Friend has same belkin wireless as me, but her live hub not recognize!

I have a Belkin usb for wireless, which works perfectly well on my live hub. I’ve been using it for a long time. She has a new live hub and bought the exact same Belkin as me. However, it wont recognize it in her live hub. The light is supposed to flash green on it like mine but doesnt. It wont bring up the “Wired” or “Wireless” options to set it up. Somehow its not recognziging the belkin! she updated the firmare, and even manually hooked up the internet, which worked. She installed the belkin on her computer and the belkin works fine on her computer so its not faulty. help!

It’s probably a different hardware revision.  

what do you mean? As in, because her live hub is newer than mine? The Belkin is exactly the same; same version, everything.

Anix3L wrote:

what do you mean? As in, because her live hub is newer than mine? The Belkin is exactly the same; same version, everything.

Tony is talking about the wireless adapter. It must have a hardware revision number that is on WD’s list of approved adapters. If it is on the list, check the firmware version of your hub vs her hub. Since the drivers for the wireless adapters are built in to the WD firmware, support for the Belkin might have been added in a WD firmware release. Also, try the other USB port on the hub. I have read posts by others that have had luck with one USB port and not the other.

1 Like

When i updated to the newest firmware a while back, none of my videos worked and it was a mess. Someone on this forum suggested an earlier firmware, which is from wd, and i updated my live hub with it. unfortunately, it said that it was an unoffical firmware or something, and that it voided my warranty, which is untrue, becuse its straight from the wd website! Therefore, i’m iffy to give her my version of firmware, if in fact that is the difference to why mine works, because i dont want to void her warranty. Hopefully nothign will happen to my live hub, because its ridiculous that my warranty is “void” even though im positive i updated with a wd firmware!! so sad… and thank you so much, mayebe that is the problem.

You installed the GPL library, which is *NOT* a complete firmware package.

It’s always surprised me how many people have done that because it takes a LOT of work to do that.

Here is a link to the official WD firmware rollback page for the Hub. If you use one of these firmwares, you will definitely not void your warranty. If you are having good luck with a certain firmware version, it might be worth trying it on your friend’s Hub since you both have the same hardware.

Firmware Rollback Hub

Technically, the warranty was voided as soon as the GPL library was installed.  No way to “Unvoid” it, and that warning you’re seeing will likely persist forever.

GPL library? What’s the difference? Someone sent me the link to a firmware telling me it is a version that’s is a bit older than the new one, basically a rollback frimware kind of thing. It updated just the same way as any other firmware did. It worked though, it made my live hub actually work again. But i dont really understand why that firmware would void my warranty :frowning: thanks everyone!

The GPL library is required to be published by the vendor due to GPL licensing.  It is the SOURCE CODE for all “Public” domain software (coverered under the GPL license) used in the product.

They do NOT include the source code for PROPRIETARY software.

The GPL Loader firmware, which is not COMPLETE firmware, DISABLES the DRM keys and other things so that they cannot be hacked.   One must use the GPL loader firmware before any other non-WD firmware can be loaded.

It voids the warranty because WD can no longer control what the user is doing to their system.

Anix3L wrote:

…Someone sent me the link to a firmware telling me it is a version that’s is a bit older than the new one, basically a rollback frimware kind of thing. It updated just the same way as any other firmware did. It worked though, it made my live hub actually work again. But i dont really understand why that firmware would void my warranty :frowning: thanks everyone!

Did you get the firmware that you used to update your device from the WD web page that I posted the link to in my previous post? Does the fimware that you used match one of the version numbers on the WD list?