Formatting new drive in OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.2

After much wailing and gnashing of teeth, I have come to the realisation that using Disk Utility in Snow Leopard 10.6.2 is not supported by the WD TV Mini. Reading other forums, websites and (*gasp) the manual, I already knew that the Mini could only recognise unjournalled HFS+ with an APM partition (not GUID). I was reformatting my drive after retasking it for another project - whatever. Did you think that formatting or partitioning in any combination of whatever would bloody work?! The Mini steadfastly refused to acknowledge the presence of the drive. I then realised that I had done some gnashing the first time, and was coincidentally working with my *new WD My Passport on my *old computer with OS X Tiger 10.4.11. Worked. First time. Same settings. Unjournalled Mac OS Extended file system on an APM partition.

Let this be a warning to you. Oh, and if I get any smartmouth attempts at “you should have bought a windows machine” I will personally come over and extract your left eye with a spoon.

Word up, Western Digital:

1. Firmware 1.00.37 *needs to be updated to support the latest Mac OS X file system and partition.

2. If you are unlucky enough to *only have Snow Leopard and want to format a new usb drive for use with Mini:

a. Phone a friend with an older version of Disk Utility. Haven’t tested Leopard. Don’t know. Tiger works.

b. Phone a friend with Windows - NTFS should work with big partitions and big files. Get MacFuse from Google.

c. Find yourself another solution and let us all know about it. Google. Witchcraft. Whatever.

1. Or do what everyone else does, and blame Apple. This is not the most productive line of reasoning.

Now I’m going to bed.

There has been a new Release, version 1.00.60 (3/22/10), in case someone reads this.  I would update the Mini if it has an older version of firmware.

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/updates/?family=wdfwdtv_mini