Folder thumbnails

OK finally all 4 packages are updated with Adventure, Childrens TV, and Mystery

thanks Drizz

Thanx alot tw these icons will work some reflection  is better than nothing.  i was wondering  if you can make a Boxing icon or if you can give me a little info on how to do it myself? thanx again

Give this a try.

Download HERE.

Thanx alot TW looks great!

@ Tinwarble

Do you have a ThumbGen template that creates folder thumbnails compatible with JoeySmyths Aeonish Stage 3 theme? For instance, I tried modifying his movie sheet theme to only output the image of a TV show’s season cover art, then changed it from a .png to jpg but I can’t get it to show up as the folder icon when I’ve had no problems in the past.

Thanks

PI have TG templates that I use for versions 2,3,4. 4 Being harder to load than 2 and 3

Great work drizzt09.

The link for version 4 is broken, could you reupload it? Thanks

@OSU_Buckeyes_09

No, I don’t use TG to create the folder icons, these are all created by hand, so to speak, using Gimp. 

Changing .png’s to .jpg’s doesn’t work for folder icons because  the HUB doesn’t recognized the .png’s after you change the extension for the folder thumbs.  About the only thing that you can do is to either use png’s (not changing the extension) which will not let transparency display correctly (or should I say not at all) or just use regular jpg thumbs.

The folder thumbnails have been a real point of contention, because they are just not recognized the same way the the file thumbnails are.

As for modifing Joeys moviesheet template to only generate the coverart for the thumbnails, that’s not necessary, all you need are thumbnails that are the size of mine or drizzt09 as posted on the first post.  These will work with JoeySmyths theme, or at least I know for a fact mine do, since those are the only ones I tested, I’ll have to let drizz speak for his.

for my version 4 I do everything in PhotoShop and save as PNG. I then run through TG as PNG to give it the reflection and glass. If I save it as jpg out of TG The reflection is solid. If I save it as PNG it is faded. Then I rename to jpg. Works for mine.

As for sizing for  AEonish Hubï»ż we would just need the sizing set in the XML for those icons.

As for sizing for  JoeySmyth’s Aeon ‘ish’ Home Screen + Gallery themeï»ż, Versions 2,3 and 4 are alreasy the appropriate sizing. Version 1 is the dimensions in the 1st post which are a smidgen too big. Im not at home right now but I remember  the appropriate sizing is Height: 26x pixelsï»ż / Width: 183 pixels. Cant remember the exact size for Height.

Just to help drizzt09 out a little, the Version 3 of his are 185 X 265.  I can’t tell you what version 4 is since there’s a problem with the download.

Also, just so that you know, mine are  251 X 469 with the reflections and  251 X 378 without the reflections.

Version 4 link is fixed and is the same dimensions as Versions 2 and 3 which is the exact dimension for  JoeySmyth’s Aeon ‘ish’ Home Screen + Gallery theme

Hi

I like your movie icons, could someone help me and tell me how to get this to work on the hub corn theme on my wd hub,

obviously i have a menu screen with movies,picture,music and all that on it and when i click on movies another little folder come up just saying WD TV HUB,if you click on that you get to all my movies that i have saved on the hub but wanted to know how to get a movie icon on that folder.( WD TV HUB)

Thanks Ben

If you arrange the movies into folders (Like based on Genre
Action, adventure, drama etc
), Then you need to copy the specific Icon image to that folder and rename it as “Folder.jpg” to show the folder thumbnails.

For example, if you have a movie folder called “Action” Then you need to copy the coreesponding Icon image (“Action” Icon JPG) to the folder and rename it as Folder.jpg. Then you will get these thumnails on the folder.

Thanks TW for all your efforts. I am searching “Hollywood” Icon , could some one help me to get it or just post the link where i will get it. I have organized my movies first by Language (Like Hollywood or English, French, Russian, Asian ectc) then By Genre. I got all icons Genre wise but not able to find them Language wise. Thanks!

