Windows support has a registry fix that worked on my PC with Windows XP SP3. I tried everything else including purchasing Auslogics BostSpeed 5 which uninstaller also did not work. Go to this link and run the app.
This worked. I pointed to uninstall and WDSmartware. Smartware was gone. I then did a firmware update to the drive which you may not need to do and then reinstalled the latest updater of Smartware. Drive working and backing up normal once again. If tech support directs you to uninstall Smarware and you are unable to with the Windows installer/uninstaller and do not have Auslogics, which did not work in my case, then run this Windows fix for their uninstaller. Worked great for me. FINALLY. WD tech support needs to see this.