FSecure firewall and my WDTV Live

Hi All,

I purchased my WDTV live 3 weeks ago and still have loads of issues that I’m unable to find solutions to on this forum. 

My first issue is my FSecure Firewall -

After struggling for almost 5days I managed to create a network share on my Win 7 PC that WDTV Live is able to see and play. Here’s the catch, the issue from day 1 was the firewall, I need to turn it off for WDTV live to be able to access N/W Shares.

Now before you all jump me sayng I need to create firewall exceptions, let me put up a defense rightaway. I read the forums here, I went through google results, and here is where I stand right now.

The FSecure online help says I need to create a HomeGroup rule which I have done. After creating the rule, I am able to access shared folders from other Laptops and Computers at home except WDTV live. :frowning:
http://www.f-secure.com/en/web/home_global/support/article/kba/15467/s/is.1586/t/is.1586.1590.1591/p/1

I tried enabling pop and log on the firewall rule, but I can;t make out jack from the logged IPs as I see 3 to 4 local IPs being logged when I power on the WDTV live and select Windows Shares. Furthermore the logs say that “Traffic was allowed through” against all these IPs.

The minute I turn off the FSecure Firewall, BAM! I am able to see all my N/W shares.

I’m all ears now…

Why do you need a firewall if you have a router ? Most of the times this is enough protection. I don’t run a firewall on my home pc and I have a server (synology nas) and websites running etc. and I do this for about 15 years now and never used a firewall on my desktop computer / laptop.

I’m not too aware about setting up a router. The first time my router firewall was turned on my torrent downloads got affected after forwarding ports used by the torrent client.

If I can get a basic guide to setting up a router firewall I would be more than happy to turn off my S/W firewall.

Any suggestions people?

pavan wrote:

Any suggestions people?

Have you tried using one of the free firewalls like Zonealarm or Commodo? I’m using Norton IS 2012 without problems. Maybe the quickest solution is just to change from FSecure. Personally I wouldn’t rely on just using the routers firewall, I believe in security in depth. But maybe I’m just paranoid :wink:

LOL, I have been using FSecure for the past 4 years, I have full license for it. So I wouldn’t change my firewall just yet.

Wrt contacting Fsecure to have the issue resolved, that is an experience by itself. My past experience with FSecure has been excellent and I went on to recommend Fsecure to a lot of people, but my last interaction with them in this issue was woeful. 

Their online chat support has been outsourced in my guess and I can never get a support representative even after waiting for nearly an hour. I ended up calling the support line and the support representative established a remote session into my PC to have a look. He messed around with my F/W settings that had nothing to do with Homegroup settings and now my torrents and many other apps have stopped working. :frowning:

After nearly 30min of prodding around and running scans he asks his supervisor to take a look, half hour later the supr repeats the same steps performed by me and asks me if I contacted the community support! :expressionless: The issue was then raised to a L2 or L1 support (i’m not sure what the Level was but it was escalated), I was told I would get a resolution in 48hrs. 48hrs later they closed me case and asked me to take a satisfaction survey. This seemed to be pointless.

I moved on from FSecure and called WD support in my country. The representative had no clue as to what a WD TV live media player was. :frowning: Having explained it to him, he too said he’d get back to me in a day as he escalated the issue to the concerned team, he called me a day later and asked me to post it on the community.

So, here I am, all eyes n ears waiting for some guidance on solving my issues with the WDTV live. This is just one of the many issues I’m facing setting it up. I don’t want to clutter the forums with many queries and then be left with no resolution.

It sounds really easy to fix.

You need to find out what ip your wd tv is using. You tell us you have 3 ip adresses. You can try which one is correct on your desktop / laptop in the browser:

For example:

http://192.168.1.101:103

If you see the wd tv login screen you have the correct ip adress. You can also see your ip adress if you go to the settings screen and go to the network information field.

Next you setup your firewall with this ip adress and it should work.

Yes, I received a call from WD customer support this morning, really helpful, 

I have placed an order for a new router, I will try out these options over the weekend and update this thread accordingly.

Hi all,

sorry for not updating earlier.

I got my router, tried messing around with the software firewall. No luck on that front. So I turned of my S/W firewall and rely on the router F/W. I must try to find some articles on what to block and allow on the router.

I assigned a static IP to the WDTV live. So now I only rarely see “Last content source has changed.” If it does pop up, I just turn off the power supply of the WDTV live and it works fine after that.

Despite the problems, this is a great little device.

pavan wrote:

Hi all,

sorry for not updating earlier.

I got my router, tried messing around with the software firewall. No luck on that front. So I turned of my S/W firewall and rely on the router F/W. I must try to find some articles on what to block and allow on the router.

I assigned a static IP to the WDTV live. So now I only rarely see “Last content source has changed.” If it does pop up, I just turn off the power supply of the WDTV live and it works fine after that.

Despite the problems, this is a great little device.

So you have abandoned trying to get FSecure working? If that’s so I would still try using a free firewall like Comodo or Zonealarm. Personally I wouldn’t rely on just your routers built-in firewall, I believe in security in depth. It’s a pity that you can’t get FSecure to work after you’ve paid for it, but there are some good free firewalls and security softwares available. You can try them without losing any more money and see if you can run a software firewall and if the SMP will still be able to see your network shares.

Here are the updates, after having abandoned the FSecure F/W, FSecure support had some senior support execs remote in to my comp 2 days ago and have a look.

They came to the conclusion that FSecure is not at fault, here is the explanation -

1. Log and Pop was enabled for incoming connections to the Computer, everytime I powered on WDTV live, I saw a pop ups appear saying connection & traffic allowed.

2. I was able to access the shared foldes from other computers on the N/W. Similar Pop ups appeared.

I spoke with a WD technician about 2 weeks ago, he told me that WD basically uses any port that is available to stream data. Based on his advice I also created a static IP for the WDTV live & now one of my problems of “the content source was changed” has been solved.

I’m just wondering if  I should be breaking my head over this issue, for now I just disable the Fsecure F/W everytime I want to stream content to the WDTV .Live. BTW, I noticed that the WDTV live is able to access the interent when the FSecure F.W is turned on. Just doesn’t see n/w shares,

I’ve uninstalled FSecure as my subscription has expired. I now use Microsoft Security Essentials & Windos Firewall. Guess what, the same problems.

With windows firewall turned on, I am unable to see n/w shares. Turning it off, everything works perfectly :S

I bought the WDTV Live Streamer/Gen 3 a few days ago and it did indeed give me a lot of headache until I realised FSecure was one of the things causing me problems.

What I have done now is:

• turn off Homegroup in network settings on computer containing shares
  • create a user on that computer, with password
  • share folders to that specific user, with read/write rights
  • assign a static IP to the device in my router settings.
  • create a custom rule in Fsecure allowing traffic to and from this IP. (instead of disabling FW to stop it from interfearing) Perhaps the rule is somewhat sloppy (as in insecure) atm, but at least it is working. 

Seem to work for the moment. Computer is running W7 Pro.

As some other commented, I personally don’t rely on my routers FW.