Tinwarble,

I 'm using Mojo and have two compilation collections I can’t get folder thumbs to work. i.e., a folder named “George Carlin All My Stuff” that has 6 separate videos inside. While I can get covers for the separate videos inside the main folder, I can’t get one to show for the main folder. I tried both “folder.jpg” and tried using the name of the folder. What’s strange is I have other television shows with season folders inside that work fine using “folder.jpg”. I thought I used the same procedures for creating the jpgs as I did with the others, using Thumbgen, but obviously something isn’t right with these two folders. Any suggestions.

Thanks.

Folder thumbnails should be named “folder.jpg”.

There is a know issue with folder thumbs, where they want show up or you can’t get them to replace an old thumb.  The simplest solution, if you are trying to replace a thumb, is to rename the folder.  Try something like “Geroge Carlin - All My Stuff” (just add the “-” in the name).

Another way, and I’m adding actually 2 methods here because you might as well do both just to keep from having to do this twice, is to turn off the HUB (Standby Power).  Then access the HUB from your PC and open the .wd_tv folder and then delete the “theme” folder.   Then unplug the power cord on the HUB, then plug it back in.  Once the HUB gets through compiling look to see if you folder thumb now shows up.

If either of these don’t work let me know.  There is one other thing that you can try, but this is a last resort effort.

Whoa, almost made a grave error. I think  you meant to say delete the “thumb” folder, not the theme, right?

I deleted the thumbnail folder and it hasn’t been rebuilt, though all my thumbs are still there. I’m using a Mac and I don’t know if it’s Mac related, but there are thumb.db files in every folder. Could they be the files instead of a thumb folder?

Anyway, I knew my problem had to have a simple solution since it was limited to just those two folders. I used png thumbs renamed to jpg for the Johnny Carson folder in the TV series. Apparently there is a folder hierarchy  that at a certain level, you can’t use converted png files. I made a straight jpg and it works. Did the same for the George Carlin folder is in the Movie folder. ï»żOnly thing is, the other thumbs have the dvd covers and Carlin doesn’t. I’m wondering if I load a converted file to Photoshop and save it as a jpg it will work?

Hi.

I like the folder icons.

Here’s a list of the genres I’m using in case you (or anyone else) wants to use them to create icons:

Action/Thriller

–SUB-GENRE Classic Martial Arts

–SUB-GENRE Disaster

–SUB-GENRE Eurocrime

–SUB-GENRE Eurospy

–SUB-GENRE Krimi

–SUB-GENRE Noir

Comedy

–SUB-GENRE Dark Comedy

–SUB-GENRE Mockumentary

–SUB-GENRE Parody/Spoof

–SUB-GENRE Romantic Comedy

Documentary

Drama

–SUB-GENRE Holiday

Educational

Fantasy

–SUB-GENRE Sword & Sandal

–SUB-GENRE Swashbuckling

Historical

–SUB-GENRE Classic Western

–SUB-GENRE Spaghetti Western

Horror

–SUB-GENRE Giallo

Kids

Monsters

–SUB-GENRE Kaiju

–SUB-GENRE Vampires

–SUB-GENRE Zombies

Musical

Reality (for TV only)

Sci-Fi

–SUB-GENRE Post-Apocalyptic

–SUB-GENRE Russian Sci-Fi

Soap Opera (TV only)

Shakespeare

Superhero

Surreal

Talk Show (TV only)

Has anyone figured out how to fix the issue with the larger broken folder icon that currently just display a black box with the folder icon in it?  Right now when I navigate my movies I can see all the thumbnails at the bottom but above to the left there this black box with the little icon in it where the folder image is supposed to show up.  It’s been broken for a long time since firmware updates.  I’m somewhat handy with XML and have been looking for a way to fix it so the folder.jpg shows up where it’s supposed to, but no luck so far.  Anyone come across a way to fix this?