Ftp was working now its not

I had many folders setup with ftp shares and they were all working and then all of a sudden I can’t connect to any of them locally or through the intertenet.

The error I get is:

An error occurred opening that folder in the FTP server. Make sure you have permission to access that folder.

Details:

200 Switching to ASCII mode.

227 Enterting Passive Mode (68,41,170,0,19,174)

I am using my admin credentials so I really don’t know what is going on!

I just recently had a horrible time with FTP access after previously using it without incidence for quite some time, as you experienced as well.

Try this:  Create a new user account and be certain that this user has permissions to the folders desired on the Sharespace–that is not automatic and be sure to check the box “create a private user share”. 

Make sure the Sharespace has been assigned an IP addres by the router (assuming you are using one) then set the Sharespace to use that as a static address by unchecking DHCP client.  Check the appropriate settings in the router to be sure that this static address is also set or reserved. If not, the Sharespace could get a new IP address at reboot, powe cycle or for other reasons preventing access.  

Set port 21 in your router to be forwarded to the LAN side IP static address of the Sharespace assigned above. 

When the user account is created, make sure you can log in either on the LAN side or WAN side using the appropriate ip address. To eliminate possible FTP client program settings (although usually fairly simple to set up) you can use your browser to quickly check that you are able to access and see the directory of the private share, and the ther directorys or folders if permissions have been set,  In the URL address remove everything and only enter the following: ftp://(user name)@(static lan address of the sharespace)  hit enter and you should see the directory listings displayed from the sharespace to which you have enabled the user.   

Please post results of this setup. 

Apperently, something has changed with latest firmware on wd world (1.02.04). Me too, I cant acces using default settings in Internet Explorer my FTP. The workaround, which is not great at all, is to uncheck “Use Passive FTP” in IE advanced settings. I m using IE8 and last fw for WD World.

Chrome is not having trouble with that.