Ftp client with web front end

Hi Everyone,

I have a FTP server in europe that i want to download files directly to My Cloud.

I have been using Screen with Midnight Commander, but find the transfer rate terribly slow.

Looking for a ftp client preferably with a web front end that i can use to transfer files easily. SSH and multithread transfers would be a bonus.

Any ideas?

Micka

Have a look at this if it meets your needs. It is pretty good

https://filezilla-project.org/download.php?type=client

if you must use a web front end, try fireftp (to use with Firefox as an addon) pretty good too.

http://fireftp.net/

Thanks for your response, but it is not what I am looking for.

I want the client to run directly on the My Cloud.  Sort of like the Transmission client but for FTP.

Micka

Ah sorry misunderstood.

Idon’t fiddle with it, it is still a virgin for 1 1/2 years. :smileyvery-happy

Anything web front-end from WDMyCloud is less possible unless you have it installed on the nas itself which obviously involves warranty voids.

Best is still using CLI console methods. Need it to be portable? Have a SSH client installed on your on-the-go devices like the smartphones. SSH to your nas then perform the FTP commands to retrieve from your other FTP in Europe.

If you’re ready to void your warranty (period ends), LFTP is handy CLI with multithreaded and concurrent chunk transfers. One of my favourites.

But if you still insist on web front-end, OwnCloud is worth looking at. I have OwnCloud v8 installed on the v4 firmware which has the ability to mount external shares such as FTP/FTPS/SFTP and more. This requires much modifications to the WDMyCloud rootfs and of course warranty at stake.

Am interested in installing lftp on my cloud so I can transfer from my remote server in the background without using my computer.

Found this script on my servers wiki, anyone have any thoughts about it working? Beginner SSH user…

#!/bin/bash
login=“username”
pass=“password”
host=“server.feralhosting.com
remote_dir=‘~/folder/you/want/to/copy’
local_dir=“$HOME/lftp/”

base_name=“$(basename “$0”)”
lock_file=“/tmp/$base_name.lock”
trap “rm -f $lock_file” SIGINT SIGTERM
if [ -e “$lock_file” ]
then
echo “$base_name is running already.”
exit
else
touch “$lock_file”
lftp -p 22 -u “$login”,“$pass” sftp://“$host” << EOF
set sftp:auto-confirm yes
set mirror:use-pget-n 5
mirror -c -P5 --log=“/var/log/$base_name.log” “$remote_dir” “$local_dir”
quit
EOF
rm -f “$lock_file”
trap - SIGINT SIGTERM
exit
fi

I have experienced lftp, it’s quite good with parallel transfers and such, but it’s not officially installed on the MyCloud. So you need to build it yourself patched with 64k pagesize memory for v4 firmwares or use apt-get to download for v3 firmwares.

If you can’t install lftp, rsync is another option. Experienced users you could even write your own shell script with only sftp involved.

Sounds like rsync might be the simplest way to go then? I’m not against downgrading the firmware, but thought I might avoid it unless necessary.

Any chance you might be able to point me in the right direction? Finding instructions on here abit difficult to apply to my situation…

I want to auto-copy from my remote server to my local My Cloud. Can access both via SSH, but haven’t executed any commands yet aside from the well documented “disable wdphotomerge”.

Am very new w SSH but keen to learn. Is there a script published somewhere that will work w My Cloud?

Actually, on second thoughts parallel downloads would be pretty sweet on my ■■■■■■ ftp connection.
Maybe it’s worth downgrading and going the apt-get route.

Advantages/disadvantages with v3 firmware??

Rsync is quite easy. Read the switches rsync -h or look up the manual online “man rsync”. You could also find lots of script samples online. If your requirement is simple, you don’t even need a script, just use a one-liner command in your cron scheduler. Just take note of the protocol you’re using, rsync protocol you can use plain-text password file or export but ssh protocol you’ll need password-less login to be setup using rsa/dsa key pairs. If you use rsync protocol (faster than sftp but less secure), you either need to setup the rsync daemon on MyCloud or just initiate it from MyCloud, your external server needs to have rsync daemon running on the other hand.

To downgrade or not it’s up to you. Like most I prefer v4 due to its transfer speed. And I also build most of the apps I need for v4. You could build yourself of get some of them from this forum.

@Nazar78 where can i get lftp ported for v4 firmware?