client software to work out what the Server can do, and use the approporiate commands to achieve the result required. Also, some FTP Servers just seem to prefer particular FTP Clients.

Anyway, I had a play using the worst, lowest common denominator FTP Client; the Windows 7 ftp.exe Client run in a Command window. This client doesn’t support Passive connections, which would be better, but then the MPW FTP Server may well require an Active connection. Certainly that is implied in the User Manual, on page 32, where it says that Passive should be disabled. Strangely I was able to change the MPW FTP Server to Passive mode though, by issuing the “quote PASV” command from within the ftp.exe Client. Not that it did me much good, since the Client can’t use Passive mode.

I was able to connect straight away, and use a few commands, such as PWD, CD, MKDIR, but I was not able to list directories using LS or DIR, and I coouldn’t send or receive files using PUT or GET. I kept getting the “425 Use PORT or PASV first.” error message.

However, when I was nearly ready to give up, I quit the FTP Client using the “Bye” command, and then reconnected . . . and it started working.

I could list directory contents, and transfered a file to the MPW using PUT, then renamed it on the MPW and copied it back using to my PC using Windows Explorer, and the file was intact.

Just to be sure, I installed the FileZilla 3.10.2 FTP Client and did a few transfers with that, in both directions, using drag and drop. It worked fine, and fast. No issues. Also, FileZilla was set to work in Passive mode, with fallback to Active mode, but it didn’t appear to do that. so the MPW FTP Server must support Passive mode. FileZilla did report that the MPW FRP Server was an “Insecure server, it does not support FTP over TLS.”

So I have to conclude that the MPW FTP Server works fine, if with a few idiosyncrasies.

Ok… so I’ve contacted WD support…and they basicaly reply [Deleted]  yourself we do not provide any FTP support!!!’ very client oriented support !!..

So I enabled ssh logged in, figured out that vsftp (the ftp server they are using) was not started even though the web UI shows it has enabled… I also edit /etc/vsftpd.conf so that  pasv is enable and also vsftp log is on… then fire vsftp…and Voila !!! it works with fizella/basic ftp client !!!

How come such company can have such crappy technical support !

Good that you got it working, but most people wouldn’t be able to do what you did, since it requires UNIX skills.

Did you try just shutting down the FTP service through the Dashboard, then restarting it? That may also have worked. Although it may have required a reboot of the MPW (power off and restart) to make it happen.

Obviously the FTP server started for me, as I was able to connect. I suspect though that it took a little while to start, which could be why I had to shut down my FTP Client software and then restart it to get it to work.

I realise I’m reviving an old thread… but I have to agree the FTP server just doesn’t work. Even in the latest F/W.

Its an advertised feature of the device… Just stating that it doesn’t work isn’t really good enough!

I’ll go fix it myself then shall I… want me to come round and sand some HDD platters for you whilst i’m at it WD?

Just to clarify I have the exact same problem as the OP, as well as the connection timing out after like 5 seconds… which is also not great when trying to diagnose the problem.

It works for me this way:
user: ftp
pass: (blank)

I read it somewhere, username “ftp” can work, I don’t know, how was I supposed to know this.
I use it with ipad, FileBrowser app.
It can use SMB1 as well.

By the way… is ftp more error safe?
SMB is more complex and slower, as it has more overhead, but depends more on stable connection, contains less error correction?