Folders protection via NFS

Hi,
I’ve just setup my “MyCloud PR2100” (firmware v5.08.115) and added a new share called “local”.

This share has:

• Public: OFF
  • NFS Access: ON (with Host: * and Write: ON)

My mount point for this share is: nfs://192.168.7.37/nfs/local

On the “User access” part, I’ve added one user called “stduser” on which I’ve set a password and I’ve enabled it to “Read/Write”.

Now, from Windows 10 “browse folders”, if I add a network share with the address “\192.168.7.37\nfs\local” I can succesfully read and write folders and files but no authentication is required so I can access to this share without authentication even if I’ve set as a private folder.

So what is the purpose of setting user authentication in the share if no authentication has been asked.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance

@arsenico4213 As far as I know, NFS (up to version 3) can’t be username/password protected, the only way to restrict access to NFS < version 4 is by limiting it to specific hosts. Since it’s set to " * " any machine in your local network can access those shares it as long as the user knows the NFS path.

I’d disable NFS on your PR if you don’t have a specific use for it, i.e. using fstab to mount NFS shares on a linux system or something like that. Also, sounds like you’re using Win 10 Pro or Enterprise if you can browse NFS (Home can’t). You can also deselect “Services for NFS” under Turn Windows features on or off if you choose not to use NFS on Windows.

The “Public On/Off” and “User Access” settings are for CIFS/SMB. As long as you have SMB enabled on your PR2100 You should be able to map it’s shares by either typing \\192.168.7.37\ in the explorer bar, right-clicking the share & map network drive (connect using different credentials should prompt for username/password). Or, you could go straight to the “This PC” > “Map Network Drive” wizard if you know the full SMB path.

Thanks @dhearns! Now I have disabled NFS because I don’t need it and if I visit "\192.168.7.37" now it asks me for authentication.

Thanks to you, now the difference between NFS and CIFS/SMB is more clear! :slight_smile:

1 Like