Formatted the external hard drive

I have My Book Essential WDBACW0020HBK-01.
My son mistakenly formatted the drive.

Is there a way that the data can be recovered?

You can attempt data recovery via data recovery software

Years ago, as a test … i deliberately formatted a 1TB Hard drive with data on it (of course, i had a backup) to see if and how much data i could recover afterwards.

I managed to recover 99% of the data intact :slight_smile:

i used GetDataBack for NTFS at the time

But, a few things about the data recovery process

1. After formatting the hard drive … you must stop using it immediately. ie. DO NOT write any data to it. If you do, then the chances of recovering you data will decrease.

2. To perform data recovery … you need another Hard drive to recover the data too. ie. you can’t recovery the data to the same hard drive. So, in my test i used another 1TB HDD, you will have to use another 2TB HDD.

3. Data recovery takes an extremely long time … from memory i think it took about 18 to 20 Hours to recover data from a 1TB HDD … a 2TB Hard drive will take probably a couple of Days.

Final Advice … also keep a back up of your data in case of accidental formatting, accidents (drops, falls) or hard drive malfunction.

Oh, if software data recovery does not work for you, there are professional data recovery services available …but they do not come cheap. Get a quote, and be sitting down when they give it to you.

1 Like

Thank you very much.for your answer.
I think I am going to ask a professional to retrieve the data, as I don’t want to take any risk.