Frozen 3.08 firmware update

Tried to update WD live tv hub with 3.08 firmware via USB. Did as I was told using installation instructions for WD site. But was confused when it said to use .bin, .ver, and .fff files when two other files are present in the zip download: .bi2 and .info.

So thinking that the .bi2 was important (its +47 megbtes large) I left all 5 files from ZIP on top level of USB. Went to installing firmware screen and frooze at 0%.

I’ve reset and rebooted and now I’m waiting hopefilly for 3.06 to come back to life. I hate not being able to follow simple instructions but if this problem is due to confusion re: 3 files vs 5 files for firmware update somebody at WD should fix this.

Is my unit fried now that I’ve tried to reset and reboot to 3.06???

Sam  Austin

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/updates/?family=wdfwdtv_livehub

Well you never read it properly, or you would not have the question about the file ?

Did you have them in the root and how long did you wait.

Extract the four files (.BIN, .VER, .FFF and .BI2 files) to the root (top level) of a portable USB drive.

I assume that you do have a LIve HUB?

You say that you have " reset and rebooted and now I’m waiting hopefilly for 3.06 to come back to life". What are you waiting for, is the player booting up to 3.06 or is something else happening? It will either work or not.

You’re right. I was reading the install instructions for the other unit: WD TV Live.

I waited about 10-12 minutes before pulling the plug. It wouldn’t reboot to 3.06 and reset button doesn’t work now.

But I did re-insert my USB and it went back to Updating firmware screen. Am I being just too impatient? Will the install continue from this point or have I trashed the unit? The .info file is also on the USB stick. Does this matter?

Sam Austin

You should put all the files on the USB. It should only take a few minutes at the most to start after you get to the update screen. What happened when you didn’t  have the USB drive in. Do you have any other drive connected, if so disconnect it. Try another drive preferably a USB flash drive formatted to Fat32. Try on both USB ports.

1 Like

After I reinserted the USB it went immediately to Update screen and stuck at 0% another 10 minutes have gone by. I do have an external drive but it is not powered. I’ll try taking it out and putting the USB in the back as you suggest.

I’ll also reformat to FAT32 first.

What happens if you power up without any USB drive connected?

Whoa! I don’t know which change started the update but

1. after reformatting the USB to FAT 32

2. Disconnecting the external drive from rear

3. inserting USB with all 5 files in rear USB

Installing proceeding quickly and I’m now awaiting reboot as I’m typing …but  nutz I have to leave the house soon. still on Loading… screen. Can I resume this thread later? … you’ve been a great help to a 60 year old fart who gets real cranky with modern gizmos!!!

PS I have a black Northern Telecom dial-up phone that I still use when the power goes out.

I’ll report status when I get back in a few hours

Sam Austin  

Yes.all is well. Thanks for expert help and suggestions. 100% resolved!